[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
May 4, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #1,021 of 9,288
Hey guys. The M11 being my first ever Android device, I must say I’m having great fun discovering its capabilities (excellent sound quality aside). From printing to opening documents to playing movies, it does it all, and very well indeed. With a few caveats. So a few questions for you Android gurus:

1. Any idea how to force rotate the screen? After a video, for example, screen stays in landscape mode and you have to switch back to the desktop to rotate it. Is there a button or setting or gesture that can rotate the screen back to portrait, or vice versa? I’d prefer not to have to get an app for that.

2. For some reason I can’t set up my wireless Canon printer using the system’s default settings. If I try print something, it detects my printer and indicates that it wants to download software for it, but clicking on the Canon logo it shows me does nothing. Only when I download Canon’s printing app can I print, but then only through the app - it’s not a systemwide printer.

These are just two side issues I have for now. Nothing to do with sound, I know, but this device is just so temptingly versatile...
First off, get the Aurora store, quick Google search will give you a download.

Then look for rotation control, that app should put you in charge of orientation. There are others as well.

Aurora works really nicely, downloads straight to the M11 then choose to install.

Printing I can't help you with I'm afraid.

May 4, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #1,022 of 9,288
First off, get the Aurora store, quick Google search will give you a download.

Then look for rotation control, that app should put you in charge of orientation. There are others as well.

Aurora works really nicely, downloads straight to the M11 then choose to install.

Printing I can't help you with I'm afraid.
Thanks for this. Another question - is there any way to permanently remove (rather than just disable) ES File Explorer? I heard it's riddled with security holes so I'd like to uninstall it, but there's no uninstall option because it's part of the system on the M11 for some reason.

May 5, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #1,024 of 9,288
Thanks for this. Another question - is there any way to permanently remove (rather than just disable) ES File Explorer? I heard it's riddled with security holes so I'd like to uninstall it, but there's no uninstall option because it's part of the system on the M11 for some reason.

Probably can't remove it without rooting and then flashing a custom ROM which has it pre-removed. But disabling it should be good enough.
You can also install Nova Launcher and the put ES File Explorer in the 'Hidden Apps' section of the app drawer, meaning that although it still takes a little space on your device, you'll never notice it again.
You may (possibly) need to disable it each time you get a system update - next time you apply one, check in Settings/Apps to ensure it is still inactive.

May 5, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #1,025 of 9,288
Probably can't remove it without rooting and then flashing a custom ROM which has it pre-removed. But disabling it should be good enough.
You can also install Nova Launcher and the put ES File Explorer in the 'Hidden Apps' section of the app drawer, meaning that although it still takes a little space on your device, you'll never notice it again.
You may (possibly) need to disable it each time you get a system update - next time you apply one, check in Settings/Apps to ensure it is still inactive.
Thanks that’s exactly what I’ve done. Using Nova and disabling ES. Using Solid Explorer instead, which looks more polished to me. Speaking of polished, I’m loving Nova Launcher - so many options and so powerful. Can customize almost anything on the display. Pretty much set now - hope I don’t have to redo all my tweaking every time there’s a firmware update :p

May 5, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #1,026 of 9,288
Got mine a few days ago and it's like what everyone else is saying, this should have been the M9.

I own an M9 as well, that I am selling in case you are interested and you live in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area).

May 5, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #1,028 of 9,288
It's more fuller, envelopes you more. I guess the term is warmer maybe?
The updated Fiio Music app is much better than the older version on the M9.
And I also have Poweramp on it.

It runs way way faster than the M9.

If I was to give advice, I would say get the M6 or the M11, just forget about the M9.

May 5, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #1,030 of 9,288
Sounds more vibrant to me using my BGVP DMGs.
Like the sound has opened up more.
Sorry, I am sure there are technical terms for what I am saying.
I feel like there is more dynamic range. A slight difference that is.

May 5, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #1,031 of 9,288
Sounds more vibrant to me using my BGVP DMGs.
Like the sound has opened up more.
Sorry, I am sure there are technical terms for what I am saying.
I feel like there is more dynamic range. A slight difference that is.

Hi

Did you ever use the M6 as a USB transport out to an external DAC? if so, was it successful and what files (eg DSD) and DAC did you use?

May 5, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #1,032 of 9,288
A slight difference that is.

So are you saying the sound difference between the M6 and M11 is a slight opening of the sound? Im wondering if upgrading to the M11 is worth it for me since all music I listen to comes from my own collection on 64GB card? No interest in streaming thus Im thinking the M6 will suffice(unless the sound quality is lacking.) Im going to be using the Phillips ShP 3500 as my headphone of choice.

May 5, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #1,033 of 9,288
So are you saying the sound difference between the M6 and M11 is a slight opening of the sound? Im wondering if upgrading to the M11 is worth it for me since all music I listen to comes from my own collection on 64GB card? No interest in streaming thus Im thinking the M6 will suffice(unless the sound quality is lacking.) Im going to be using the Phillips ShP 3500 as my headphone of choice.

I don't think it's worth the upgrade to be honest, paying more than double for 10-20% extra in SQ is a real personal choice.

May 5, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #1,034 of 9,288
I don't think it's worth the upgrade to be honest, paying more than double for 10-20% extra in SQ is a real personal choice.

Thanks so much.Finally a balanced answer on M11 sound. I own the Fiio M3K and the M6 and sound signature of both is pretty similar(especially since arrival of M3K firmware with custom eq.) I felt Fiio could not have changed their signature sound very much for the M11.I may still buy it based on the variety of things the M11 can do and Im sure I will like its sound quality. The M6 has a better form factor for portability so I will probably hold onto it for the summer months.

May 6, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #1,035 of 9,288
Got mine a few days ago and it's like what everyone else is saying, this should have been the M9.

I own an M9 as well, that I am selling in case you are interested and you live in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area).

I live in the GTA and considered the M9 for quite awhile. Picked up a store demo M7 for less than an M6 and I don't need streaming. Having compared the M7 to the M6 I actually think the M7 sounds better. Going to the M9 I would lose half the battery life and again not use streaming. So probably good with the M7 for now, if you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for the M11? I am guessing to buy it local would be around $600 CDN which is way to much for me but still curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back