[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
Oct 14, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #6,931 of 9,288
@FiiO or anyone who may have had this issue and fixed it...

My M11 has gone MONO!

Any ideas how to fix it?

Mono, with the fiio player, with tidal, with cloudplayer, with poweramp, all mono!

The balance function works in the audio settings so it's not a cable or hp issue.

Please help!

In pure music mode, it's mono also.

PS... Testing further, it's NOT mono when used in DAC mode.
Dear friend,

Did you try another headphones and do a factory restore but the issue remains? Which headphone output port are you using ?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 14, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #6,932 of 9,288
Ok, clearly it's not the headphones causing problems as I'm getting stereo in DAC mode :), and yes I've tried FH7 and T1 overears, in any case.

Using the 3.5mm output jack. Not got a reliable balanced cable to try 2.5mm sadly. Mine are all knackered.

I've not tried a factory reset, will try that, reluctantly, but its a bit of a PIA as it takes about 5 days to scan my Cloudplayer files :frowning2:

Will advise how I get on

Oct 14, 2019 at 3:38 AM Post #6,933 of 9,288
@FiiO or anyone who may have had this issue and fixed it...

My M11 has gone MONO!

Any ideas how to fix it?

Mono, with the fiio player, with tidal, with cloudplayer, with poweramp, all mono!

The balance function works in the audio settings so it's not a cable or hp issue.

Please help!

In pure music mode, it's mono also.

PS... Testing further, it's NOT mono when used in DAC mode.

Turn off the Mono Audio setting you accidentally clicked in settings/accessibility :beyersmile:

Oct 14, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #6,934 of 9,288
Turn off the Mono Audio setting you accidentally clicked in settings/accessibility :beyersmile:

Darn it! I checked audio settings and others, never thought to check accessibility, cos it's just soooo obvious that switching to mono is an accessibility setting, nice 1 Android :)

I've done a factory reset and it's cured the problem, thank goodness, so iIl never know if I did check the mono setting accidentally, lol. Thanks for this tip, anyhow.

@FiiO please note the factory reset did solve the problem, thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #6,935 of 9,288
I'm very new to all this. I received my FH7 on Friday and I'm getting some slight crackling/popping seemingly only on the lower frequencies. Not on the sub frequencies, only when there's a lot going on (ie. drum fills with distorted guitar with bass and vocals.) It's in both channels and comes and goes as it pleases. I've been using the M11 for a few months but haven't used anything close to this quality so I don't really know where to start. Currently I'm listening to the new Tool album at 96 kHz/24bit/~2000 kbps.

Oct 14, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #6,936 of 9,288
I'm very new to all this. I received my FH7 on Friday and I'm getting some slight crackling/popping seemingly only on the lower frequencies. Not on the sub frequencies, only when there's a lot going on (ie. drum fills with distorted guitar with bass and vocals.) It's in both channels and comes and goes as it pleases. I've been using the M11 for a few months but haven't used anything close to this quality so I don't really know where to start. Currently I'm listening to the new Tool album at 96 kHz/24bit/~2000 kbps.
Can you give me a track number and timestamp and describe what you're hearing? I'll listen on my side with my M11 and FH7 and report back here. If there are any other songs/examples, do share. You could just be hearing details in the recording you never knew were there...

Oct 14, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #6,937 of 9,288
Can you give me a track number and timestamp and describe what you're hearing? I'll listen on my side with my M11 and FH7 and report back here. If there are any other songs/examples, do share. You could just be hearing details in the recording you never knew were there...
"Legion Inoculant," I believe it's track 5 at 1:50 in the left speaker. 2:40-2:50 in both. I'm listening at 55 volume with Rock EQ on, but it still occurs when I turn EQ off.

Edit: As well, during "Invincible," from 3:00-3:45 I hear it when the guitar hits sometimes, especially after 3:34.
I do notice it lessens a little when I turn the volume up.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #6,939 of 9,288
"Legion Inoculant," I believe it's track 5 at 1:50 in the left speaker. 2:40-2:50 in both. I'm listening at 55 volume with Rock EQ on, but it still occurs when I turn EQ off.

Edit: As well, during "Invincible," from 3:00-3:45 I hear it when the guitar hits sometimes, especially after 3:34.
Are you connected balanced or SE? High gain or low gain. I've just had a listen on volume 45, balanced, high gain (fairly loud!), no pops or cracks or distortion, and nothing in the music that would suggest it would distort the IEMs like you're describing. Try it with another version of the file, or with Tidal. Also make sure you have All to DSD set to OFF. Lastly, have you 'burned in' you're FH7? If not, suggest you leave it playing at moderate volume for about 2 days on a random playlist, just to get any creases out of the drivers (so to speak). Good luck.

Oct 14, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #6,940 of 9,288
I've tried a few other songs and have the crackle across the board in the Fiio app, but I don't hear the same thing in Poweramp

Oct 14, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #6,941 of 9,288
Are you connected balanced or SE? High gain or low gain. I've just had a listen on volume 45, balanced, high gain (fairly loud!), no pops or cracks or distortion, and nothing in the music that would suggest it would distort the IEMs like you're describing. Try it with another version of the file, or with Tidal. Also make sure you have All to DSD set to OFF. Lastly, have you 'burned in' you're FH7? If not, suggest you leave it playing at moderate volume for about 2 days on a random playlist, just to get any creases out of the drivers (so to speak). Good luck.
I'm using the stock cable in SE on low gain. I don't get the distortion in Tidal or Poweramp. I've been using these iems a fair amount for the weekend, even running overnight sometimes.

Oct 14, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #6,942 of 9,288

I believe you are hearing the clipping caused by poor mastering. Fear Inoculum is known to have this issue, where there are areas where clipping occurs, and it sounds like what you describe. I’ve heard it too with my M11 and FH7, and on multiple versions of the album (CD edition, HiRes, Tidal). Check out the Steve Hoffman forum for more information regarding the mastering.

Oct 14, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #6,943 of 9,288
I'm using the stock cable in SE on low gain. I don't get the distortion in Tidal or Poweramp. I've been using these iems a fair amount for the weekend, even running overnight sometimes.
If it's only happening in FiiO Music then it's the software, not your IEMs. Incompatibilities between your high-res files and FiiO Music. What format are they in? Send some files to support@fiio.com with a description of the problem and let them check them out for you.

Oct 14, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #6,944 of 9,288
I believe you are hearing the clipping caused by poor mastering. Fear Inoculum is known to have this issue, where there are areas where clipping occurs, and it sounds like what you describe. I’ve heard it too with my M11 and FH7, and on multiple versions of the album (CD edition, HiRes, Tidal). Check out the Steve Hoffman forum for more information regarding the mastering.
That's odd, I've heard FI many times, at high volume and in multiple versions, and never heard any clipping whatsoever, with any headphones, IEMs or sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back