[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Nov 26, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #932 of 5,701
I have spent thousands on FiiO last purchase was the M11 plus SS, that's what this site is for to voice opinions,by the way I already have the Dx300 and many more Daps,dacs, amps, speakers, but that's not important, what is,is to hold FiiO accountable,they don't get to control the narrative when my, yours or anybody else is spending money.
I am curious as to why would you need more than one system. I have one home system one set of speakers, one set of wired headphones one set of wired earphones, one set of wireless headphones, one set of wireless earbuds ( for the occasion’s where wired is not practical) and one portable system (my phone and a Q5S). That’s it. The M17 will replace the phone - Q5S combo as my deflacto “portable” system. I like to enjoy my music, the gear is the medium I use to achieve that goal. I find having too much gear is detrimental to that enjoyment.

Nov 26, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #933 of 5,701
When you are new to the hobby "one" is enough, but the more time you spend here on this forums, the more gear you are going to have/want

Nov 26, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #934 of 5,701
When you are new to the hobby "one" is enough, but the more time you spend here on this forums, the more gear you are going to have/want
ERRR… I am 55 years old, I was a DJ from the age of 16 well into my 30’s, I have owned just about every system you can think off and, I can asure you, the pursuit of perfection is a futile exercise. Find what you can live with and one system is more than enough. Is about the music not the gear.

Nov 26, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #935 of 5,701
ERRR… I am 55 years old, I was a DJ from the age of 16 well into my 30’s, I have owned just about every system you can think off and, I can asure you, the pursuit of perfection is a futile exercise. Find what you can live with and one system is more than enough. Is about the music not the gear.
Fully agree. I have one IEM, one speaker set, one open and one closed HP, one BT HP, one HP amp. At the moment no DAPs, as I sold them - I hope M17 will cover that spot. For the fine tuning, EQ is my friend. That is not to say, I don't enjoy trying new things but I just am satisfied with what I have.

If you would like to buy more, well, enjoy your music and gear. That is all that matters.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #936 of 5,701
I am happy for you guys that you can live with just one of everything, for me it all depends on the mood that I am into, sometimes I like warm signature, other times I am into a W signature and so on that is why I need more than "one ".

Nov 26, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #937 of 5,701
Fully agree. I have one IEM, one speaker set, one open and one closed HP, one BT HP, one HP amp. At the moment no DAPs, as I sold them - I hope M17 will cover that spot. For the fine tuning, EQ is my friend. That is not to say, I don't enjoy trying new things but I just am satisfied with what I have.

If you would like to buy more, well, enjoy your music and gear. That is all that matters.
Yep, that’s pretty much my philosophy when it comes to gear. I look for new equipment when what I currently own gets too old to function properly or, as it’s the case with this M17, it covers a particular need but, that’s my lot.

Nov 26, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #938 of 5,701
@viffer sounds like a great philosophy and one that I certainly relate to. It is fun to try new gear, but at a certain point and after having enough experience for me anyway the need to try more gear is less and less compelling as the years go by. As you said, when gear needs to be replaced or a new need arises, those are scenarios where I will get new gear. Saying that I do at times wish that I could try something headphone wise that is truly upscale, like a Susavara or the LCD5, Dan Clark Audio Stealth etc. Might be nice.

Nov 26, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #939 of 5,701
Call me skeptical, but I don’t think ES9038Pro is utilized with all 8 channels. There appears to be 2 Opamp designed as I/V stages. Normally, these guys are dual channels, which would take care of 8 signals line, which translated into 4 channels. In order to also utilize the other 4 and make it an 8 channels differential, the 2nd Opamp will need to be implemented

Also 9038Pro is capable of DSD1024 as well

I can be wrong and would hope so. I also hope for @FiiO to clarify the details from the engineerings to this matters

Nothing bad about this, it is also right to claim that this dual 9038pro is 8 channels, because each chip is using 4 channels.

9752BDC9-0163-4391-9262-D5A9268459FD.jpeg
It is also interesting to note that in the exploration video, the ESS9038Pro modules showed both the OpAmp designs being populated!

Then the picture above in the quote was disclosed later , and at the release of the player. So it would be nice to hear what FiiO has to say about this. I know the last time FiiO stated that they are working on improving the M17 together with heat dissipation and so on. One of the clear thing which got changed were the stock DC, originally was to be 15V and at release is taking 12V

This is the picture captured from the video, that is showing both Opamp
A0D3E831-334F-4498-8B01-19D81AEFB030.jpeg

Nov 26, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #940 of 5,701
Seriously, I work out I don't need to take my phone with me,just my dap,if I ride my bike on the trails same or if I'm just walking the same.
I do use my DAP the same way, so I know what you meant. I also agreed on your view that as a company, you don’t need to write essays explaining why you should produce this and should not be doing that.

Those essays are for executive board meetings !!!

As for your products, the consumers will tell you whether you have executed it nicely or poorly, because who cares about why you did what you did ? They only care about products features and technicals, not your philosophies

Nov 26, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #941 of 5,701
It is also interesting to note that in the exploration video, the ESS9038Pro modules showed both the OpAmp designs being populated!

Then the picture above in the quote was disclosed later , and at the release of the player. So it would be nice to hear what FiiO has to say about this. I know the last time FiiO stated that they are working on improving the M17 together with heat dissipation and so on. One of the clear thing which got changed were the stock DC, originally was to be 15V and at release is taking 12V

so if fiio using 4 channels each chip, that means the 2 9038pros perform like the same 2 4 channels ak4499s in m15?

Nov 26, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #942 of 5,701
Last edited:
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 26, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #944 of 5,701

Dear friend,

The engineer is on business today. We will update about that for you when he explain this to us.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 26, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #945 of 5,701
Portable Desktop-Class DAC and Headphone Amplifier, FiiO Q9

In the previous post, I have put forward an idea of making a portable desktop-class DAC and headphone amplifier Q9 on the basis of M17. Q9 is designed for those users who mainly use mobile phones as their audio sources, and people who hope to enjoy the strong driven power and high sound quality as that of M17. Of course, as the high cost of main control and display are saved, the price is expected to be halved and become more affordable. Now we have started our appearance design, let's see which one you like (see the below pictures), A or B? Also, we welcome any comment and suggestion on the design of Q9.
PS, Q9 is still in a very early stage of our exploration, and whether it will be formally set up for development project is yet to be determined. So the design/functions/specification has not been determined.

261002232_4570628273045206_8570780032788949504_n.jpg

261157864_4570628703045163_5560249401616071044_n.jpg
Now, those pictures look like a proper integrated chassis-heat sinks for cooling purposes !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back