FiiO M15S Pocket Desktop-Level Player Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jul 5, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #487 of 945
Sorry it's not about the delay when using USB DAC, but severe video delay when playing any video on M15s screen after something triggered it; for example after using USB DAC feature.

I did some testing with the youtube app and the only time I have a delay between sound and audio is while using LDAC codec with my bluetooth headphone (Shure Aonic 50).
There is no delay with youtube on a web browser (chrome or brave) and LDAC. Other bluetooth codecs are working fine with the youtube app excepted with LDAC.

No issue with my wired headphones.

I did try to go USB DAC mode and back to Android mode and did not reproduce the issue with my Aonic.

Later on, I did connect a crappy wonderboom bluetooth speaker to the DAP, with SBC codec, and playing a youtube video I got a huge delay in audio like 2 or 3 seconds.
Back to the Aonic, no delay.

Maybe the issue is device specific with bluetooth ?

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #488 of 945
@madzic I had the same issue as you are describing with your laptop but with a product from a different company.... the solution was to buy a special USB cable that splits out the power and the digital signal... with that cable one end plugs into the wall charger to deliver the correct power to the player and the other end to the laptop for the digital music side... it works well that way...

I tested with several usb splitters, usb hubs with or without external power, nothing works to get DC Mode with USB DAC Mode while connecting to my Desktop computer. (Thanks Amazon for their return policy).

I checked with the engineer and he told me that the output current in the USB port of the computer is limited when connecting via USB DAC mode. So the output current may not be enough for driving the M15S when using the M15S as USB DAC.

@FiiO I did some digging with this USB power stuff and DC MODE with computers and discovered new things.

To my surprise, to activate DC MODE connected to a computer, it only works if connected to an USB-C plug with Thunderbolt protocol.
I tested to plug the DAP to USB-A 2.0, 3.0, 3.1 gen 1 and gen 2 and USB-C 3.1 gen 2, with 3 different Windows Laptops and 1 Windows Desktop : DC Mode does not work.

Plugged to an USB-C plug with Thunderbolt protocol (windows laptops and last gen macbook m2), DC Mode works and the combination DC Mode/USB DAC Mode can work with the already stated workaround.

An an accessory test, the same usb-c 3.1 gen 2 port does fast charge a samsung galaxy note 9 smartphone but with the DAP, DC Mode is not working. And with the DAP connected to the samsung charger (5V/15W) from the smartphone, DC Mode is working.

I do believe there is a real issue regarding connecting the DAP to computers usb ports and DC Mode.
USB 3.1 power charging specs should be way enough for DC Mode.

How come DC Mode works connected to an old samsung charger and not with any usb port on modern computers, if not a thunderbolt port ?

To be realistic, if I am missing wall plugs or don't want to bring an additional charger, and just want to activate DC Mode with the DAP connected to a laptop, I cannot (excepting if it is a last gen M2 Macbook with only thunderbolt ports...).

Regards,

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #489 of 945
I tested with several usb splitters, usb hubs with or without external power, nothing works to get DC Mode with USB DAC Mode while connecting to my Desktop computer. (Thanks Amazon for their return policy).

@FiiO I did some digging with this USB power stuff and DC MODE with computers and discovered new things.

To my surprise, to activate DC MODE connected to a computer, it only works if connected to an USB-C plug with Thunderbolt protocol.
I tested to plug the DAP to USB-A 2.0, 3.0, 3.1 gen 1 and gen 2 and USB-C 3.1 gen 2, with 3 different Windows Laptops and 1 Windows Desktop : DC Mode does not work.

Plugged to an USB-C plug with Thunderbolt protocol (windows laptops and last gen macbook m2), DC Mode works and the combination DC Mode/USB DAC Mode can work with the already stated workaround.

An an accessory test, the same usb-c 3.1 gen 2 port does fast charge a samsung galaxy note 9 smartphone but with the DAP, DC Mode is not working. And with the DAP connected to the samsung charger (5V/15W) from the smartphone, DC Mode is working.

I do believe there is a real issue regarding connecting the DAP to computers usb ports and DC Mode.
USB 3.1 power charging specs should be way enough for DC Mode.

How come DC Mode works connected to an old samsung charger and not with any usb port on modern computers, if not a thunderbolt port ?

To be realistic, if I am missing wall plugs or don't want to bring an additional charger, and just want to activate DC Mode with the DAP connected to a laptop, I cannot (excepting if it is a last gen M2 Macbook with only thunderbolt ports...).

Regards,
Dear friend,

It may because the USB C 3.1 gen 2 port fails to provide stable output for enabling the DC mode for the M15S. We will also report your feedback to the engineer for check.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 7, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #492 of 945
Greetings, I'm really enjoying listening to my music collection through the M15s, however it was a learning curve to get to connect to my Windows and MacBook Pro M1. Here is what I've learned:

• Connecting it to the Acer Predator Helios 300 2018 model - USB C only charges and doesn't prompt the Ultra High Mode/Desktop Mode using the FIIO USB C cable. When I connect it to the USB A port with the 3.0 it allows me to use it as USB DAC mode and charges via the USB C to A cable provided in the box.
  • When I connect the player to my MacBook Pro M1 it enables the the Ultra High Mode/Desktop Mode. The player does not allows charging if I de-select the Desktop Mode in the prompt window while listening to Apple Music, although if I go to the Settings > Battery section I can see that it says that it's charging, noting that the Disable Battery Charging option is not enabled.
  • Connecting the player to the iPad charger (latest gen) enables Ultra High Mode/Desktop Mode but the same, no charging when I de-select Desktop Mode.
  • Connecting the player to my Fujiflim charger to power main with normal USB C cable (not FIIO), charges fine.
@FiiO, could you please release an urgent firmware update to fix some of these inconsistencies, for example Ultra High Mode/Desktop Mode via USB C (Windows) and the ability to charge the player whilst listening to music in Ultra High Mode with the Desktop Mode disabled. This player is very good, sonically speaking but the fiddle with connection requirements is taking away the joy a bit. I know it's a stretch that a firmware would be able to fix some of the above mentioned findings but I'm hoping that there is something to be done here.

Otherwise, I congratulate @FiiO for the leap forward in terms of sound and options that it provides without the connection compromises.

Cheers.

Jul 11, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #493 of 945
Greetings, I'm really enjoying listening to my music collection through the M15s, however it was a learning curve to get to connect to my Windows and MacBook Pro M1. Here is what I've learned:

• Connecting it to the Acer Predator Helios 300 2018 model - USB C only charges and doesn't prompt the Ultra High Mode/Desktop Mode using the FIIO USB C cable. When I connect it to the USB A port with the 3.0 it allows me to use it as USB DAC mode and charges via the USB C to A cable provided in the box.
  • When I connect the player to my MacBook Pro M1 it enables the the Ultra High Mode/Desktop Mode. The player does not allows charging if I de-select the Desktop Mode in the prompt window while listening to Apple Music, although if I go to the Settings > Battery section I can see that it says that it's charging, noting that the Disable Battery Charging option is not enabled.
  • Connecting the player to the iPad charger (latest gen) enables Ultra High Mode/Desktop Mode but the same, no charging when I de-select Desktop Mode.
  • Connecting the player to my Fujiflim charger to power main with normal USB C cable (not FIIO), charges fine.
@FiiO, could you please release an urgent firmware update to fix some of these inconsistencies, for example Ultra High Mode/Desktop Mode via USB C (Windows) and the ability to charge the player whilst listening to music in Ultra High Mode with the Desktop Mode disabled. This player is very good, sonically speaking but the fiddle with connection requirements is taking away the joy a bit. I know it's a stretch that a firmware would be able to fix some of the above mentioned findings but I'm hoping that there is something to be done here.

Otherwise, I congratulate @FiiO for the leap forward in terms of sound and options that it provides without the connection compromises.

Cheers.
Dear friend,

The ultra high mode and desktop mode could be enabled separately.
Please go to system setting-General-Desktop mode option for check. Is the Desktop mode be enabled when the M15s fails to be charged when connecting to fast charger?
If the issue remains still, would you mind showing a small video for reproducing the issue to support@fiio.com?
Thanks in advance!

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 19, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #495 of 945
Just got the M15s today and I’m enjoying it so far. One question I have though is how do I set up the roon ready mode. I’ve searched but can’t seem to find an answer.

On my M11 Plus, the easiest way is to run the "Fiio Roon" app:

Screenshot 2023-07-19 at 7.05.53 AM.png

Don't forget to enable the zone on/at the Roon Core under "Settings, Audio".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back