FiiO M3, Ultra-Portable|8G+64G|2.0" 320*240 TFT|50mW|FLAC/APE/AIFF|In line control|OGG, MP3, AAC, WMA |24 Hours|HiFi Earbuds
Jan 5, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #1,156 of 2,001
Bummer. Have so many files converted and now will have to redo them just for this player
frown.gif

Why would you use ALAC when FLAC is just so much better?

Jan 5, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #1,158 of 2,001
1. Music has been organized through iTunes for years of collecting. ITunes doesn't rip my cds to flac.

2. I have some Flac and don't notice much difference between the two in sound quality and file sizes are about same.

iTunes to rip CDs? Bad idea. If you are on Windows, use EAC to rip CDs. Get an app to play FLAC. iTunes to organize? Yeah right! iTunes is very disorganized.

Jan 5, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #1,159 of 2,001
1. Music has been organized through iTunes for years of collecting. ITunes doesn't rip my cds to flac.

2. I have some Flac and don't notice much difference between the two in sound quality and file sizes are about same.

If you have music in ALAC and need a good converter (save re-ripping), try dbpoweramp - https://www.dbpoweramp.com/

Uses multiple cores, converts practically anything, and can also rip securely (same as EAC).  Would be able to convert your entire collection pretty quickly. 

Jan 5, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #1,161 of 2,001
The full version is USD 39.00, but IMO worth paying for.  I use it every week in some form or other - I just find it is a swiss army knife for most of my audio needs.

Jan 5, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #1,163 of 2,001
  The full version is USD 39.00, but IMO worth paying for.  I use it every week in some form or other - I just find it is a swiss army knife for most of my audio needs.

dbpoweramp is one of those quiet in the background softwares, but fabulous for ripping, converting, and manipulating music.  Agree!  I used it for ripping and creating two different formats, flac and mp3 in their parallel respective directory universes....It converts pretty much anything to anything and you can build the algorithm to sort and do bulk changes....

Jan 6, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #1,164 of 2,001

Hi JWolf,

How is FLAC better than ALAC? Can you explain? Better in terms of sound quality? All I know is both are lossless format. Thanx.

Better in terms of compression and better in terms of support. There are apps for iPhones/iPads that will play FLAC.  side benefit of FLAC is that you don't have t use the awful music app in iOS 9

Jan 6, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #1,165 of 2,001
I applied for the M3 tour, but wasn't selected :frowning2: So I bought my own M3 :)

Briefly, here are my impressions...

Pros: Ultra-small and portable. Good sound quality for its size. Long battery life. Rated as supporting 64 Gb microSD cards, but with the right type of card (I’m using a SanDisk Ultra PLUS), it seems to be capable of providing 200 Gb in storage. That’s, quite literally, huge. My entire music collection, in lossless format, can now be played back from something the size of a matchbox. Wow :)

Cons: Some quirks with UI and supported filetypes. No gapless playback. High noise floor. Plastic body. Volume buttons awkward to access with the device in your pocket. Refuses to play large AAC files. Doesn't sound as good as the X1 when paired with my SE846. (Sadly, I can't agree with those that claim the SQ is better than that of an iPhone, but it's acceptable for portable use where you're likely to have some inherent levels of background noise anyway.)

James - is there any chance the large-file AAC issue might be fixed with a future firmware update?

Jan 6, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #1,166 of 2,001

Hi JWolf,

How is FLAC better than ALAC? Can you explain? Better in terms of sound quality? All I know is both are lossless format. Thanx.

Better in terms of compression and better in terms of support. There are apps for iPhones/iPads that will play FLAC.  side benefit of FLAC is that you don't have t use the awful music app in iOS 9

I see. Thanx for the clarification. Cheers!

Jan 6, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #1,168 of 2,001

iTunes is a PITA to work with unless you really love Apple and aren't going to use anything else; FLAC on the other hand is easy to use on anything that isn't Apple. Those non-Apple players being talked about here for example were prompted by people who prefer drag and drop over iTunes, so they got drag and drop, and since it's easier to find Windows programs to rip to FLAC along with players that can read it, then there you go.

Jan 7, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #1,169 of 2,001

Hi JWolf,

It's not "better" in terms of sound but in terms of convenience since iTunes is a PITA to work with unless you really love Apple and aren't going to use anything else.

So there's no difference in sound quality at all? From what I know lossless is not having any data loss when its compressed but smaller in size than WAV, AIFF or other uncompressed format?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back