FiiO M3, Ultra-Portable|8G+64G|2.0" 320*240 TFT|50mW|FLAC/APE/AIFF|In line control|OGG, MP3, AAC, WMA |24 Hours|HiFi Earbuds
Jan 13, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #1,201 of 2,001
  The M3 review I wrote is posted HERE on Headfonia for those interested.  Headfonia doesn't include screenshots of the UI, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy the M3 off Fiio, and when I do, can then repost the review on Head-Fi as well in a couple of weeks (with all the images included).

There were some issues with the site yesterday but everything is back online. Sorry if someone missed it because of this.

Jan 13, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #1,202 of 2,001
My 2-cents worth -

24-hours ago, I receive my M3. I have read that it is tiny, but not this tiny compared to my X3 1st gen., X3II and X1.

Sound-wise, with my Ortofon EQ-5, I find it refreshingly clear and clean compared to the darker X3 1st gen. My subjective ears, old pair at 55 years of usage, take it to be closer to X3II's sound signature, albeit a tad brighter and with
"less body."  My X1 sounds "fuller" with the same music tracks I normally listen to. The X3II to my ears is more mature.

I had more than a few "toyish" looking and feeling DAPs through the years. Sandisk's Clip+, Express, e130 and a couple of Creative players. The "heftier" ones were an iTouch 5th and a Fuze.  This M3 to my hands is very toyish.

For its sound quality, size and weight - the M3 is a good buy for those who simply like to carry a very light and "straight music player."  As in,  arrange the folders, press play, adjust the volume and then go.

Still, I have no reason what so ever to like the UI. The buttons are far from easy due to these feeling cramped. I prefer the more tactile buttons on theClip+.

Some of my files - from the same album - will stop in the middle of playing.

Had it been I can still buy a Clip+ and Rockbox it, I would have less curiosity to buy this.  There is no return policy where I come from. Thus, it stays with me, not with much regret.

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #1,203 of 2,001
It's a standard Brainwavz IEM case Pod. You can find them at MP4Nation.

I'm such a dork, had two of these cases just sitting idle
blink.gif
Just missing the red! Would have really set that silver cable off though
wink_face.gif

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #1,204 of 2,001
My M3 review is up: http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-m3-digital-portable-music-player/reviews/15005

And also for those who haven't checked it yet, Paul (@Brooko) did a fantastic job with his review on Headfonia: http://www.headfonia.com/review-fiio-m3-ultra-portable-audio/1/ - definitely check it out!!!

Also, because Recent Reviews list at the bottom of head-fi page only shows the latest review post if two reviews of the same product were posted, Justin (@BloodyPenguin) also uploaded his great review of M3 early today: http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-m3-digital-portable-music-player/reviews/15001 - and if I'm not mistaken, tonight he is sleeping on a couch in the living room after calling M3 his "sexy bedside companion"
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #1,205 of 2,001
  My M3 review is up: http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-m3-digital-portable-music-player/reviews/15005

And also for those who haven't checked it yet, Paul (@Brooko) did a fantastic job with his review on Headfonia: http://www.headfonia.com/review-fiio-m3-ultra-portable-audio/1/ - definitely check it out!!!

Also, because Recent Reviews list at the bottom of head-fi page only shows the latest review post if two reviews of the same product were posted, Justin (@BloodyPenguin) also uploaded his great review of M3 early today: http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-m3-digital-portable-music-player/reviews/15001 - and if I'm not mistaken, tonight he is sleeping on a couch in the living room after calling M3 his "sexy bedside companion"
biggrin.gif

As Quintin T. would say "Nice Work"
bigsmile_face.gif
I will say the Bloody Penquin might have a priority problem
rolleyes.gif
Loves my M3, really need to do a review but alas it would pale in comparison to you and Paul's work
redface.gif

Mine is nowhere near my bed
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Jan 14, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #1,206 of 2,001
biggrin.gif

The couch is awful, but at least I have my FiiO M3!  
tongue.gif

--

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #1,207 of 2,001
I have a limited offer to buy a new 8GB Clip+ for €37 on the other hand the best price I can find M3 is €69 (I'm in a bit of a hurry so just EU shops plus I want the warranty)
I already have a quite portable DAP, my trusty 2007 Creative Zen (1st gen) that still goes strong and I really enjoy the simple, but effective UI and the color display.
Should I upgrade from Zen? I can clearly hear that the sound is not the best but I don't know if it's worth the try.

My needs:
1. The best SQ
2. Shuffle the entire library, 80% of my listening time
3. Full SD library integration
4. Strictly IEM use,
5. UI where I can browse both in Genres, Artists etc and folders too
6. Best buttons possible for an absolute blind use
7. Color screen is far better than OLED, I want to browse around album arts
8. Radio is a useful option

My whole collection is perfectly organized in folders and tagged, I would like to carry with me more than 6000 files. Only MP3s and FLACs
Generally what I truly need is a Zen with better SQ, more GBs and better battery. Would M3 be that one or should I settle with the old Clip+? I'm more comfortable on spending less than €40 for a "simple" DAP.

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #1,208 of 2,001
Great reviews.

All three give a little something different. The photos are great.

I`m working on a FiiO M3 and FiiO EX1 earphones as an ulimate budget combo set review at the moment.

Jan 14, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #1,209 of 2,001

As Quintin T. would say "Nice Work"
bigsmile_face.gif
I will say the Bloody Penquin might have a priority problem
rolleyes.gif
Loves my M3, really need to do a review but alas it would pale in comparison to you and Paul's work
redface.gif

Mine is nowhere near my bed
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Haha thats a pretty similar setup to what Im using now with the hyperions. I use old, more worn out tri flange tips from my etymotics on them though, where did you get those tips?

Jan 14, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #1,211 of 2,001
Haha thats a pretty similar setup to what Im using now with the hyperions. I use old, more worn out tri flange tips from my etymotics on them though, where did you get those tips?

Aliexpress, bought a bag of like 200 (lifetime supply) for $10! If you PM me a mailing address I'll drop a couple pair in an envelope for you or I can just post the link to them tomorrow:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jan 14, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #1,212 of 2,001
Question: Would this FiiO M3 gives better music Sound Quality than a Cell Phone like Samsung Galaxy S5 w/ when using FLAC Files? Is there is big difference in Sound Quality ? 

Well as you know we all hear things/music differently but for me my M3 sounds better than my iPhone 6. Can't speak for the Samsung as I've never owned or heard their music playback.

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #1,213 of 2,001
Aliexpress, bought a bag of like 200 (lifetime supply) for $10! If you PM me a mailing address I'll drop a couple pair in an envelope for you or I can just post the link to them tomorrow:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Haha thats very generous of you but I'm out in Australia so it may be a bit much to ask. The third and larger flange on my Etymotic tips has some overhang and that allows me to insert the buds deeper than usual which is why I use them - in order to be more conformable sleeping- do these tips also overhang the nozzle? I'm in no need for some new tips as I have a fair few that work well anyway :) 

Jan 15, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #1,214 of 2,001
M3 definitely sounded better/clearer/more involving than my clip+ and samsung note1 ..all on wav.

And the X1 takes the clarity up a notch...:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back