FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Apr 12, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #1,968 of 4,083
Apr 13, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #1,969 of 4,083
All my confusion about the DSD and FLAC difference seems to be solved now after a factory reset. Maybe the EQ couldn't be disengaged, I am not sure, but I checked it as the first suspect and it was not enabled.

Anyway, that is good news that I can stop converting the files to DSD and save some space. Phew...

Apr 13, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #1,970 of 4,083
More extended listening with M15

Really impressed that standby only uses about 2% battery per day with wifi and BT turned off. Back to impressions - switching to my IER-Z1R (40 ohm input) sound is very balanced with excellent extension in lows and highs. IMHO, tone is neutral perhaps a little on the analytical side whereas my WM1z is a little on the musical side. I realize this is opposite of what other early owners have experienced. Perhaps the impedance matching is reason. For reference, I am using SD Slow Roll Off filter that I've come to prefer for AKM DACs. I find this filter a good balance of high end accuracy with low end impact.

Apr 13, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #1,971 of 4,083
More extended listening with M15

Really impressed that standby only uses about 2% battery per day with wifi and BT turned off. Back to impressions - switching to my IER-Z1R (40 ohm input) sound is very balanced with excellent extension in lows and highs. IMHO, tone is neutral perhaps a little on the analytical side whereas my WM1z is a little on the musical side. I realize this is opposite of what other early owners have experienced. Perhaps the impedance matching is reason. For reference, I am using SD Slow Roll Off filter that I've come to prefer for AKM DACs. I find this filter a good balance of high end accuracy with low end impact.

The sound has changed quite a bit in time. I was even using an external amp in the beginning for a more analytical sound, but I don't hear much difference anymore. The upper registers even remind me of Hugo2. A resolving HP like Stellia really shines with it. I am actually wondering if it could be that the EQ was incorrectly enabled although it was displayed as disabled for those who thought it is warm even after a long burn in period.

As soon as the corona crisis ends, I am willing to give the D9200 and the HEDDphone a try with the M15.

Apr 13, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #1,973 of 4,083
Next Up Focal Utopia - using over ear mode with volume set in the high 70s. Definitely an analytical, even clinical tone but the M15 can dish out some excellent resolution. Probably as close to how stock Utopia sounds from memory. I personally like to pair Utopia with a more musical smooth source like Sony TA-ZH1es. If M15 has a warm tone, I would have heard it here and it was no where to be found.

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #1,974 of 4,083
@FiiO , here is some feedback on M15 and latest firmware as of April 17, 2020:
  • Video apps have significant audio delay. I have tried both Youtube and Netflix and the lip sync is pretty bad and unwatchable. Can this be fixed? When used as DAC or even in BT receive mode (AAC and Aptx-LL) there is no sync issue. However it would be more convenient to be able to watch videos on M15.
  • Assuming, you can fix the above issue - there is another problem. The screen will automatically turn off while watching videos. Video playing should not be considered inactive and screen should stay on.
  • Chrome browser - Apple Music browser version is now fully launched. I can access and sign in just fine, but I get no audio. Can M15 support Chrome browser audio? This will greatly help in cases where the mobile app doesn't work. Apple Music app will not work because there is no way for Apple to send a confirmation text to the M15 that is required for sign in.
There are various minor issues with apps that I've tried but I think the above are system level issues that hopefully can be resolved in firmware updates.

Thanks

Apr 17, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #1,976 of 4,083
If you like to watch videos on a tiny screen, you chose the wrong system :wink: :wink:

There are many instances where I watch downloaded Netflix videos where I don't lug around a laptop. Subway rides for one.

Apr 17, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #1,977 of 4,083
Guys, I'm just getting my feet wet in the MQA pond and need some advice on playing back such music files offline as I never stream. So my question is can I, at all, play back MQA files with my Fiio M11Pro or M15 or I need to stream or use MQA cd and a compatible cd player?

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #1,978 of 4,083
There are many instances where I watch downloaded Netflix videos where I don't lug around a laptop. Subway rides for one.
Phone

Apr 17, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #1,979 of 4,083
You can stream MQA from TIDAL on those devices. But I am curious if MQA sounds better than normal Hi-Res. I don’t have MQA hardware, so I am capped at 96kHz decoding. To my knowledge, dealing with MQA is asking for trouble. Compared to normal HiRes files, MQA requires additional decryption and signal filtering. It complicates circuit design, thus increases hardware cost and usually hurts sound quality.
From my experience, Qobuz 96kHz >TIDAL 96kHz MQA > Qobuz 44kHz > TIDAL 44kHz > Apple Music AAC > Spotify. I wonder how 192kHz MQA sounds like.

Apr 17, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #1,980 of 4,083
@FiiO , here is some feedback on M15 and latest firmware as of April 17, 2020:
  • Video apps have significant audio delay. I have tried both Youtube and Netflix and the lip sync is pretty bad and unwatchable. Can this be fixed? When used as DAC or even in BT receive mode (AAC and Aptx-LL) there is no sync issue. However it would be more convenient to be able to watch videos on M15.
  • Assuming, you can fix the above issue - there is another problem. The screen will automatically turn off while watching videos. Video playing should not be considered inactive and screen should stay on.
  • Chrome browser - Apple Music browser version is now fully launched. I can access and sign in just fine, but I get no audio. Can M15 support Chrome browser audio? This will greatly help in cases where the mobile app doesn't work. Apple Music app will not work because there is no way for Apple to send a confirmation text to the M15 that is required for sign in.
There are various minor issues with apps that I've tried but I think the above are system level issues that hopefully can be resolved in firmware updates.

Thanks

You are wasting your money listening to compressed music on M15. Try Qobuz or TIDAL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back