FiiO M3, Ultra-Portable|8G+64G|2.0" 320*240 TFT|50mW|FLAC/APE/AIFF|In line control|OGG, MP3, AAC, WMA |24 Hours|HiFi Earbuds
Jan 7, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #1,171 of 2,001
It's impossible for now. DAC and amp require more power and bigger battery. So, X3-2 playing for 20+ hours will have thickness like 2 stacked X3-2s

There's a way to almost do thar
I would really like see something like fiio x3 2nd with at least fiio m3 battery life.

There's a way to almost do that. Make the X3II with a user replaceable battery and then you can carry extra batteries with you.

Jan 7, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #1,172 of 2,001

So there's no difference in sound quality at all? From what I know lossless is not having any data loss when its compressed but smaller in size than WAV, AIFF or other uncompressed format?

None. If anything whatever you use to play it might have some software issue that even when compatible makes one sound different, or it's placebo. Either way the determinant for what you use depends on where you are on the Drag n' Drop vs iTunes Sync spectrum.

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #1,173 of 2,001

So there's no difference in sound quality at all? From what I know lossless is not having any data loss when its compressed but smaller in size than WAV, AIFF or other uncompressed format?

None. If anything whatever you use to play it might have some software issue that even when compatible makes one sound different, or it's placebo. Either way the determinant for what you use depends on where you are on the Drag n' Drop vs iTunes Sync spectrum.

I agree there's no difference at all. I've tested the same song on both FLAC and ALAC and hear no difference. Maybe its just me.

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #1,175 of 2,001
Hi, I'm a newbie here, please be kind. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm looking for a good DAP companion when I'm traveling (I'm only using my OnePlus One with V4a after my Rockboxed Clip Zip gave up on me), and I've been eyeing the M3 for its SQ and Battery Life. The only two I've looked at are the Fiio X3 (2nd hand) and the Xduoo X3. But the M3 trumps them in battery life. 

A Fiio representative replied to my email and said;

"Yes, we may make some more edition M3, such as black, and the ETA is this month if everything goes well."

Can anyone corroborate this? That a new color (black) will be made available? 

Thank you!

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #1,176 of 2,001
Hi, I'm a newbie here, please be kind. :)

I'm looking for a good DAP companion when I'm traveling (I'm only using my OnePlus One with V4a after my Rockboxed Clip Zip gave up on me), and I've been eyeing the M3 for its SQ and Battery Life. The only two I've looked at are the Fiio X3 (2nd hand) and the Xduoo X3. But the M3 trumps them in battery life. 

A Fiio representative replied to my email and said;

"Yes, we may make some more edition M3, such as black, and the ETA is this month if everything goes well."

Can anyone corroborate this? That a new color (black) will be made available? 

Thank you!

That response from FiiO answers your question. No one here is going to be able to tell you anything more.

Jan 9, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #1,178 of 2,001
Got an M3 two days ago. Thought i would do a mini-review.
Please note i will not comment on audio quality because (a) i don't class myself as an audiophile and (b) i've damaged my hearing quite severely from years of loud techno, driving very noisy 4x4s and shooting...

As a bit of history I have had MP3/DAC players since i first bought an Archos Jukebox back in 2000. I then moved up to a Nex 2, followed by numerous others, iRiver H140, Samsung Yepp U (loved it), Sony (something), then in 2009(?) I bought my first Sansa. I bought a Clip + in June which the headphone socket recently failed on. I also have had MP3 playing car stereos since 2007. I think it's fair to say i know what i want to see in a player.
I have never owned an Apple player and refuse to have a player that requires software onto it- drag and drop only.
I hated the first Sansa immediately- I could not stand the interface - I always prefer to use folders and filenames ONLY due to the nature of the music i usually listen to - Techno DJ mixes, podcasts. I don't need or want the hassle of mp3 tagging. The original Sansa firmware of course does not allow this- i was however familiar with RockBox and as soon as i put that on, i was more than happy. Clip+ got it after the box was opened.

I did a hell of a lot of research before buying the M3 to replace the Clip+. Player had to be small, with a good battery life for long flights. Plastic was a bonus in my case as i would be confident to put in a pocket with my mobile phone and not damage it (Xduoo x2 got discounted for this).

On arrival i was happy with the player - ? I would have preferred 'black' but as they are not available, tough. Nice touch to have the screen protector already fitted in dust free environment. Reading other reviews helped with some of the initial niggles, such as putting into English from Chinese.
Music was perfectly easy to transfer over.
Sound quality is fantastic- even for my (medically investigated and confirmed) damaged ears. There have been points when listening to pieces of music i know very well to hear "new" sounds, even to the point of shocking me (thinking there is someone behind me etc.).

Now to what i don't like............. (i direct this towards people from Fiio who i hope are reading)

I have a couple of issues with the firmware (i'm on the latest 1.5, which i easily installed on arrival)

1. Most important point that is making me dither over whether this player is a keeper or not.... The FastForward through a track is awful, way too slow with no acceleration. This is a key point for me- some of the tracks i have are 3 or 4 hours long. If i want to skip through to, say, halfway with this player it is nigh on impossible... This is something easily achieved by so many cheap players i have owned.
Player needs Fast Forward and Rewind seeking within track to speed up - Please address this Fiio!

2. When the track is playing you get the picture of a record playing..... this is pretty useless if you ask me and the screen could be used so much more productively. Maybe a spectrum? Maybe a channel display? Again, these are simple things my Sansas could do.
Important to me on the display is the mp3 bitrate. The display shows "44khz, 16bit" ..... it would be great if it could show the bitrate on teh playing screen, rather than having to open up the track info screen from in the menus.
Fiio- please add bitrate to playing screen.

Thanks for listening to my requests Fiio...... If there are any reasons why these possibly couldn't be implemented on the player that anyone knows of please let me know, i am keen to hear it.

Jan 10, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #1,180 of 2,001
i bough some cheap cases with clips made for crapple nano 7th gen.
will be removing the clip and attaching it to the m3
sandisk players have been going way down hill since the clip plus.
a clip version with better specs will blow sandisk away, period.
also, 128 gb capacity, seriously, portable flac, thats just too cool.

Jan 10, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #1,181 of 2,001
I had another long play with the player last night.
There are some issues that have been raised before that i will highlight as problems for me too.....

There is the niggling issue of folders being sorted by the time they are put on, not alphabetically, so the Root folder of my SD card with the folder titles (band names, DJs, Dated folders) are just one random list. It's not too much of an issue at the moment with a pretty empty card, but as it fills up this will become exceptionally annoying when searching for something. I know this is a FAT issue, but believed that in this day and age it could be overcome with software.....

Carrying on from above, despite album tracks being labelled correctly for sorting with numbers and leading zeroes- 01,02,03,etc. the player STILL views them out of order.. so these need to be FATsorted when they shouldn't.

When viewing folders the names are truncated and they do not scroll. I have Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin I to Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV..... All i can see is "Led Zeppelin - Led Z" so guessing in the dark which album folder is which. Unless i rename the folders which i don't really want to do.

There is another issue, but i've forgotten it now.

The good news is that all these issues are software related, so, possibly, they could be remedied...........

Jan 10, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #1,182 of 2,001
Do check that you're on the latest firmware 1.5:

Instructions on updating the M3:
http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40871&extra=

Direct link to update file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/amw07dd2gq6cl08/FiiO_M3_FW1.5.zip?dl=0

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 10, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #1,183 of 2,001
Still has sorting issues even with 1.5 Joe

Jan 10, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #1,185 of 2,001
I outlined some of the issues on my M3 review for Headfonia.  Should be published in a few days.  Just waiting for it to be posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back