[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Nov 27, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #1,006 of 5,703
Yup... that's it... M17 on Mains connection, playing through Neutron Music Player at 8x OS fed from a Micron Industrial SD Card. Absolutely wonderful!

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #1,008 of 5,703
And if you can't DIY?

Does something like iFi Audio iPowerX do it? Or do you need something like iPower Elite (pricey)?

Nov 28, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #1,009 of 5,703
And if you can't DIY?

Does something like iFi Audio iPowerX do it? Or do you need something like iPower Elite (pricey)?
it seems iFi Audio iPowerX is 5V/3A and iPower Elite 5V/5A .. both don't have the 12V/3A required by the M17..

Nov 28, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #1,010 of 5,703
it seems iFi Audio iPowerX is 5V/3A and iPower Elite 5V/5A .. both don't have the 12V/3A required by the M17..
There are several models 5V, 9V, 12V and 15V and iPower X spec are as follow :

1638112817939.png

and iPower Elite models are 5V, 12V, 15V and 24V

1638112860177.png

So basically iPower X is short at 12V / 2A
iPower Elite would fit the bill with in 12V / 4A wouldn't it?

It won't be my main use case anyway but just curious...

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #1,011 of 5,703
Is anyone else having the crackling noise?

It is the exact noise you get when you plug an audio jack into a a socked while the system is powered on. Except, of course, the jack is inserted.

it happens when the player is paused, or on standby for a while and then I start listening to music again. It also happens when changing modes or apps.

Nov 28, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #1,012 of 5,703
Is anyone else having the crackling noise?

It is the exact noise you get when you plug an audio jack into a a socked while the system is powered on. Except, of course, the jack is inserted.

it happens when the player is paused, or on standby for a while and then I start listening to music again. It also happens when changing modes or apps.
Nope - haven't experienced that during the last two weeks of having the M17. The apps I have been using include FiiO's, Musicolet, Tidal and UAPP. No crackling sounds so far...

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #1,013 of 5,703
Nope - haven't experienced that during the last two weeks of having the M17. The apps I have been using include FiiO's, Musicolet, Tidal and UAPP. No random crackling sounds so far...
It isn’t random and it only happens when the unit has been on standby or paused for some time or, when changing from one app to another). It is brief not loud and it does not continue while the unit is playing music. Shennheiser HD820 4.4mm balanced over-ear headphone gain. I suspect is the amps and dacs powering down and up again to save battery and manage heat. but, I might be wrong and I actually have a faulty unit.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #1,014 of 5,703
I have now tried all my headphones and earphones. Balanced and unbalanced, on battery power and on DC power. The crackling is there regardless. It only happens on first opening the app or coming out of standby /pause. If I have 2 apps playing the same song (or a different one) and switch between them, everything is fine but, if for instance, I have Qobuzz going close it and then open the Fiio app (or UAPP) the crackling will be there briefly after first hitting play. it is subtle, very brief and nothing mayor, it doesn’t affect the rest of the listening session (continued without pause) or the sound quality (which is excellent) but, it is there and it’s annoying me.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #1,015 of 5,703
I have now tried all my headphones and earphones. Balanced and unbalanced, on battery power and on DC power. The crackling is there regardless. It only happens on first opening the app or coming out of standby /pause. If I have 2 apps playing the same song (or a different one) and switch between them, everything is fine but, if for instance, I have Qobuzz going close it and then open the Fiio app (or UAPP) the crackling will be there briefly after first hitting play. it is subtle, very brief and nothing mayor, it doesn’t affect the rest of the listening session (continued without pause) or the sound quality (which is excellent) but, it is there and it’s annoying me.
Dear friend,

The M17 is more powerful and has a high supply voltage. So even if a mute circuit is added, in some cases the mute effect is still unsatisfactory. We will try our best to improve in later firmware update.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 28, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #1,016 of 5,703
The Story of FiiO M17-From @JamesFiiO

Link: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-story-of-fiio-m17-from-fiio-james.960565/

Chapter 7 Is it worth taking the big M17? Talk about the size, weight and heat of the M17

As a manufacturer, we are quite afraid of consumers buying our products before thinking about it. Because every product has its own specific target customers. Those who are not one of them would complain and criticize if this product cannot meet their needs. Therefore, they would no longer trust this brand and give up successive new products. More seriously, these negative comments would probably be spread on social media and cause bad effects on the brand.

Therefore, we have already informed consumers that the M15 and M17 were designed for those who are chasing ultimate sound quality instead of ordinary users.

Take cars as an example. What ordinary people need is reliable quality, safety, good passability, comfortable driving experience, good-looking interiors, and low fuel consumption. However, for those tens of millions of sports cars and supercars, we would find that they are far away from the above characteristics. However, I guess no one will buy a sports car and complain about that.

The M17 is positioned as a "portable desktop-class player", which includes many desktop-grade designs and configurations, almost an ultimate level.

From the perspective of portable products, the size, weight, and heat generation are indeed the upper limit. But if we compare it to desktop devices, it is compact and light. This reflects the great progress in the design of music players which can integrate a digital audio streamer and DAC/Amp inside such a mini package. We have also seen many users express their affirmation and appreciation for our superb designs.

Usually, the M17 is not used when commuting or going out. Because it is not so convenient to hold it just like a mobile phone.

The commonly-used scenarios of the M17 are placing it indoors to listen to music, or taking it for a long business trip or travel.

Basically, we can make a simple analogy: traditional desktop music devices = desktop computers, portable players = mobile phones, while M17 = laptops/tablets.

From this analogy, you may have a further understanding of the M17.

We FiiO make products to provide more options for the market and consumers instead of making choices for users.

Therefore, if you want lighter, smaller, and more portable products, we have the M11 Plus, and other portable products such as the Q3/Q1/BTR5/KA3 ranging from large to small. In the future, we may develop an M15S between the M11 Plus and M17. You can rationally choose one according to your own needs.

Of course, some people may say that some similar foreign devices have a compact size, long battery life and are uneasy to generate heat while national players are limited in technologies. If it was a few years ago, 90% of audiophiles may agree. But since some foreign brands released some music players with higher driven capacity, things were different.

Because consumers have discovered that it is difficult to do well in size, weight and heat generation for players to have strong performance and high driven capacity. Under the current technical conditions, there may be slight differences between different devices. The size, weight, and even driven capacity of the M17 are superior to other foreign devices. After all, Chinese national brands are well experienced in this respect.

In general, to choose the most appropriate device for ourselves, we have to know our needs, as well as the pros and cons of the products.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 29, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #1,018 of 5,703
I am wondering whether the M17 uses the same DAPS (Digital Audio Purification System) as for example the M11 plus. meaning the audio of any app is sent bit-perfect to the DAC's (without android SRC stuff)?

And am I correct in assuming that the FPGA of the M11 plus has been replaced by the XMOS chip in M17?

I am curious because I am contemplating on getting an M17. Perhaps @FiiO or @JamesFiiO know the answer? :)

Regards!

Nov 29, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #1,019 of 5,703
I am wondering whether the M17 uses the same DAPS (Digital Audio Purification System) as for example the M11 plus. meaning the audio of any app is sent bit-perfect to the DAC's (without android SRC stuff)?

And am I correct in assuming that the FPGA of the M11 plus has been replaced by the XMOS chip in M17?

I am curious because I am contemplating on getting an M17. Perhaps @FiiO or @JamesFiiO know the answer? :)

Regards!
I am not sure if this is the case. On my unit, only the Fiio app acknowledges DSD tracks (the lights go green) Neutron and UAPP acknowledge Hi-Res tracks (lights go yellow) But they stay yellow when playing DSD. I am curious to hear what Fiio has to say too.
@FiiO good to know you are aware of the crackling issue and working on a firmware fix.
The issue is not present when listening via bluetooth headphone. So, I am wondering why circuit noise is reaching the output connectors and, how a software update will address the problem if it turns out to be a hardware design oversight.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #1,020 of 5,703
They don't think other countries in Europe received the M17 at this stage too.
I sent an email to the German distributor one week ago and today I found that their response was in spam. :p So, yes. they have it in stock since last week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back