FiiO M3, Ultra-Portable|8G+64G|2.0" 320*240 TFT|50mW|FLAC/APE/AIFF|In line control|OGG, MP3, AAC, WMA |24 Hours|HiFi Earbuds
Dec 13, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #977 of 2,001
Try this link - http://www.fiio.net/en/products/47/parameters

It plays AAC files for me - but doesn't pick up the tags properly, so I reverted to FLAC.  Because of the file limit, it's better anyway.

Dec 13, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #979 of 2,001
I think the actual entry page is having issues

Dec 13, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #980 of 2,001
Nope - we aren't.

We all have different ideas between what is acceptable / usable, and all have different needs and wants.  I haven't been making excuses for Fiio, I haven't been building something up because it is Fiio - I have merely been reporting my experience with it.

I have (at my disposal) :
M3, X1, X3ii, X5, X5ii, Luxury & Precision L5 Pro and LP5 (those last two are $800 and $1300) - - oh and my iPhone 5S

Price wise the above range from $55 to over $1000.

I'll use the LP5 for full sized headphones.  It shines.  It has a really basic UI as well.

I use the X3ii for most of my review work.

But when I am heading out and about, or going to bed at night - I use the M3, and I'll continue to use the M3 even after my review is posted. Why - small, portable, sounds good, easy to navigate.

It's not a lemon.  It's not complete - and I get that some people (especially on this site) tend toward a bit of OCD (I do myself with things like tagging).

But you have a couple of very vocal individuals who are giving their opinion that the M3 is unusable.  I am proof (so is my daughter) that for other people, it is marvellous.  When I post my review on Headfonia - it will list the good and the bad.  But it wouldn't matter to me whose brand is on it.  I love this little device.  And for $55 (IMHO) it is a winner.

If Fiio does introduce a lemon - I'll be the first to let you know.

Since when is it OK to sell something that's incomplete? I don't buy incomplete new cars, appliances, and I expect the same for my electronics as well. I realize you and others accept the M3 for what it is, but I don't know why you'd bother with it with all the stuff you listed...just saying. I'm guessing FiiO provided you with yours for review like they have with other devices. I had to buy one and I felt cheated when I got it. I felt this way because I've had such good experiences with my other FiiO products and this one not so much. I'm not going to go through them all again, but this is not acceptable IMO. You said it yourself, it's incomplete. I never said it was unusable, but it was for my needs. I look forward to reading your review.

Dec 13, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #981 of 2,001
Look, I think you're not fully understanding the idea of a 'incomplete' DAP.

I have only come across one very buggy DAP and that would be the Hippo Biscuit+. Despite it's superb sound quality, it was unable to organise and play an album properly, and the shuffle button was buggy and would not shuffle correctly. Even tho it did play a song, it's numbering system was a mystery to me. It wouldn't follow id3tags nor filenames for it's ordering, I suspect the Shuffle aspect was broken or indeed perhaps it was playing the songs in order of being copied to sd card. When activating the Shuffle it would hardly shuffle at all, of 200 or so songs it would prefer to choose and focus on 10 or so to begin with and towards the end start to only shuffle between 2 tracks lol. It got stuck basically, and crashed often.

Now, if the M3 can play an album all the way through, Shuffle works as you'd expect, EQ works etc, then in many eyes it's complete enough. Hell... from a functionality perspective it already trumps a Alien Shozy (which is a screenless DAP).

Personally I would call an incomplete DAP something that is failing to do the very basics such as play an album all the way through, not allow for adjustment of volume etc.

Dec 13, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #982 of 2,001
Look, I think you're not fully understanding the idea of a 'incomplete' DAP.

I have only come across one very buggy DAP and that would be the Hippo Biscuit+. Despite it's superb sound quality, it was unable to organise and play an album properly, and the shuffle button was buggy and would not shuffle correctly. Even tho it did play a song, it's numbering system was a mystery to me. It wouldn't follow id3tags nor filenames for it's ordering, I suspect the Shuffle aspect was broken or indeed perhaps it was playing the songs in order of being copied to sd card. When activating the Shuffle it would hardly shuffle at all, of 200 or so songs it would prefer to choose and focus on 10 or so to begin with and towards the end start to only shuffle between 2 tracks lol. It got stuck basically, and crashed often.

Now, if the M3 can play an album all the way through, Shuffle works as you'd expect, EQ works etc, then in many eyes it's complete enough. Hell... from a functionality perspective it already trumps a Alien Shozy (which is a screenless DAP).

Personally I would call an incomplete DAP something that is failing to do the very basics such as play an album all the way through, not allow for adjustment of volume etc.

Incomplete weren't my words. It was the word Brooko used to describe the M3. I know what it means. The M3 has bugs, errors, quirks, or whatever you want to call its problems. It comes down to what you're willing to put up with. Some are fine with it, others are not. I'd like to see FiiO address everyone's concerns, but they're remaining silent so far.

Dec 13, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #983 of 2,001
Since when is it OK to sell something that's incomplete? I don't buy incomplete new cars, appliances, and I expect the same for my electronics as well. I realize you and others accept the M3 for what it is, but I don't know why you'd bother with it with all the stuff you listed...just saying. I'm guessing FiiO provided you with yours for review like they have with other devices. I had to buy one and I felt cheated when I got it. I felt this way because I've had such good experiences with my other FiiO products and this one not so much. I'm not going to go through them all again, but this is not acceptable IMO. You said it yourself, it's incomplete. I never said it was unusable, but it was for my needs. I look forward to reading your review.

It's OK as long as the market continues to buy incomplete things. Once people decide a certain standard is required and then manufacturers fail to meet that standard (and go out of business accordingly) then a standard is defined.
Believe me, I'm not trying to put you off guard. I have extremely high standards for a DAP to meet, and hardly any tick my boxes. It's why Fiio have yet to receive any of my funds.
But using your above example or cars and appliances, yes some of those have higher standards, but electronics... um nope.
How many times have we upgraded to a new OS or bought a new computer for it only to fail in delivering what is expected? Yet it's become common place. It's why I'm still win 8 and not Win 10 till 6-12 months pass and they have ironed out the bugs and (driver) issues. Not worth the pain imo.
Sadly people have low expectations for a DAP and are happy to put up with crap all for the sake of that glorious 'high sound quality'....

Dec 13, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #984 of 2,001
You guys crack me up, obviously there are no standards established in the DAP market but you are never going to please everyone no matter what. Yes, sound quality is first and foremost for many if us out here and other features come after. I like others are fine with what the M3 offers and yes most hope some features canbe upgraded but like I and Brooko have said for the price it meets our needs.

Glad you smart guys have all saved your money so you can buy a DAP that better meets your needs:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: maybe y'all could form a group, hire your own engineer and build yourultimate DAP. Don't forget to do that for $55 also:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Dec 13, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #985 of 2,001
Yaaa...i'd like to see someone build a "complete/d" dap for 50, okkk 60!! :)

Dec 13, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #986 of 2,001
I think the M3 is a fine DAP! It just doesn't tick my boxes, I also have a i9+ that weighs 40g and a clip+ as well as other small light DAPs so it's not a necessary purchase for me. Don't put me in the naysayer group lol, I have nothing against Fiio (and own a few Fiio amps etc), good company imo. But you know Fiio gotta take it on the chin when they release a DAP that clearly limits it's full potential.

Dec 13, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #987 of 2,001
Yep - nailed it.  Currently its a good DAP.  With the UI fixed it has the potential to be a great DAP.  Hopefully Fiio recognise this and act quickly.

Quote:
  I think the M3 is a fine DAP! It just doesn't tick my boxes, I also have a i9+ that weighs 40g and a clip+ as well as other small light DAPs so it's not a necessary purchase for me. Don't put me in the naysayer group lol, I have nothing against Fiio (and own a few Fiio amps etc), good company imo. But you know Fiio gotta take it on the chin when they release a DAP that clearly limits it's full potential.

Dec 13, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #988 of 2,001
Fiio can keep its chin up for a superbsoundg 55$dap...
Abt 100 lossless albums...abt a day's usage...tiny pocketprint...
StartplayFFstop...the basicstuff....
for regularfolks, a great intro to audiobliss.

Gonna be a fantastic christmas present to receive :)

Dec 13, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #990 of 2,001
Anybody has any problem with the bopping issue? I was thinking of getting between a m3 or a x1, the bopping sounds annoys me a lot, does anybody else has the same problem too?

What is a 'bopping issue' anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back