[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
Apr 9, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #7,831 of 9,288
A new DAP with a android 7.1, is that still a good choice?

I agree. At least get 8.x like HiBy. You never know when a developer is going to sunset support for an older version, and they can easily lock out older versions. It’s what we used to do when I was running DevOps for mobile stuff. Support for Android was a nightmare without even considering DAPs and their wackiness.

Apr 9, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #7,832 of 9,288
Developers of UAPP for example are aware, that there are Android 7 DAP's out there and they must have a very good reason, to stop support for it. Probably, in a year or two, there will be some new features, that can't be used on older DAP's. But to be honest, is there something really missing right now? If you really miss a killer feature, you bought the wrong DAP. All this discussion is pure speculation.
M11 / M11PRO / M15 are excellent DAP's that do their job. Support for Google Services is nice, but even without these would be excellent devices.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #7,833 of 9,288
By the way: FiiO X5-III and X7-II are on Android 5, UAPP and most Audio Player Apps are running well on these devices. Why are you not using one of these players? In two years from now, M11 / M11PRO / M15 will look very old like X5 and X7 now. I'm shure, you'll be on one of the newer DAP's by then.
So the question: Should I buy an M11 with Android 7 today could be easily answered: YES
Or you can wait and wait and wait ... there will always be something better ...

Apr 9, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #7,834 of 9,288
Audio player apps aren't the same as streaming apps. I can tell you from inside experience that development of those will always be focused around current mobile operating systems as the vast, vast majority of people don't use DAPs and instead use their phones to listen to streaming music.

If you stream, you want the latest you can get. If you don't stream, then hell, you don't even need Android! Get a used NW-ZX300 and be happy with the sound and battery life.

Apr 9, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #7,835 of 9,288
Finally got my M11 today.

It's quite larger than I thought.

Question, does this have a factory applied screen protector on it like previous generations? I noticed it had a stick paper on the screen side.

Apr 9, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #7,836 of 9,288
A new DAP with a android 7.1, is that still a good choice? knowing of the Fiio problems getting certification for Google Play Service. I am worried that android 7/7.1 will not be supported for long and you lose most of the streaming functionality and are left with an off-line device only. Android 11 is coming soon, should a new DAP not have at least Android 9 / Pie?

I've already moved on to the Cayin N6ii (A01 board + Android 8.1) since writing that. :scream:

I still want that Fiio M15 tho, but nobody seems to have one available.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #7,837 of 9,288
FYI: re: Amazon Music HD app bugs and the FiiO M11, I've posted a complaint/bug/information/misery-loves-company note on Amazon's forums: https://www.amazonforum.com/s/question/0D54P00007IDUxUSAX/fiio-m11-amazon-music-hd-fixes titled "FiiO M11 Amazon Music HD fixes?". I'm still trying to figure out what aggravates the app. Certainly switching between FiiO's music app and Amazon's will result in bad things. I'm pretty sure all the bugs are in Amazon's end, since Qobuz and Tidal don't have these problems.

Apr 9, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #7,838 of 9,288
I would very very very much appreciate if someone could confirm one small thing for me.

If I re-format one of the sd cards in my M11, will it give me the option to use it as internal storage?

I realize I could find this out on my own, but if one of you could confirm it instead it could save me hours of re-loading my sd card.

I'm sure someone here knows the answer from experience.

Thanks in advance

Apr 9, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #7,841 of 9,288
M11 does not give you the option to format as internal storage, you can only format as portable storage.
Look for yourself:
Goto Settings -> Storage and choose your SDcard.
Tap the three vertical dots on the top right corner of the screen.
Choose Storage settings -> Format
Only portable storage is offered ...

Apr 9, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #7,842 of 9,288
Dang, I was hoping for a different answer!

Although I am still very grateful, the google play functionality doesn't do a lot for me with only 32gb internal storage.

There's no option in my apps settings to change the offline download location, so I was hoping this would be a possible workaround.

Thank you @Vitandus and @HaPeKa for confirming that it won't work

Apr 9, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #7,843 of 9,288
Developers of UAPP for example are aware, that there are Android 7 DAP's out there and they must have a very good reason, to stop support for it. Probably, in a year or two, there will be some new features, that can't be used on older DAP's. But to be honest, is there something really missing right now? If you really miss a killer feature, you bought the wrong DAP. All this discussion is pure speculation.
M11 / M11PRO / M15 are excellent DAP's that do their job. Support for Google Services is nice, but even without these would be excellent devices.
It was an excellent DAP the day before it got Google Play, it’s slightly better the day after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back