[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
Jun 8, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #2,461 of 9,288
I keep reading this is a neutral player (I read that as boring) which almost put me off, but this is a step up from what I'm used to.

It's not totally neutral, it's got a touch of warmth and bite. I would say it's neutralish compared to warmer daps. The sr15 and zx300, wm1a sounded in the same vein to me. Very open sounding.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #2,462 of 9,288
I'm not one for fancy talk, I've bought 13 daps in the past 6 months this is the only one to not go back. It sounds good and doesn't piss me off when trying to use it.

Jun 8, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #2,463 of 9,288
I'm not one for fancy talk, I've bought 13 daps in the past 6 months this is the only one to not go back. It sounds good and doesn't piss me off when trying to use it.
What're the other DAPs you've tried and what're your opinions on them?

Jun 8, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #2,464 of 9,288
Just tested mine with bluetooth. using Fiio RC-BT over aptx HD, volume is at 96 and is equivalent to my normal listening volume. I can go up to 120 and not blow my eardrums, but audio quality is still great. I can see where on some older BT hardware this could be too low of volume for some. Doesn't effect me much as I don't really use bluetooth with it and am primarily using coax or 3.5 for now.

Jun 8, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #2,465 of 9,288
Cant figure out the album art. I have a 64gb Sandisk card with about 4 thousand songs, all connected to album art.When I play random songs they do arrive with the album art on screen but when I go to fiio app to look at my album art only the first 50 or so appear and the rest don't as I scroll through albums.I know the art is there but it doesn't all show up as I scroll. My card is in SD slot one, should I switch it to slot 2 and try to rescan the card. The same card was used in the M3K and all album art appeared with no problem.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #2,466 of 9,288
What're the other DAPs you've tried and what're your opinions on them?

Most the ones rec'd on the forum under 1k outside of the r6 pro. I sent them all back and was happier using my cellphone

Jun 8, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #2,467 of 9,288
Read your signature and noticed you have a Z7. What are your opinions on it, and how does it pair up with the M11?
I have not actually tried it with the m11. Maybe this week.

Jun 9, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #2,469 of 9,288
Maybe. Hey Thomas, I tested that Daft Punk track on fiio music and it definitely had more weight in the bass notes. On hiby music it sounded more leaner so I can understand that bass weight throwing things off a bit. I've been running this thing at night for ****s and giggles and I do think everything has tightened up a bit.

Not night and day difference between the 2 apps but fiio app seems weightier on bass, and a bit richer in mids and maybe a touch more 3d?

This was without any eq or dsp effects on both players.

Found another track that very clear demonstrates the issue. Pharrell Williams - Can I have it like that.

On the M11, it's a bassy soup in the low end. On SR15 or even M11 with external amp all the different low frequency instrument layers more well defined.

I'm sure with lots of music types, this isn't so much of an issue. But if you listen to bass heavy music it gets tiring as it it's difficult to decipher what's going on.

Jun 9, 2019 at 5:21 AM Post #2,470 of 9,288
Found another track that very clear demonstrates the issue. Pharrell Williams - Can I have it like that.

On the M11, it's a bassy soup in the low end. On SR15 or even M11 with external amp all the different low frequency instrument layers more well defined.

I'm sure with lots of music types, this isn't so much of an issue. But if you listen to bass heavy music it gets tiring as it it's difficult to decipher what's going on.

Mine now sounds good with the daft punk track after some burn in the bass tightened up. Or if you don't want to wait just use another player like hiby music or the eq. The tuning of the fiio music app is a weightier bass. If you really want a thinner short bass, use hiby msbe.

Honestly even with fiio music the bass on mine is well separated and defined/resolving on bass heavy tracks. And I'm using iems and headphones that produce lots of low end.

Maybe someone besides fiio can measure the output. But there graphs show a flat response, so I don't expect it's adding anything in the lower frequencies.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #2,471 of 9,288
So im getting tired of dragging and dropping songs from my tunes account on my iMac to the card .Looking for a quick way to just sync my 90GB of music from my iMac iTunes into a 128GB card in my m11 just the way its effortlessly done using an iPod with one sync push of button. Does the Android software Fiio talks about on their site or the wireless adding of music allow this effortless sync? Would hate to have to buy software to make syncing work. Thanks for your help.

Jun 9, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #2,472 of 9,288
So tested leaving the M11 on standby for 10 hours and having all to DSD and high gain enabled, from 100% droped to 94%.

Hope this helps

Juj

Jun 9, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #2,473 of 9,288
Cant figure out the album art. I have a 64gb Sandisk card with about 4 thousand songs, all connected to album art.When I play random songs they do arrive with the album art on screen but when I go to fiio app to look at my album art only the first 50 or so appear and the rest don't as I scroll through albums.I know the art is there but it doesn't all show up as I scroll. My card is in SD slot one, should I switch it to slot 2 and try to rescan the card. The same card was used in the M3K and all album art appeared with no problem.

Embedded album art? I have no problem with it. Haven't tested external art though.

Jun 9, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #2,474 of 9,288
Mine now sounds good with the daft punk track after some burn in the bass tightened up. Or if you don't want to wait just use another player like hiby music or the eq. The tuning of the fiio music app is a weightier bass. If you really want a thinner short bass, use hiby msbe.

Honestly even with fiio music the bass on mine is well separated and defined/resolving on bass heavy tracks. And I'm using iems and headphones that produce lots of low end.

Maybe someone besides fiio can measure the output. But there graphs show a flat response, so I don't expect it's adding anything in the lower frequencies.
I’m with you on this. Random Access Memories is one of my favorite albums. I’ve played it countless times on my desktop rig, and the mobile rig doesn’t leave me wanting at all. If anything the bass is more visceral with the M11 and FH5 than with the HD800 for example. I’m also not hearing any ‘soup’ in the bassline of ‘Lose Yourself’. It’s clear and vast and I can hear the separation of rumble and bass just fine. Honestly if you’re looking to put a magnifying glass on your music to that degree on a mobile rig, I just don’t know... (And if you are, the answer lies in different IEMs, not a different dap).

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #2,475 of 9,288
It's not totally neutral, it's got a touch of warmth and bite. I would say it's neutralish compared to warmer daps. The sr15 and zx300, wm1a sounded in the same vein to me. Very open sounding.

Although it's pretty new in my hands and ears, I have to agree with your assessment. It's neutral but not totally neutral. It leans ever so slightly towards the lower end and that's what makes it to sound smooth and musical.

Last night I had a brief session with my K550. These cans are flat to a point that these days I only use them with my Audeze Deckard as an office setup.
I played some 80's recording which tend to sound harsh unless you play them from their original vinyl pressings.
They never sounded harsh, the cymbals never sounded piercing and also didn't notice a lack in bass. I'd say there was a sweet spot between lean neutrality and musicality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back