[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Nov 29, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #1,021 of 5,693
Too late for me to order from the German distributor ..
I just hope, I will have some good news soon from FIIO.EU

Nov 29, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #1,022 of 5,693
By the way, I managed to unlock (With develeoper's USB debug only activated) the 2 apps Poweramp Equalizer and Wavelet with my Android 10 smartphone ... Now, I ccan get PEQ with poweramp or use AutoEQ parameters with Wavelet when active with Qobuz and Amazon HD !!!!!!

I couldn't till now use my stored playlist with some EQ when I was using a Sennheiser IE 900 or Beyerdynamic Xelento (DCA Stealth is perfect s it is)
So really, I think it can be activated with the Fiio M17 as it is under android 10 !!!

Nov 29, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #1,023 of 5,693
Yes, 11V is a 3Volts increases from 8V rails from battery. Now, you see the improvements, but that still isn’t quiet desktop grade yet.

At the minimum, most desktop grade is from 18V rails and as high as 60V. But at least, the M17 is compact and can be tossed into a backpack to carry with

For anyone who is making DIY PSU, may want to up the output to 16V as that raises the rails a little more. It seems that the M17 is firmware limited as the LDO is capable upto 24V
Not an issue... I've got a Singxter SA-1 for full desktop duties... 😉

Nov 29, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #1,024 of 5,693
About M17 reaching Europe distributors, check out this post for more info and update status.

French distributor should get 10 units wednesday or thursday, they told me and I am part of the first batch (the 10th unit is mine) so I hopefully could get it end of week :fingers_crossed: Next batch arrives two weeks later.

Dear respected customers,

Thank you for your kind patience and constant attention for our M17. Delivery of the M17 has started from 24th, November. Please kindly check this post for a daily updated list of countries / regions and agents we have sent goods to.
(...)
By our estimate, it would take 5 to 7 working days for the parcels to reach our agents abroad, which means all of you can try contacting the local sales agents on about 2nd Dec.

If you have any comments or questions, please feel free to contact us or directly contact our local agents.

Happy listening!

Best regards,
FiiO Electronics Technology Co., Ltd.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #1,025 of 5,693
just purchased one on amazon in the US in case if someone interested buying one.

Nov 29, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #1,028 of 5,693
1638244266234.png

Explanation about the reserved welding spot for op-amp on the M17 DAC module

Since the release of the M17, we have been trying our best to share its design processes, working principles as well as circuit details to consumers in the spirit of openness, transparency and communication.

We noticed that some users were confused by the phenomenon that a welding spot designed for op-amp on the DAC module is left empty. And they started to wonder whether the 8-channel D/A converter of the ES9038PRO was all used or not. Here we would like to explain it in detail.

The ES9038PRO has 8 channels of D/A converters, and theoretically there are several methods to utilize them, as explained below.

A. Connect the 8 D/A converters in parallel and then pass the parallel signals to a public I/V converter before output.

B. Split the 8 D/A converters into 2 groups and connect the 4 D/A converters of each group in parallel. Then the 2 groups of signals are passed to 2 separate I/V converters and converted to voltage signals. Finally, the 2 groups of signals are added together before output.

C. Split the 8 D/A converters into 4 groups and connect the 2 D/A converters of each group in parallel. Then the 4 groups of signals are passed to 4 separate I/V converters and converted to voltage signals. Finally, the 4 groups of signals are added together before output.

D. Split the 8 D/A converters into 8 groups and each D/A converter is connected to a different I/V converter. The signals of all 8 groups are converted to voltage signals and finally added together before output.

The ES9038PRO is a current-output DAC. Therefore, the output signals are current signals and can be connected in parallel directly. But the current signals have to be converted to voltage signals (I/V conversion) before transmitting to the headphone power amplifier circuit. Also, the voltage signals cannot be connected in parallel but added together using an adder circuit.

The M17 makes use of the 8-channel D/A converter following the method A. This is a result of an overall consideration of both power consumption and size. As for the reserved welding spot for op-amp, once the op-amp is installed, the DAC will work as in method B. However, due to the large power consumption of I/V conversion, this design is generally used on desktop devices or devices with only a single ES9038 PRO module.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 29, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #1,029 of 5,693
1638244266234.png

Since the release of the M17, we have been trying our best to share its design processes, working principles as well as circuit details to consumers in the spirit of openness, transparency and communication.

We noticed that some users were confused by the phenomenon that a welding spot designed for op-amp on the DAC module is left empty. And they started to wonder whether the 8-channel D/A converter of the ES9038PRO was all used or not. Here we would like to explain it in detail.

The ES9038PRO has 8 channels of D/A converters, and theoretically there are several methods to utilize them, as explained below.

A. Connect the 8 D/A converters in parallel and then pass the parallel signals to a public I/V converter before output.

B. Split the 8 D/A converters into 2 groups and connect the 4 D/A converters of each group in parallel. Then the 2 groups of signals are passed to 2 separate I/V converters and converted to voltage signals. Finally, the 2 groups of signals are added together before output.

C. Split the 8 D/A converters into 4 groups and connect the 2 D/A converters of each group in parallel. Then the 4 groups of signals are passed to 4 separate I/V converters and converted to voltage signals. Finally, the 4 groups of signals are added together before output.

D. Split the 8 D/A converters into 8 groups and each D/A converter is connected to a different I/V converter. The signals of all 8 groups are converted to voltage signals and finally added together before output.

The ES9038PRO is a current-output DAC. Therefore, the output signals are current signals and can be connected in parallel directly. But the current signals have to be converted to voltage signals (I/V conversion) before transmitting to the headphone power amplifier circuit. Also, the voltage signals cannot be connected in parallel but added together using an adder circuit.

The M17 makes use of the 8-channel D/A converter following the method A. This is a result of an overall consideration of both power consumption and size. As for the reserved welding spot for op-amp, once the op-amp is installed, the DAC will work as in method B. However, due to the large power consumption of I/V conversion, this design is generally used on desktop devices or devices with only a single ES9038 PRO module.
so m15s will use 2 opamps in single module?

Nov 30, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #1,030 of 5,693
Just bought M17 for two days. I find that I need to set the volume higher to reach the same volume level compare with iBasso DX300. My IEM is IER-Z1R. Both DAP are in high gain mode, M17 volume set to 60/120 and DX300 set to 36/100. Technically M17 suppose to be the more powerful one. @FiiO can you explain? The sound quality of M17 is totally no problems. I just wanna learn more.

Nov 30, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #1,031 of 5,693

! Good to know that it is 8 channels

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #1,032 of 5,693
Just bought M17 for two days. I find that I need to set the volume higher to reach the same volume level compare with iBasso DX300. My IEM is IER-Z1R. Both DAP are in high gain mode, M17 volume set to 60/120 and DX300 set to 36/100. Technically M17 suppose to be the more powerful one. @FiiO can you explain? The sound quality of M17 is totally no problems. I just wanna learn more.
Different amplifications! The M17 is using THX amplifier chips where as the Dx300 is Discrete Super class A

Nov 30, 2021 at 2:35 AM Post #1,033 of 5,693
Different amplifications! The M17 is using THX amplifier chips where as the Dx300 is Discrete Super class A

Each brands or DAPs/Amps has different design for low/mid/high gain so the real gain is different. which cause different volume at the same sound level.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 30, 2021 at 4:10 AM Post #1,035 of 5,693
I am wondering whether the M17 uses the same DAPS (Digital Audio Purification System) as for example the M11 plus. meaning the audio of any app is sent bit-perfect to the DAC's (without android SRC stuff)?

And am I correct in assuming that the FPGA of the M11 plus has been replaced by the XMOS chip in M17?

I am curious because I am contemplating on getting an M17. Perhaps @FiiO or @JamesFiiO know the answer? :)

Regards!
The SRC has been bypassed in Android underlying processing for the APPs in FiiO M17. However, you would need to check whether the APP itself has SRC. If yes, the output sampling rate may not be consistent with the sampling rate of the music file.

Best regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back