FiiO M3, Ultra-Portable|8G+64G|2.0" 320*240 TFT|50mW|FLAC/APE/AIFF|In line control|OGG, MP3, AAC, WMA |24 Hours|HiFi Earbuds
Dec 12, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #961 of 2,001
Dec 12, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #964 of 2,001
Guys, aren't we getting to a point where if fiio puts a rock in a box, we'll praise it and call it the best thing out there and declare it a sansa killer just because it says fiio on the box? I don't have the M3, only the x1 and x3ii which I like, but this one seems that people are trying so hard to like it, "yeah, it has errors and the ui it's bad, but maybe fiio will solve it later...that's fiio", when the x3 and the x1 came out they were great out of the box, the ex1 sound amazing, but for this one seems like people really have to "force" themselves to like, if fiio rushed this product for the christmas market that's ok, many companies do that too, but we should no be so easy as consumers, because right now I feel (but hopefully fiio does not) that the word "ffio" is a placebo for many of us here and we just go "woow" with whatever they get out.

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #965 of 2,001
  Guys, aren't we getting to a point where if fiio puts a rock in a box, we'll praise it and call it the best thing out there and declare it a sansa killer just because it says fiio on the box? I don't have the M3, only the x1 and x3ii which I like, but this one seems that people are trying so hard to like it, "yeah, it has errors and the ui it's bad, but maybe fiio will solve it later...that's fiio", when the x3 and the x1 came out they were great out of the box, the ex1 sound amazing, but for this one seems like people really have to "force" themselves to like, if fiio rushed this product for the christmas market that's ok, many companies do that too, but we should no be so easy as consumers, because right now I feel (but hopefully fiio does not) that the word "ffio" is a placebo for many of us here and we just go "woow" with whatever they get out.

Nope - we aren't.

We all have different ideas between what is acceptable / usable, and all have different needs and wants.  I haven't been making excuses for Fiio, I haven't been building something up because it is Fiio - I have merely been reporting my experience with it.

I have (at my disposal) :
M3, X1, X3ii, X5, X5ii, Luxury & Precision L5 Pro and LP5 (those last two are $800 and $1300) - - oh and my iPhone 5S

Price wise the above range from $55 to over $1000.

I'll use the LP5 for full sized headphones.  It shines.  It has a really basic UI as well.

I use the X3ii for most of my review work.

But when I am heading out and about, or going to bed at night - I use the M3, and I'll continue to use the M3 even after my review is posted. Why - small, portable, sounds good, easy to navigate.

It's not a lemon.  It's not complete - and I get that some people (especially on this site) tend toward a bit of OCD (I do myself with things like tagging).

But you have a couple of very vocal individuals who are giving their opinion that the M3 is unusable.  I am proof (so is my daughter) that for other people, it is marvellous.  When I post my review on Headfonia - it will list the good and the bad.  But it wouldn't matter to me whose brand is on it.  I love this little device.  And for $55 (IMHO) it is a winner.

If Fiio does introduce a lemon - I'll be the first to let you know.

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #966 of 2,001
I think people just need to step back a bit and realise that we all use our DAPs differently, and what feature may be lacking on one unit may be a deal breaker for some, for others it's not.

The Fiio M3 is not for me, but at it's price point I can see it being of value to some other people I know.

I think there can be a lot of 'fan boy' syndrome floating around, and not just for Fiio. Sony, Cowon and many others get these kinda followers, and it's kinda to be expected.

We all have a 'wish list' in a DAP but we need to remember that our own needs are not necessarily the needs of others. I'm prolly one of the hardest consumers to satisfy in the DAP market, because high on my wishlist is a dedicated EQ button (thank you AP100!), in the past I have tried to use Cowons in a way to enable EQ toggling to be fast and quick, if other DAPs are unable to toggle EQ quickly then I quickly pass on them.

Different wants and needs, that's all.

I just feel a little peeved that we have come to accept that many DAPs will have a suspected file limit, yet the manufacturer can often remain silent on this until it's too late for the consumer as it is found out in their manual or trial and error. Nowadays I have to go looking for a pdf for a manual to try and discover all these hidden negatives before i pull my wallet out! Companies can be really sneaky.

For Fiio to advertise 64gb card supported, yet cap at 3700-4000 tracks is a little naughty, basically to fill that 64gb card you would have to FLAC and not mp3, in which case it's really a 32gb Mp3 player, not a 72gb mp3 player etc.

Fiio arn't the only guilty party here, Hidizs were at it to. Luckily I have been around awhile now to know and suspect such things, it can matter if yer someone like me who likes to Shuffle All their collection etc.

Anyway, i;m starting to sound like a broken record. I enjoy Brooko's views as well as the other chaps who come at it from another (negative) perspective, it brings balance to the thread and ultimately informs potential buyers best. What i don't like is a one sided view, it never paints the picture accurately. Go on Amazon and look at the top and low rated reviews, this will show you the products true colours and highlight it's strengths and weaknesses best.

Carry on as u were lol

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #967 of 2,001
But like you said, "It's not complete", so why is it on the street? shouldn't it be still inside of fiio being tested and completed, like, every other product out there? we do tend to forgive fiio for everything and just wait for updates to see if something is fixed, and I'm not even complaining about it, I'm just following the thread, but what I see is "not complete, no aiff, errors, bugs, songs limit, hiss, bad ui, etc", and yeah, it's just $55, but aren't the clips cheaper wich much better navigation and less errors when you take them out of the box? it even seems that a 1st gen ipod from like 15 years ago have better ui (not talking about the sound, just the interface experience), and I don't think that people is complaining about it being difficult to use, or unusable, just that it could be better, I'll surely get one later, even if it won't play my hdtracks albums, but just for a quick grab when going out, I was from the first day, but since it looks like something rushed for the christmas market, I will rather wait for the updates that fix those reported errors and meanwhile I'll just get an xduoo x3 and a black fiio x1.

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #968 of 2,001
'Complete' is in the eye of the beholder tho isn't it. For some this is complete enough, for others it's not. I have personally never held a 'complete' DAP because nothing has ticked every box for me. If it plays music, an album, then it's complete to a degree isn't it. What matters here (on head fi) is complete disclosure, we want to know and find out if it has such bugs and limits so that our users can then decide if that's a deal breaker or not.

You can look at it two ways;

1) Either Fiio releases buggy incomplete players and then has a track record of appeasing us later on

or...

2) Fiio release a basic DAP that fits many peoples needs but at a later date spend more time and effort on it to make it even better to satisfy their fan/customer base (as well as attracting potential new buyers).

Dec 12, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #969 of 2,001
I will "settle" for the x3ii.... cant go wrong
taking the cue from brooko
Since X3ii is the reference dap for his reviews.

Now to wait for the x3ii price to get down to 55$ :)

Dec 12, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #970 of 2,001
I will "settle" for the x3ii.... cant go wrong
taking the cue from brooko
Since X3ii is the reference dap for his reviews.

Now to wait for the x3ii price to get down to 55$ :)

Good luck with that!

Dec 13, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #971 of 2,001
For Fiio to advertise 64gb card supported, yet cap at 3700-4000 tracks is a little naughty

I don't think it's a coincidence that this and another player that uses the same RAM limited SOC (Clip Sport) suffer the 4K limit. Some of us saw this coming.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/780622/fiio-m3-ultra-portable-8g-64g-2-0-320-240-tft-50mw-flac-ape-aiff-in-line-control-ogg-mp3-aac-wma-24-hours-hifi-earbuds/240#post_11966145

Users who are viewing this thread

Back