[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
Jun 26, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #8,176 of 9,288
No, I think it's only usb-c output will transfer to an external dac directly as pass through without using internal dac first (maybe M11 as Upnp server too trough wifi).

All other output will use first the internal M11 dac and convert signal through output signal to another dac (Optical/Spdif) or amp (LineOut). But Bluetooth will be limited to LDAC if a receiver is used (with a lossy conversion like MQA) I am not sure any Bluetooth IEM or Headphone on the market can accept LDAC directly.
I have never used a M11 UPNP server through wifi, but it should be able to be much better than Bluetooth as it can be used as pass-through signal like USB-C connection.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #8,177 of 9,288
In short DSD can be transferred to another DAC as DSD only with USB-C or Wifi... no other way.

Jun 28, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #8,178 of 9,288
@FiiO Listening with Qobuz to files imported to SD card, playing them through different DACs via Coax, very often my M11 stops in mid track for 1 second. The problem is independent from the Qobuz version I use (currently I am in the beta program of Qobuz) and Wifi being used or not. The problem does not occur (or that often) when listening via Bluetooth or cable.
In the moment the playback stops one can see that the Qobuz player stays at the same time mark.
Having these problems I bought myself a HiBy R6 Pro to test if the same problems would occur. The HiBy R6 Pro never stops playbacks for a second mid track. The current situation makes the FiiO M11 unusable for me, as the use of Qobuz and an external DAC is important for me.
As the M11 and the HiBy Pro 6 run on the same Qobuz version it is clear that this is a M11 problem. Hoping for you support.
@FiiO Qobuz problem exists also when using headphones via cable and Bluetooth. Not at the same rate but quite often.
Please advise.

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #8,179 of 9,288
Hey guys I just bought the fiio M11 need a little help. Love the build quality love the screen the sound is a little on the right side for me I've heard the sound changes if you go to the balanced side.

I'm using moondrop Starfield iems and the sound on the fiio is like okay I don't think it's fantastic it's good but it's not great.

So I think there's a 2.5 mm and a 4.4 mm balanced side can I just get an adapter that goes from 4.4 male to 3.5 female and plug in my IEM and use the balanced side?

And will the hifiman sundara will the balanced side of the M11 be able to drive those headphones things I've read about the M11 is it doesn't drive full size cans that great I guess it's depending on the impedance of each one but anybody using that headphone on this d a p?

Thank you ahead of time for any replies or information that you give me thank you.

Jun 30, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #8,180 of 9,288
Welcome! Unfortunately, you will not be able to use a simple adapter to change your unbalanced cable to balanced. You need to get an actual balanced cable for your Starfield IEMs. Once you have that you can go unbalanced with an adapter.

The Sundara headphones are very inefficient and at 37 ohms need a lot of power which will be hard to find from any portable DAP. Since the Sundara‘s are not travel-ready my suggestion would be to use the M11 as a source for a desktop amp.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #8,181 of 9,288
So I think there's a 2.5 mm and a 4.4 mm balanced side can I just get an adapter that goes from 4.4 male to 3.5 female and plug in my IEM and use the balanced side?
No .. You need a real balanced cable to use 4.4mm plug ... I don't think adapters even exist, It can be a real bad idea to try such connection.

And will the hifiman sundara will the balanced side of the M11 be able to drive those headphones things I've read about the M11 is it doesn't drive full size cans that great I guess it's depending on the impedance of each one but anybody using that headphone on this d a p?

I don't know exactly the hifiman sundara, but they are 37 Ohms with 94db sensitivity which needs some peak power to move fully in low frequency range. I doubt the M11can provide sufficient power as it's a bit limited with more or less 4V 550mw available. I am obliged to use an external amp with comparable headphones. Some brands like Hiby have 750mw at 32ohms on the H6pro, should be more in the target for such headphones. M11 and M15pro are probably not powered enough.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #8,182 of 9,288
Adapters do exist on Amazon they cancelled my order since it probably won't work I thought it might work. Okay so I need to find a balanced cable with a 4.4 no meter plug on the end and the two pin 0.78 on the other end. I have read a few reviews that claimed the balanced side has a better sound warmer cleaner so I guess I need to find a cable on Amazon.

If it won't drive the Hi-Fi man Sundara those are the headphones that I really want to buy I've heard so many good things about him other than spotty build quality but supposedly the sound from the reviews are bet it's something that I'm looking for..

Right now the M11 is sounding too bright to me I need something a little warmer I do like my starfields and I don't want to be shopping around for different IEM to try to adapt to the m11.

I don't think I would use the M11 just as a source and get a desktop amp. I think I would probably just start over with a DAC and amp desktop that I'm kind of known to go good with the sundara.

The sound would have to change quite a bit going on the balanced side of the M11 for me to keep it anyways I'm really not liking the sound. But I did to spend $300 on it so I'm going to find a balanced cable and see if that does anything for me and go from there thank you for all of your help and I will just find the cable and go from that point see what it does thank you.

Jun 30, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #8,183 of 9,288
On second thought I could use the M11 as my source and just fine an amp that'll warm up the sound a little for me like maybe a tube amp or search for an amp a desktop an slightly warm up my sound I may do that too.

Thank you I appreciate all your input I'm just trying to figure this out I really like my starfields when I run them off of my ZTE axon 7 phone they sound really good there's just not quite enough power in the phone that's why I bought the M11. And I've been through the lgv40 v50 they make good DAC amps they sound pretty darn good for a phone but they're not very good phones so those are out of the question.

And I guess I need to read more on the sundara not sure if it's kind of warm sounding to begin with I think it is if I remember have a slight warmth to it.

Any suggestions on a desktop amp do add a touch of warmth to my M11 would be appreciated again thanks for all your information I appreciate it.

Jun 30, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #8,184 of 9,288
Adapters do exist on Amazon they cancelled my order since it probably won't work I thought it might work. Okay so I need to find a balanced cable with a 4.4 no meter plug on the end and the two pin 0.78 on the other end. I have read a few reviews that claimed the balanced side has a better sound warmer cleaner so I guess I need to find a cable on Amazon.

If it won't drive the Hi-Fi man Sundara those are the headphones that I really want to buy I've heard so many good things about him other than spotty build quality but supposedly the sound from the reviews are bet it's something that I'm looking for..

Right now the M11 is sounding too bright to me I need something a little warmer I do like my starfields and I don't want to be shopping around for different IEM to try to adapt to the m11.

I don't think I would use the M11 just as a source and get a desktop amp. I think I would probably just start over with a DAC and amp desktop that I'm kind of known to go good with the sundara.

The sound would have to change quite a bit going on the balanced side of the M11 for me to keep it anyways I'm really not liking the sound. But I did to spend $300 on it so I'm going to find a balanced cable and see if that does anything for me and go from there thank you for all of your help and I will just find the cable and go from that point see what it does thank you.
Two things you should also try are varying the type of tip. Foam tips can tame the treble or a better seal can tilt them bringing up the bass impact. The other thing is to experiment with the M11 EQ to find exactly the area you are not happy with and confirm its a frequency imbalance.

Jun 30, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #8,185 of 9,288
I am not one of those who likes coloured amps or any modification brought by electronic devices. But, for hifiman, I am in same case with Heddphone by Hedd; a Monolyth Thx 887 is bringing enough peak power connected to the M11 to bring amazing detailed low frequencies (it's connected to the 4.4mm M11 output via 2x XLR input of the amp). Such type of amps is affordable and can drive very easily low sensitivity headphones (Topping A90 or other recent Thx amps on the market seem to be good options too)

For IEMs, Neutron player and Usb Pro players can be an option for tidal/qobuz and any Flacs with their PEQs to correct low frequencies

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #8,186 of 9,288
Okay thanks guys so I found a cable on Amazon it got the two pin 0.782 goes into my IEM is on the other end it has a 4.4 mm Jack so I'm guessing that's all I need and then I can just plug it directly into the M11 and I should be on the balanced to end correct?

. I'm going to play with the EQ still trying to find out where everything is on the device but I did find the EQ from other people I've read and other review they said the EQ does very little but I'm going to try and I'm going to mess around with it and see if I can tone down some of the trevally sound I'm getting.

Jun 30, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #8,187 of 9,288
Such type of cable is the only way tu use a 4.4mm output.

Internal Parametric EQ won't work with Tidal or Qobuz.. it will be limited to Flac so I don't use it.

Jun 30, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #8,188 of 9,288
Is there another music player that's better than the fiio music player? Is there a better EQ to download ?

I was listening to the all DSD which is kind of cool convert everything to DSD I definitely noticed a difference in the sound quality but it sucks the battery down like crazy I'm imagine you probably only get about three hours of play and I think dead to better take so much power I think the all DSD sounds pretty good.

Okay well I got my cable ordered from Amazon I'll have it in a couple days I want to see if the balanced side makes any kind of difference other than more power obviously I want to hear a sound difference.

There's lots of things that I really like about this thing the screen is beautiful the whole thing seems built very well very solid. Thanks again everybody sorry for so many questions.

Jun 30, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #8,189 of 9,288
With M11, battery will be an issue with any android player and PEQ or all to DSD are activated ...
USB Pro player is rather interesting as it includes Qobuz and Tidal and can apply some PEQ and can use internal M11 DAC
I prefer Neutron player as it is more versatile to apply PEQ more selectively (Album, Genre, Type of Input, etc ..) but it needs to be set as Dlna renderer with Bubbleupnp as server fo Qobuz and Tidal (Or an external software on Iphone or Android like Mconnect to access all Web music too).

USB Pro player, Neutron and Bubbleupnp can fully use all the M11 buttons (Mconnect and many other software can't).

Jun 30, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #8,190 of 9,288
Okay thank you I forgot all about USB audio Pro I use that on my ZTE axon 7 phone I really like that player I think it's very good I didn't know I could put that on here I'm definitely going to install that.

So thanks again I'm going to install USB audio Pro and I will wait for my balanced cable to show up thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back