FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Apr 18, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #1,996 of 4,083
Actually any android DAP is actually a a PMP = portable media player.

Devices that can only play music like f.e Sony WM1x are DAP Digital Au
FB_IMG_1586576397184.jpg
dio Players

Apr 18, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #1,997 of 4,083
Guys, I'm just getting my feet wet in the MQA pond and need some advice on playing back such music files offline as I never stream. So my question is can I, at all, play back MQA files with my Fiio M11Pro or M15 or I need to stream or use MQA cd and a compatible cd player?

I'm not an experienced MQA listener, but when I playback downloaded sample MQA files on the Fiio Music app or UAPP, it displays as 352/24. Same file on JRiver media player only shows as 44/16.

You can try with these free samples:

http://www.2l.no/hires/

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #1,998 of 4,083
Guys, I'm just getting my feet wet in the MQA pond and need some advice on playing back such music files offline as I never stream. So my question is can I, at all, play back MQA files with my Fiio M11Pro or M15 or I need to stream or use MQA cd and a compatible cd player?

I don't want to interfere with your decision but just wanted to mention what I think about MQA: MQA is a real PIA of the audio community. I have had / tried many DAPs until now, and I don't remember a single one where there were no complaints about the MQA support - if any support of MQA is mentioned at all. It is something that does not make sense to exist and just being pushed in front of us because the 'genius' person/people that started it happens to have too much money for influencing the market. Otherwise, for me, it is a dead investment in the age of large data bandwidths and pretty advanced DACs. So, I would rather go for 44.1/16 simple CD rate FLAC files rather than MQA, because I am sure I can play FLAC everywhere.

MQA sooner or later will die...

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #2,000 of 4,083
I'm not an experienced MQA listener, but when I playback downloaded sample MQA files on the Fiio Music app or UAPP, it displays as 352/24. Same file on JRiver media player only shows as 44/16.

You can try with these free samples:

http://www.2l.no/hires/

Great tip, thank you!

I don't want to interfere with your decision but just wanted to mention what I think about MQA: MQA is a real PIA of the audio community. I have had / tried many DAPs until now, and I don't remember a single one where there were no complaints about the MQA support - if any support of MQA is mentioned at all. It is something that does not make sense to exist and just being pushed in front of us because the 'genius' person/people that started it happens to have too much money for influencing the market. Otherwise, for me, it is a dead investment in the age of large data bandwidths and pretty advanced DACs. So, I would rather go for 44.1/16 simple CD rate FLAC files rather than MQA, because I am sure I can play FLAC everywhere.

MQA sooner or later will die...

I hear you! As I said I am not bent on MQA but now that I have a DAP that can handle it, I thought I'd give it a try. I have too much time on my hands these days, anyway. I am aware of the agenda behind this format and the creators' nasty behavior at the 2018 RMAF when Chris Connacker from computeraudiophile gave a lecture about it to an audience totally repelled me.

Apr 19, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #2,001 of 4,083
I hear you! As I said I am not bent on MQA but now that I have a DAP that can handle it, I thought I'd give it a try. I have too much time on my hands these days, anyway. I am aware of the agenda behind this format and the creators' nasty behavior at the 2018 RMAF when Chris Connacker from computeraudiophile gave a lecture about it to an audience totally repelled me.

Yeah, sure, why not. But as you said, they are just nasty nasty people (like in the video) trying to use their money to dive deeper into our pockets. You know, there are some brands that are not allowed to be mentioned in these forums, as they, as I understand, tried to convince (bribe?) reviewers to write positive reviews about their product. And now they are banned. And frankly, MQA should have been one of those scams that should have been banned, as they survived this far by using the same (even much worse) methods.

Anyway, back to M15. :)

Apr 19, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #2,002 of 4,083
Hello, new user here.

Been following the thread for a LONG time- recently put an order in for the M15 first week of April and just waiting for a local shop to send it out.
How is everyone enjoying their device? I see couple of screens messily put on.

Kind regards,

Apr 19, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #2,006 of 4,083
a question,
has anyone tried to connect the M15 in USB DAC mode and an Android phone with the Fiio CL06 cable?
Do you have confirmation that it works?
I'm just doing tests to understand how to use a tablet as a player and go digital on an external DAC.

Can Fiio confirm if M15 works as a DAC with a tablet?

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #2,007 of 4,083
a question,
has anyone tried to connect the M15 in USB DAC mode and an Android phone with the Fiio CL06 cable?
Do you have confirmation that it works?
I'm just doing tests to understand how to use a tablet as a player and go digital on an external DAC.

Can Fiio confirm if M15 works as a DAC with a tablet?

I reported an issue about it some to @FiiO time ago and apparently it still is not fixed. If I set the M15 to DAC mode, my mobile phone complains that it draws too much power and cuts the connection. There is an option in the menus somewhere to disable the charging but it does not help in DAC mode. Maybe your mobile phone or tablet would be OK with the power drawn but not with mine.

Apr 19, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #2,008 of 4,083
I reported an issue about it some to @FiiO time ago and apparently it still is not fixed. If I set the M15 to DAC mode, my mobile phone complains that it draws too much power and cuts the connection. There is an option in the menus somewhere to disable the charging but it does not help in DAC mode. Maybe your mobile phone or tablet would be OK with the power drawn but not with mine.
This is amusing to me. I ran into the same problem (DAP draining phone battery while playing in DAC mode) with my Cowon Plenue II. I sent feedback to Cowon, and a month later a new firmware version came out with UI to turn off charging while in DAC mode.

At least with my Cowon, DAC mode was completely unusable from a phone or tablet — drained the ‘other’ battery in like 20 - 30 minutes.

Apr 19, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #2,009 of 4,083
Hi friends! Today i added new iem. Noble Audio Khan. I will test it against Solaris. First impressions are quite good. I have ordered a better cable from Nobunagalabs, hope to get it next week. Stay safe!
Aren’t this better ported on Solaris and khan threads.
however, I hear that Solaris is big and this khan looks bigger?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back