[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Apr 19, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #5,357 of 5,701
Let us know how the journey progresses to get the unit fixed. Might be some valuable information. My biggest dread is when the battery dies and how to replace it when it’s time. I really wish they would switch to user replacement batteries. It’s so easy to do with my scuba diving computer

Apr 19, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #5,358 of 5,701
Let us know how the journey progresses to get the unit fixed. Might be some valuable information. My biggest dread is when the battery dies and how to replace it when it’s time. I really wish they would switch to user replacement batteries. It’s so easy to do with my scuba diving computer
Just buy a completely custom made order battery (cit.)

But yeah it seems most recent TOTL / high end gear getting beautiful metal screws in the backplate for easy battery access, already that is a first important step.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #5,359 of 5,701
@FiiO
So, today I tried to switch on my 16 months old M17 for a whole hour before I started recording.
It took another 17 minutes (it could have been easily another 2 hours or even a complete failure to boot-up)
Other than some inevitable rubbing against the leather case, the unit, as you can all imagine, has been looked after with meticulous care.
As you can all see at the end of the video, the unit is fully charged but, notice that while failing to boot, the unit won’t charge.
I have tried everything I can think off to resolve it to no avail and sadly, the issue is getting worse with every passing day. I am upset beyond measure.

Dear friend,

As we discussed before, it is recommended to send the M17 back to us in China for repair.
And we are contacting the seller about your requirement currently. Will contact you again when we get the reply from the engineer.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 22, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #5,360 of 5,701
I'm not loving the included leather case. It's fine, just not my favorite. I've previously owned and really liked the Soft TPU cases for other FiiO DAPs (such as the M11 Plus, see below) but I can't find one for M17. Has anyone seen one available anywhere? Note: I know there are some silicon cases available on Amazon but that's not my favorite material.

51hZczWJ3yL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Apr 22, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #5,361 of 5,701
I'm not loving the included leather case. It's fine, just not my favorite. I've previously owned and really liked the Soft TPU cases for other FiiO DAPs (such as the M11 Plus, see below) but I can't find one for M17. Has anyone seen one available anywhere? Note: I know there are some silicon cases available on Amazon but that's not my favorite material.

Ali express have silicone ones

Apr 22, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #5,362 of 5,701

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230422_160956_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20230422_160956_AliExpress.jpg
    584.8 KB · Views: 0
Apr 22, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #5,364 of 5,701
Dear friend,

As we discussed before, it is recommended to send the M17 back to us in China for repair.
And we are contacting the seller about your requirement currently. Will contact you again when we get the reply from the engineer.

Best regards
I’m worried now. Is my M17 reliable?

Apr 22, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #5,366 of 5,701
Apr 22, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #5,367 of 5,701
https://www.nature.com/articles/srep12967

For reference, why keeping a low temperature greatly increases survival of lithium battery.
Install a temperature monitoring app.
Learn how warm it gets based on impedance/gain mode.
Learn to keep it withing normal boundries.
Keep it cool as possible when not mobile, i reccomend either passive pad+fan or at least a fan when on desktop.

Like when my laptop's battery starts to croak, when there is a big load on the battery issue starts to arise.
Also, since it has DC mode, keep it around 50% charged and use the DC mode and bypass all battery to help it even more.

Apr 25, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #5,368 of 5,701
So now that I have all set, the custom stand with passive cooling, Roon works flawlessly after making sure I have a good WiFi Connection, I came to the conclusion: I want to move on. Crazy, is it not?
Well, now that I used it for a couple of days it became obvious to me that I don't really need a transportable solution but sit at the same spot listening to music all the time. So I decided to let go of the M17 and move to a stationaty tube amp.
My set is IMHO the ultimate M17 package, it is available only today including a superb linear amp here
Tomorrow, if not sold by then, I need to return it to be in time for the return policy

Apr 26, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #5,369 of 5,701
Hi
I'm a bit of a novice with these devices however, I received this device today and, after setting up, I proceeded to plug in my Hifiman Sundaras into the 4.4mm balanced port and play a 24bit/96 track.
It played for a couple of seconds then stopped saying 'output exception please try reseating the headset.'
I plugged in, unplugged etc. but continued having the same outcome.
The phones did, and still do work fine in my m11 plus.
I also replicated the experience with some other balanced earphones that I own.
All of the other ports seem to be working as they should.
Can anybody assist me with any possible 'user error' or is it just that I have got a faulty unit?
Thanks in advance. 😞
Hi
Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

I have the M15s and just got the M17. They are set up the same way, and yet when I use the 4.4 bal on the M17 I get the same warning "output exception please try reseating the headset". Everything works fine on the M15s. It seems that after a few seconds, the M17 sees the 4.4 as a line out and not headphones and switches over.

Updates done/resets done/same settings as M15s, and yet for some reason the M17 just flips out if I use the 4.4

Apr 26, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #5,370 of 5,701
Hi
Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

I have the M15s and just got the M17. They are set up the same way, and yet when I use the 4.4 bal on the M17 I get the same warning "output exception please try reseating the headset". Everything works fine on the M15s. It seems that after a few seconds, the M17 sees the 4.4 as a line out and not headphones and switches over.

Updates done/resets done/same settings as M15s, and yet for some reason the M17 just flips out if I use the 4.4

Do you have another 4.4mm cable or adapter to try? I've found that the bulbous end can vary quite a bit between plugs, in shape, girth and size 😅. This bit pushes up the inserted switch to break contact. Some plugs are also off centre and rotating them can lift and lower the switch making and breaking contact. Ironically the worst offenders have been the most expensive cables 🤔 The tolerance on the sockets switch differ too so if you get plug and socket at opposite ends of tolerance you can get these issues. The bulbous end can also be too long or too short making the rings slightly too far in or too far out. Some manufactures even supply plastic ring spacers to slightly lift the plug for opposite tolerance socket/plugs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back