[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Nov 25, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #916 of 5,692
FiiO M17 is on the way to our worldwide sales agents! :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

5167316.jpg

Dear respected customers,

Thank you for your kind patience and constant attention for our M17. Delivery of the M17 has started from 24th, November. Please kindly check this post for a daily updated list of countries / regions and agents we have sent goods to.

Germany: NT Global Distribution GmbH

Thailand: Holysai

HongKong: Carve Link Company

Vietnam:Audio Choice

TaiWan: Taiwan distributor

Japan: Emilai

Canada: Canadian distributor

Spain: Zococity

France: Son Video

Netherlands: Fiio.nl

Italy: Audio Azimuth

Czekh : GOTHIC

Poland: Audio Magic

Poland: MIP

Singapore: Eng Siang International Pte Ltd

Australia: Addicted To Audio

South Korea: Headphone world

Switzerland: Portacomp AG

Bulgaria: Bestline l.t.d

US Distributor: TekFx Inc.

English distributor: Advanced MP3 player

Turkey distributor: Hes Audio

Romanian distributor: AVstore

US Distributor: Apos Audio

USA: Office direct

New Zealand: Sound Essentials

Uzbekistan distributor:CreativeToys

Sweden: UZTORE AB

Indonesia : PT lntium lndo Prima

Mexico: Audiofilia Mexico

(* The shipping to other regions will also follow soon, and we will keep updating this post)

In order to get prompt pre-sales and after-sales service, we strongly suggest you to buy FiiO products from our authorized sales agents (Where to buy).

By our estimate, it would take 5 to 7 working days for the parcels to reach our agents abroad, which means all of you can try contacting the local sales agents on about 2nd Dec.

If you have any comments or questions, please feel free to contact us or directly contact our local agents.

Happy listening!

Best regards,
FiiO Electronics Technology Co., Ltd.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 25, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #918 of 5,692
As is also being discussed on the ”sister“ M17 thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/com...ass-player-m17-is-officially-released.960795/, the most important question is ”how does it sound?“.

I believe that in a DAP or DAC/AMP combo, the ordering of influencing factors is:
1. The AMP design and implementation
2. The DAC implementation
3. The pure characteristics of the DAC itself
(in decreasing order)

Thus, I should like to ask:
a. How does a THX module typically sound?
b. How close to that is the M17 sounding?

I should like to mention here that in the a.m. sister thread several comrades voiced their reservations against the THX house sound. They state it is very neutral and transparent, but has a tendency towards being boring. In one word, they say it is ”just not musical“. On the other hand, it seems like at least some of them if not all haven‘t heard an M17 yet; they go by analogy to THX in general - even more, they say the ”THX certification“ requires a THX implementation being exactly that way.

So, I am asking what you can say wrt my question a, and eventually also b.

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #919 of 5,692
Thus, I should like to ask:
a. How does a THX module typically sound?
b. How close to that is the M17 sounding?
The THX desktop amplifiers I had / tried do not sound boring for me at all, but that depends also your transducers and expectations. I like studio grade equipment like RME ADI-2. I don't like thick and too coloured presentations. The good thing about M17 is that it has Android 10, which can take system level EQ'ing. So EQ'ing Qobuz shouldn't be an issue - if the sound signature is not to your liking.

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #920 of 5,692
The THX desktop amplifiers I had / tried do not sound boring for me at all, but that depends also your transducers and expectations. I like studio grade equipment like RME ADI-2. I don't like thick and too coloured presentations. The good thing about M17 is that it has Android 10, which can take system level EQ'ing. So EQ'ing Qobuz shouldn't be an issue - if the sound signature is not to your liking.
Thank you for your reassuring remark!

I believe that in a DAP or DAC/AMP combo, the ordering of influencing factors is:
1. The AMP design and implementation
2. The DAC implementation
3. The pure characteristics of the DAC itself
(in decreasing order)
Oh yes, I should have started my introduction with
0.1 Room
0.2 Loudspeakers
for the room-fi case, and
0. Headphones / IEM
for the head-fi case. :wink:

Nov 25, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #921 of 5,692
Call me skeptical, but I don’t think ES9038Pro is utilized with all 8 channels. There appears to be 2 Opamp designed as I/V stages. Normally, these guys are dual channels, which would take care of 8 signals line, which translated into 4 channels. In order to also utilize the other 4 and make it an 8 channels differential, the 2nd Opamp will need to be implemented

Also 9038Pro is capable of DSD1024 as well

I can be wrong and would hope so. I also hope for @FiiO to clarify the details from the engineerings to this matters

Nothing bad about this, it is also right to claim that this dual 9038pro is 8 channels, because each chip is using 4 channels.

9752BDC9-0163-4391-9262-D5A9268459FD.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #922 of 5,692
The Story of FiiO M17-From @JamesFiiO

Link: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-story-of-fiio-m17-from-fiio-james.960565/

Chapter 5 Why is the RAM and FLASH of M17 only 4G+64G?

In fact, when the M17 was in the internal beta process, our users raised this question. In fact, it was uncontrollable. Here I would like to explain it in detail.

At present, there are very few processors appropriate for android-based music players. FiiO has already adopted processors from Samsung, Rockchip, Qualcomm, etc. Rockchip's has weak performance, Samsung's has poor compatibility while Qualcomm's is currently the most appropriate. Therefore, four Chinese brands all applied the Qualcomm processor to their music players.

Due to the small order in the player industry, we had to order standard modules which have fewer optional configurations, including RAM+FLASH of 4+64 and 6+128. However, there are several problems with the module.

--Long lead time: the current lead time is 6 months.

--Minimum order quantity (MOQ) restriction: the current MOQ is 3000 RMB.

--High cost: each processor module is very expensive.

--The configuration of 6+128 is much more expensive than the 4+64, which means the retail price will be correspondingly increased.

Therefore, if we adopted the 6+128 module to the M17, there would be some problems.

--For consumers, it is worth buying a high-capacity micro SD card than paying more money for higher RAM and FLASH storage.

--We have to invest several million for the order of the module, which would be stressful for our production.

--The price of the M17 is relatively high. It was difficult for us to predict the sales at the beginning, so we were cautious about the order quantity of the module. And if we choose the 4+64 module, we can reserve more because we have other products also using it.

More details:

In the business world, the sales mode of micro SD card and HiFi portable player is exactly the opposite. As a digital accessory, micro SD cards have an annual sales volume of hundreds of millions. It is standardized with a large market. Commercially speaking, the cost of brand promotion and R&D can be ignored. Therefore, its retail price and hardware cost are very close.

Since portable HiFi players are a very niche product, there is almost no standardization. Therefore, the retail price includes marketing, research and development expenses. It is expensive for retailers. Therefore, the retail price and hardware cost are far away from each other.

Therefore, considering that 4G RAM is completely sufficient for music players. Larger RAM only allows the player to run more apps, yet it is bad for sound quality. More FLASH capacity can be achieved via a micro SD card. If it's still not enough, we have designed dual Type-C ports for the M17, so that it can be connected to a large-capacity hard drive.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 25, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #923 of 5,692

Link: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-story-of-fiio-m17-from-fiio-james.960565/

In fact, when the M17 was in the internal beta process, our users raised this question. In fact, it was uncontrollable. Here I would like to explain it in detail.

At present, there are very few processors appropriate for android-based music players. FiiO has already adopted processors from Samsung, Rockchip, Qualcomm, etc. Rockchip's has weak performance, Samsung's has poor compatibility while Qualcomm's is currently the most appropriate. Therefore, four Chinese brands all applied the Qualcomm processor to their music players.

Due to the small order in the player industry, we had to order standard modules which have fewer optional configurations, including RAM+FLASH of 4+64 and 6+128. However, there are several problems with the module.

--The configuration of 6+128 is much more expensive than the 4+64, which means the retail price will be correspondingly increased.

Therefore, if we adopted the 6+128 module to the M17, there would be some problems.

--For consumers, it is worth buying a high-capacity micro SD card than paying more money for higher RAM and FLASH storage.

--We have to invest several million for the order of the module, which would be stressful for our production.

--The price of the M17 is relatively high. It was difficult for us to predict the sales at the beginning, so we were cautious about the order quantity of the module. And if we choose the 4+64 module, we can reserve more because we have other products also using it.

More details:

In the business world, the sales mode of micro SD card and HiFi portable player is exactly the opposite. As a digital accessory, micro SD cards have an annual sales volume of hundreds of millions. It is standardized with a large market. Commercially speaking, the cost of brand promotion and R&D can be ignored. Therefore, its retail price and hardware cost are very close.

Since portable HiFi players are a very niche product, there is almost no standardization. Therefore, the retail price includes marketing, research and development expenses. It is expensive for retailers. Therefore, the retail price and hardware cost are far away from each other.

Therefore, considering that 4G RAM is completely sufficient for music players. Larger RAM only allows the player to run more apps, yet it is bad for sound quality. More FLASH capacity can be achieved via a micro SD card. If it's still not enough, we have designed dual Type-C ports for the M17, so that it can be connected to a large-capacity hard drive.
If I'm paying close to 2 Grand it should have more memory to run more apps, that's how westerners think, James you have to think outside of China when you're selling globally.
Almost forgot you can use any processor just not the obselete ones,we aren't all as stupid as you think we are James, Ibasso DX 300 has it all and they didn't have to write any chapters explaining why they didn't do this or that, you're not doing yourself any favors by writing this nonsense, sorry someone has to say it.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #924 of 5,692

More details:

Thanks James - I find these types of articles very interesting discussing the decision making process and inevitable tradeoffs that go into product development for niche audio products versus mass market consumer electronics I have more experience with.

Also happy to report the M17 is very fast and user experience very polished. Haven't had any problems running multiple apps smoothly.

Nov 26, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #925 of 5,692
If I'm paying close to 2 Grand it should have more memory to run more apps, that's how westerners think, James you have to think outside of China when you're selling globally.
Almost forgot you can use any processor just not the obselete ones,we aren't all as stupid as you think we are James, Ibasso DX 300 has it all and they didn't have to write any chapters explaining why they didn't do this or that, you're not doing yourself any favors by writing this nonsense, sorry someone has to say it.
If you are paying, question it. If you aren't and you're not even in the market for it, stop being that negative troll trying to ruin people's joy here. Just go get yourself a DX300 and be done.

It has been explained several times, by several manufacturers why it is not possible to choose any controller they want - and hell, it is not needed, as this is a music player and there's no application out there for that use case where 4 gigabytes of memory is not enough! I was running on less memory an embedded Linux system including the development tools. This is not a gaming device and hobbyists in the market for it are well aware of that.

Nov 26, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #926 of 5,692
Ridiculous indeed. Why are you even talking about multitasking on a *dedicated* music player?

I buy DAPs to do one thing and to run one single app - a music app. I can't imagine anyone would use such a device as a multimedia style tablet/phone because, after all, that's what a tablet/phone is for.

Srsly...

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #927 of 5,692
@DarginMahkum and @Nostoi
i basically wanted to write the same but didn't dare to bring more negative vibes into this cool forum here :)

so +1 vote to you guys.

Nov 26, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #928 of 5,692
@DarginMahkum and @Nostoi
i basically wanted to write the same but didn't dare to bring more negative vibes into this cool forum here :)

so +1 vote to you guys.
The ignore option with save you from all that negativity. :wink: I just did it.

Nov 26, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #929 of 5,692
If you are paying, question it. If you aren't and you're not even in the market for it, stop being that negative troll trying to ruin people's joy here. Just go get yourself a DX300 and be done.

It has been explained several times, by several manufacturers why it is not possible to choose any controller they want - and hell, it is not needed, as this is a music player and there's no application out there for that use case where 4 gigabytes of memory is not enough! I was running on less memory an embedded Linux system including the development tools. This is not a gaming device and hobbyists in the market for it are well aware of that.
I have spent thousands on FiiO last purchase was the M11 plus SS, that's what this site is for to voice opinions,by the way I already have the Dx300 and many more Daps,dacs, amps, speakers, but that's not important, what is,is to hold FiiO accountable,they don't get to control the narrative when my, yours or anybody else is spending money.

Nov 26, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #930 of 5,692
Ridiculous indeed. Why are you even talking about multitasking on a *dedicated* music player?

I buy DAPs to do one thing and to run one single app - a music app. I can't imagine anyone would use such a device as a multimedia style tablet/phone because, after all, that's what a tablet/phone is for.

Srsly...
Seriously, I work out I don't need to take my phone with me,just my dap,if I ride my bike on the trails same or if I'm just walking the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back