[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
May 5, 2022 at 5:13 AM Post #3,766 of 5,692
Still burning in the m17. Almost 200 hours
I am using mine for about 4 months now. I have noticed that the soundstage became wider, more like 3D effect in sound, better vocals, better separation, bass hits harder and highs are not so "ear piercing" anymore as it was at the beginning. Pure joy đź‘Ś use daily with my Focal Clear and Audeze-X over ear mode. When connected to DC enhanced over ear mode with Audeze-X (4.4 balanced) sound becomes so powerfull with huge scene, feels like I am listening to large high-end speakers. Great dynamics. I can't imagine any other DAP that could sound so powerfull, with great detalisation and dynamism, other than M17 đź’Ş

Attachments

• IMG_20220504_202216_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220504_202216_HDR.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
  • received_696504824960209.jpeg
    received_696504824960209.jpeg
    53.4 KB · Views: 0
  • received_360684546102724.jpeg
    received_360684546102724.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 0
May 5, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #3,767 of 5,692
Still burning in the m17. Almost 200 hours
200 hours of playing music is about enough IME. Have you experience any major difference in SQ?

May 5, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #3,768 of 5,692
My unit today got totally freezed while playing Tidal :D did not respond to any phisical button, volume wheel or touch screen until I fully restarted system by pushing and holding power button for about 10 seconds, after that the screen started blinking and finally shutted down. After restart everything seems to be working normal. This was the first time when M17 got freeze while playing music. Anyone had the same experience?
I had the exact thing happen and wound up resetting the entire device to get back to normal operation. Tidal is also doing much better since.

May 5, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #3,769 of 5,692
200 hours of playing music is about enough IME. Have you experience any major difference in SQ?
Yes. Larger stage, more air. Vocals have smoothed out and treble is not offensive anymore. Treble still sparkles but no sibilance like before with my MEST mk2.

I'm on day 6 of 8 for burn in.

My burn in station.

IMG_20220505_123655.jpg

Last edited:
May 5, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #3,770 of 5,692
So... I have put my M17 to burn in on enhanced over ear mode for the night and the burn in must be accelerated because things are getting even better : wow !
Stage has opened and the frequency response is more balanced :)
How exactly do you do that?

May 5, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #3,771 of 5,692
Actually, today I am just evaluating the M17 as "transportable system" for long trips/overseas travel without access to an external power source for many hours (12 hours or more). So M17 alone or plugged to a powerbank.
I will probably evaluate this weekend, the replacement of my actual desktop system (SMSL M500 + Monolith THX887), so for sure I will be a lot through real external power supplies => M17 stock 12V/3A, ifi 12V/4A compared to my desktop system.
Waiting patiently for this.

May 5, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #3,772 of 5,692
Just received my M17 in the post. First impressions on Focal Utopias plugged into DC in Enhanced Mode - OMG !!!!!!!!

That's all I can say about this device. I am speechless. I never dreamed it would be this good.

Resolving, clear, detailed, everything just sings in a perfect balanced way.

Massive thanks to @zen87192 who put me onto this and was kind enough to show me his on a recent hook up.

And also massive thanks to @FiiO for making this wonderful piece of art. It really is as good as everyone is making it out to be.

Will post some pictures later once I can pull these cans off my head :jecklinsmile:
“OMG !!!!!!!!!” I laughed out loud when I read that. Says it all.

May 6, 2022 at 5:43 AM Post #3,773 of 5,692
When I try to play music from Tidal app or UAPP app via usb cable to my desktop DAC/AMP, M17 starts lagging and freezing a lot and refuse to play any track, even volume wheel does not respond correctly with lag 🤔 but when I connect m17 via coax cable everything working normal 🤔 what is the case here?

May 6, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #3,774 of 5,692
When I try to play music from Tidal app or UAPP app via usb cable to my desktop DAC/AMP, M17 starts lagging and freezing a lot and refuse to play any track, even volume wheel does not respond correctly with lag 🤔 but when I connect m17 via coax cable everything working normal 🤔 what is the case here?
It can be a cable issue, but I doubt Tidal can take control of the USB-C host port with the M17 (Qobuz and Amazon Music can't do it) .. I didn't try with UAPP, but I can test this later and I will say.

As I am using such connection almost every day, for sure, there is no issue at all with Neutron Player to access in bit perfect mode/native DSD mode my external USB-C DAC (like SMSL SU9 + THX887 amp).
The only issue, is that unfortunately, only the right usb-c host port from the M17 allows the M17, while playing music, to be charged with the DC input or left USB-C 3 port.

Last edited:
May 6, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #3,775 of 5,692
It can be a cable issue, but I doubt Tidal can take control of the USB-C host port with the M17 (Qobuz and Amazon Music can't do it) .. I didn't try with UAPP, but I can test this later and I will say.

As I am using such connection almost every day, for sure, there is no issue at all with Neutron Player to access in bit perfect mode/native DSD mode my external USB-C DAC (like SMSL SU9 + THX887 amp).
The only issue, is that unfortunately, only the right usb-c host port from the M17 allows the M17, while playing music, to be charged with the DC input or left USB-C 3 port.

I have just tested with UAPP on the M17 connected to my external DAC SMSL SU9 and there is no issue at all even with DSD and bit perfect mode using the right or left usb-c port as output (left one makes impossible to charge the M17 even with DC)...

May 6, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #3,776 of 5,692
Dear friend,

Yes, the protectors have been applied in both the screen and back panel before factory out. And an extra screen protector is coming with the M17 as well.

Best regards
You’re saying there’s a protector under the the thin sheet with the tab you peel off already?

May 6, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #3,777 of 5,692
I have asked this question before and did not get a straight answer, let me ask again, hopefully someone will take the time to give me an answer, this is exactly what is stopping me from buying this unit.
Here it is again: I currently own a Topping D90, and I love it, but I am looking for something transportable like the FIIO M17 that I can use both at home and in my car without any drop in sound quality. I will mostly use it as a standalone DAC.
My question: How does the M17 compare to the likes of Topping D90, Gustard X26?
Thanks,

May 6, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #3,778 of 5,692
I have asked this question before and did not get a straight answer, let me ask again, hopefully someone will take the time to give me an answer, this is exactly what is stopping me from buying this unit.
Here it is again: I currently own a Topping D90, and I love it, but I am looking for something transportable like the FIIO M17 that I can use both at home and in my car without any drop in sound quality. I will mostly use it as a standalone DAC.
Thanks,
Never heard the d90 but I have the d30 Pro and a30 pro stack and without question the m17 holds its own when in Enhanced over Ear mode plugged into DC power supply. Soundstage, layering, texture, resolution, you name it and it's got it IMHO.

I'm about to put my topping stack up for sale because I don't use it anymore. Now granted I only use iems and gave up on headphones so there is that. Guess it mainly comes down to what your trying to power. Susvara? The likes of sometjing more similar to LCD X, or iems.

After my 200 hour concentrated burn in my volume control has massively smoothed out. Transients are much smoother on the higher registers and mids have gotten fuller. I am impressed with m17 as both a dap and a desktop rig.

May 6, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #3,779 of 5,692
Never heard the d90 but I have the d30 Pro and a30 pro stack and without question the m17 holds its own when in Enhanced over Ear mode plugged into DC power supply. Soundstage, layering, texture, resolution, you name it and it's got it IMHO.

I'm about to put my topping stack up for sale because I don't use it anymore. Now granted I only use iems and gave up on headphones so there is that. Guess it mainly comes down to what your trying to power. Susvara? The likes of sometjing more similar to LCD X, or iems.

After my 200 hour concentrated burn in my volume control has massively smoothed out. Transients are much smoother on the higher registers and mids have gotten fuller. I am impressed with m17 as both a dap and a desktop rig.
I will be using it with a Sennheiser HD800s.

May 7, 2022 at 4:08 AM Post #3,780 of 5,692
Thanks,
It's a bit hard to compare, as the M17 has an amp and the D90 doesn't, but at a quick listen, they are fairly similar, as both are designed with something of a similar philosophy when it comes to sound quality. You could think of an M17 as being roughly like a D90 + AAA 789 amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back