[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Nov 22, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #886 of 5,698
The Story of FiiO M17-From @JamesFiiO

Link: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-story-of-fiio-m17-from-fiio-james.960565/

Chapter 4 The process of designing the M17 leather case, and relevant answers about some suggestions from our users

The design of the M17's leather case was a challenge. In this chapter, I would like to introduce our design process and some eliminated solutions.
The first challenge came from its mech-style appearance. There are many diagonal planes on the body of the M17 while the leather material is rather soft than the body of the M17. Therefore, a lot of just-needed materials need to be pressed to ensure the case is not too thick. Otherwise, it will affect the grip comfort and operation. The other challenge was that the 6 sides of the case have functional requirements of buttons, connectors, volume knob and heat dissipation. Also, it needs to protect the whole M17 comprehensively.
1. Design and manufacture of the M17 leather case
The design of the M17 leather case is the same as that of the M17. It also includes a large number of hexagonal elements on the hollow at the knob, the press button, and the stainless steel heat dissipation grille on the back. Even if the entire leather case protects the M17 strictly, we can still sense it.
1.jpg

Let me share with you the interior design and production process of the leather case, and then talk about why we would finalized it. In order to maintain a soft touch while strengthening the back cover with stainless steel grilles, the leather material should be processed as thin as possible. First, we tailed an expanded view of the M17, as well as openings of every connector and port out of a whole piece of cattle hide.
2.jpg

After finishing the cutting of the case, the next step was to hot-pressed the buttons with copper-formed mold. So did the FiiO logo.
3.jpg

To make the case a mech style, we pasted a manganese steel sheet that has already been molded to every side of the case. This key step not only achieves a mech styling, but also makes it more resistant to fall.
4.jpg

Finally, through the hand-made process by craftsmen, the final case fits perfectly with the M17.
From the expanded view of the case above, you may be curious why we did not fill in the button positions on the leather case? The picture below well explains it. If the buttons were protruding from the leather case, then the M17 cannot be pushed into the case.
5.jpg

2. Other schemes
Before choosing the above schemes, we had discussed several other schemes.
(1) A design with full openings on the side
Since leather is soft, it will be easily deformed with over-long openings when cutting it, and the subsequent processes will be more difficult. The leather can be better shaped with the help of manganese steel or other hard materials. Over-long opening edges will be easy to flange and warp, and will affect the grip comfort during using. In addition, the larger the opening, the weaker the protection when the device falls down.
6.jpg

(2) A design with semi-openings on the side
It will also be easy to flange and warp with semi-openings on the side. In addition, it will cause another problem, i.e. the leather between buttons will be very narrow and weak to fracture.
7.jpg

(3) Partial openings of the button
This design also has narrow links between buttons. And FiiO is an international brand, so we have to meet most users' needs by making the opening size fit as many users as possible around the world.
8.jpg

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 22, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #887 of 5,698
Only problem is the case is not black.

Nov 23, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #888 of 5,698
Only problem is the case is not black.
And impossible to use with the quick navigation bar in FiiO's app by pressing and selecting letters on the right column. There isn't enough space to select the letters.

@FiiO Is it possible to increase the width of the quick navigation bar in your app so we can use the app with the cover on?

Nov 23, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #890 of 5,698
Could somebody compare Fiio M17 and ifi Diablo in terms of pure sound quality?
very good idea. i wanted to buy both + dmp-z1.

so would be very keen to get comparison insights.

Nov 23, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #891 of 5,698

Link: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-story-of-fiio-m17-from-fiio-james.960565/

Chapter 4-1 How about a cost-effective transformation of the M17?
--Portable desktop-class DAC/Amp Q9

Feedback from users after the release of the M17 is ideal. However, it is true that the price is quite high, especially at this moment when the market environment and economic conditions are not so good. To prove this point, I also did a small survey, inviting Chinese users to participate in it. The survey results showed that more than 42% of users thought that price is the biggest obstacle for them to purchase the M17. Secondly, 26% of users thought that the M17 is too big and heavy.
For users who think the M17 is too big and heavy, I believe they have other choices, such as the M11 Plus, M15, and even small USB DAC and amplifiers ( like the BTR5). But for sure, from the current technical conditions, there are no other alternatives that can compete with the M17 which has strong functions, driven capacity and rich connectors. Because whether by size or weight, the M17 has basically the highest power density among portable music players with such a high-driven capacity at present.
For those who think the price of the M17 is too high, I was thinking if I could do something for them. From the product itself, the highest cost of the M17 is the SoC module, followed by 2 ES9038PRO modules, and then the all-CNC integrated aluminum alloy shell, followed by a display screen and so on.
Can we simplify the M17 by giving up the processor and display screen for users? Anyway, we have smartphones, tablets, laptops, computers and other desktop devices for extra connections.
We can replace the Qualcomm 660 SoC with a single-chip module, and the display screen with a small one (or get it away). The price of the ES9038PRO is still rising. If we give up the SoC module, we can save more space to strengthen the power supply, ensuring the same sound quality as the M17's. As a result, the final price can be set to within 1000 USD.
Will you be interested in such a DAC/Amp?
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 23, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #892 of 5,698
That is brilliant FiiO. That would be like a overpowered Q5s. The battery will last as long my iphone 13 pro max. But make the case with iphone 13 pro max on the back. It will be perfect. I hope it will come to pass since I am always underwhelmed with how slow the DAP's are and the only reason I buy those archaic DAPs is because they sound great.

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #893 of 5,698

Feedback from users after the release of the M17 is ideal. However, it is true that the price is quite high, especially at this moment when the market environment and economic conditions are not so good. To prove this point, I also did a small survey, inviting Chinese users to participate in it. The survey results showed that more than 42% of users thought that price is the biggest obstacle for them to purchase the M17. Secondly, 26% of users thought that the M17 is too big and heavy.
For users who think the M17 is too big and heavy, I believe they have other choices, such as the M11 Plus, M15, and even small USB DAC and amplifiers ( like the BTR5). But for sure, from the current technical conditions, there are no other alternatives that can compete with the M17 which has strong functions, driven capacity and rich connectors. Because whether by size or weight, the M17 has basically the highest power density among portable music players with such a high-driven capacity at present.
For those who think the price of the M17 is too high, I was thinking if I could do something for them. From the product itself, the highest cost of the M17 is the SoC module, followed by 2 ES9038PRO modules, and then the all-CNC integrated aluminum alloy shell, followed by a display screen and so on.
Can we simplify the M17 by giving up the processor and display screen for users? Anyway, we have smartphones, tablets, laptops, computers and other desktop devices for extra connections.
We can replace the Qualcomm 660 SoC with a single-chip module, and the display screen with a small one (or get it away). The price of the ES9038PRO is still rising. If we give up the SoC module, we can save more space to strengthen the power supply, ensuring the same sound quality as the M17's. As a result, the final price can be set to within 1000 USD.
4-1.jpg
Love this idea

Nov 23, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #894 of 5,698

4-1.jpg
Very very very much! As we have all those powerful mobile phones and LDAC, I don't think a DAP with a screen and OS is really needed. This is the right way to go.

Nov 23, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #895 of 5,698
Said it long time ago:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...attery-64-gb-rom-1299-99.920276/post-15385720

"That's why I find the whole concept of DAPs these days wrong. The right way is, I think:

- In the form of Q5s (but with the functionality of Poly + Mojo)
- No display
- No Android
- Possibility of having an SD card slot
- Bluetooth connection to mobile phone or computer to control the content and actions
- Streaming services should be played over BT from the mobile

Having to have a second Android system, which requires a lot of CPU power and memory (and a lot of development time), just does not make sense for me. An audio company should stay an audio company, not try to match a mobile phone platformand SW-wise. HifiMan is doing the right thing with HM1000 (which has a rather overbloated price and costs more than 3 times of M15)."

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #896 of 5,698
Said it long time ago:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...attery-64-gb-rom-1299-99.920276/post-15385720

"That's why I find the whole concept of DAPs these days wrong. The right way is, I think:

- In the form of Q5s (but with the functionality of Poly + Mojo)
- No display
- No Android
- Possibility of having an SD card slot
- Bluetooth connection to mobile phone or computer to control the content and actions
- Streaming services should be played over BT from the mobile

Having to have a second Android system, which requires a lot of CPU power and memory (and a lot of development time), just does not make sense for me. An audio company should stay an audio company, not try to match a mobile phone platformand SW-wise. HifiMan is doing the right thing with HM1000 (which has a rather overbloated price and costs more than 3 times of M15)."
I agree with most of that.
A small display (as shown) it’s useful to know what the Amp is doing.
Streaming services can be run via BT but USB cable is essential for HI-RES (as with thE Q5S).
If the phone is the controlling unit, SD card slot for the Amp is redundant.
Optical out is also in my wish list.

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #897 of 5,698

4-1.jpg
i love the way your are honestly talking here.
the idea is great.
i would buy the Q9 NOW - where should i send the money? :)

Nov 23, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #898 of 5,698

4-1.jpg
I'd love to see this a reality.

Nov 23, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #899 of 5,698
very good idea. i wanted to buy both + dmp-z1.

so would be very keen to get comparison insights.
I'd love this see this comparison too. Currently using the DMP-Z1 but dont mind owning another powerful DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back