[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
Apr 19, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #676 of 9,288
LOL.

Come on, I didntd like M9s and M6s sound either. You're the guys without the M11 defending it to death, he's the guy asking a legit question, having a "get out of here" as answer.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #677 of 9,288
If that's the case I'll be definitely buying the M11. I loved the musicality of the X5-iii. It was just a bit short on battery life and the noise floor was quite high. The M11 has easily double the battery of X5-iii in real life scenario. If it's going to feature an ever so slightly more ''quiet'' output, it's going to be a winner for sure.
I am waiting for it to show in local dealers to listen first. But as i understand from comparison main upgrade from x5iii it is much much better screen and speed, but because of this battery work possibly no longer. Sound is difficult to differentiate, a little bit more controlled bass. And cleaner output, as this was already with m9. So i think you should like it.

Apr 19, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #678 of 9,288
I am waiting for it to show in local dealers to listen first. But as i understand from comparison main upgrade from x5iii it is much much better screen and speed, but because of this battery work possibly no longer. Sound is difficult to differentiate, a little bit more controlled bass. And cleaner output, as this was already with m9. So i think you should like it.

I had both the X5-iii and the R6 but in different periods so I had never done a direct comparison. However, from memory I liked the X5 much more in comparison to the R6 which sounded clinical and soulless to me - at least that was my impression. General impressions indeed are sometimes based on several other factors than sound per-se. It's unavoidable. I mean I also liked the design and functionality of the X5-iii better than that of the R6. The tactile volume knob and the brilliant grip and TPU case, the whole X5 thing was screaming ANALOGUE compared to the generic digital-esque R6. Contrary to what another guy wrote a few pages back, my impressions were the other way around after using those 2 players. He claimed the X5-iii as the more precise while the R6 more musical (or something similar to that). Well, I heard the exact opposite things while owning those devices.
I eventually ended up getting a used Sony Walkman NW-ZX2 which is by far the best soudning DAP I've ever heard but it's seriously buggy these days and limited in terms of app compatibility due to its archaic Android software. I guess one can never have it all....

As you rightly say, the wiser thing is to wait for a few reviews and comparisons to be published before committing to buy.

Apr 19, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #679 of 9,288
I have the M11 and R6Pro at the moment.
Using HibyMusic with MSEB / EQ on both, The R6Pro has the edge on power and maybe just on sound quality, the M11 has a way better screen, boots way faster and seems to run faster, i'm using it now to type this, its pretty much like a phone. Its wifi is also better. Its larger but lighter, about the same battery life. I really like both. The M11 is quite a bit cheaper.

Please note: When I used the Fiio player I didnt like the sound at all, also the EQ seemed to add distortion easily and it hardly changed the sound when moving the sliders.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #680 of 9,288
Hi. My M11 is on its merry way from China right now. It will be my first DAP, and I’m much looking forward to it. While waiting I’ve been pondering this issue of not being able to upgrade to Android later than 7.0. I agree that this is a DAP intended for playing music and not a, well, phone in need of the latest version of everything. But to get sound out of the device apps are needed. And apps are regularly updated.

So my question is whether it is a real concern that at some point the new version of Tidal, Spotify, Hiby Music or whatever it may be, will drop backwards compatibility with Android 7. I don’t have much experience with Android devices as I’m in the iOS camp for devices prior to the M11. But I know for a fact that in the Apple universe apps regularly break compatibility with older versions of iOS and from then onwards are impossible to install.

That an installed player app will continue to work for playing local music is obvious, so I guss my concern is mostly for streaming services like Tidal and Spotify.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #681 of 9,288
I have the M11 and R6Pro at the moment.
Using HibyMusic with MSEB / EQ on both, The R6Pro has the edge on power and maybe just on sound quality, the M11 has a way better screen, boots way faster and seems to run faster, i'm using it now to type this, its pretty much like a phone. Its wifi is also better. Its larger but lighter, about the same battery life. I really like both. The M11 is quite a bit cheaper.

Please note: When I used the Fiio player I didnt like the sound at all, also the EQ seemed to add distortion easily and it hardly changed the sound when moving the sliders.

I've never liked eq-ing the sound so I definitely feel what you say.
Hi. My M11 is on its merry way from China right now. It will bemy first DAP, and I’m much looking forward to it. While waiting I’ve been pondering this issue of not being able to upgrade to Android later than 7.0. I agree that this is a DAP intended for playing music and not a, well, phone in need of the latest version of everything. But to get sound out of the device apps are needed. And apps are regularly updated.

So my question is whether it is a real concern that at some point the new version of Tidal, Spotify, Hiby Music or whatever it may be, will drop backwards compatibility with Android 7. I don’t have much experience with Android devices as I’m in the iOS camp for devices prior to the M11. But I know for a fact that in the Apple universe apps regularly break compatibility with older versions of iOS and from then onwards are impossible to install.

That an installed player app will continue to work for playing local music is obvious, so I guss my concern is mostly for streaming services like Tidal and Spotify.

My NW-ZX2 runs Android 4.2 and I'm not able to run my favourite music app which is USB Audio Player Pro while Hiby app runs but with limitations and under a very primitive version. The basic Android version I think was lollipop 5.1 so any device running that one or newer, should be able to use most popular apps in the years to come. However, your question is valid.

Apr 19, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #682 of 9,288
Very valid question, and also one of the reasons I didn’t consider getting an Android dap before now. I think with the speed and power of a device like the M11, we should be safe with most of the apps we plan to use for a good 2-3 years, which is a very, very long time in tech. As a pure music player and even as a modern streaming player it will still be very functional and very relevant for even longer, probably 4-5 years, and if you’re still using it then, it will have proven itself a bargain of note. So I wouldn’t worry too much.

I’m typing this on an iPhone 7, which is 3 years old this year and as fast as any smart device I’d conceivably need for at least another 3 years. The M11 is probably as fast if not faster, and doesn’t need to do half the stuff my phone can (even though it probably could). So I wouldn’t sweat it.

Apr 19, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #683 of 9,288
I think the M11 is the best sounding dap they have so far. And haven’t had really any serious gripes about it yet. Not having google play is a bummer but still am able to get all apps to work I use except HULU. Some reason I can’t get any version to work... but have tidal, Spotify, Netflix, YouTube, amazon video, amazon shopping, bitdefender, hiby player, Roon, neutron paid version, EarStudio, Dropbox, etc.
I wish I could get it to connect to my car though... some reason it won’t! It’s not that old of a car, 2015 435i works well with all my devices but not the m11. But I tested LDAC with the Sony xm3’s and works very well but only when on connection priority mode and not sound quality priority... oddly it stutters like hell with that mode and even when right next to the player. Maybe this can be improved?

I still need to test the Stellia, Z1r’s, Empyrean, and for poops and giggles try susvara as I know it has no chance powering them.

I wish I could get JRemote to work, that’s my biggest bummer so far.

Anyone using any dlna connections to this or have any issues?

I don’t know the best way to transfer music to the device still. Wishing I could connect to my iPhone somehow and get music from it that I had for neutron player.

Apr 19, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #684 of 9,288
A couple of initial impressions

My M11 arrived from China this afternoon; 8 days from order to delivery, which I think is pretty good. I'm scanning songs now so I haven't done any listening yet (and I know that is the point!), but here are a couple of quick takes.

First, the M11 is much larger and quite a bit heavier than the M9. That's not really a surprise, but I wasn't quite prepared for the extent of the difference. It's about the same width as my iPhoneXs, but a little shorter and both thick and heavier.

Second, compared to the M9, the M11 is much faster and smoother in responding. The boot process is quick, scrolling has no gaps or jerks, and the two firmware updates done OTA were easy. The WiFi is much better, and about 400MB of Spotify tracks downloaded in under a minute.

I installed an Audible app, connected it to my account, and confirmed that audiobooks will play back. From a convenience standpoint that is a big deal to me; I didn't like switching back and forth to the iPhone to go from audiobook to music. The M9 can't do that.

I'll share more impressions when I have had a chance to play around some.

Apr 19, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #685 of 9,288
I think the M11 is the best sounding dap they have so far. And haven’t had really any serious gripes about it yet. Not having google play is a bummer but still am able to get all apps to work I use except HULU. Some reason I can’t get any version to work... but have tidal, Spotify, Netflix, YouTube, amazon video, amazon shopping, bitdefender, hiby player, Roon, neutron paid version, EarStudio, Dropbox, etc.
I wish I could get it to connect to my car though... some reason it won’t! It’s not that old of a car, 2015 435i works well with all my devices but not the m11. But I tested LDAC with the Sony xm3’s and works very well but only when on connection priority mode and not sound quality priority... oddly it stutters like hell with that mode and even when right next to the player. Maybe this can be improved?

I still need to test the Stellia, Z1r’s, Empyrean, and for ****s and giggles try susvara as I know it has no chance powering them.

I don’t know the best way to transfer music to the device still. Wishing I could connect to my iPhone somehow and get music from it that I had for neutron player.

If you didn't care about money or a slightly skiers / faster player, and you'd use the same app to play, which one would you get?

Apr 19, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #686 of 9,288
If you didn't care about money or a slightly skiers / faster player, and you'd use the same app to play, which one would you get?
Please clarify. ? Are you suggesting other DAPs? Or just any software player? Or ?

Apr 19, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #688 of 9,288

I still need to test the Stellia, Z1r’s, Empyrean, and for ****s and giggles try susvara as I know it has no chance powering them.

DLNA is very important for me as well. Hopefully someone could verify how it performs?

Apr 19, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #689 of 9,288
Given the same player (FiiO music is just out of the game, can't get the best from their players) and given you can get powerful apps such as Neutron in both Hiby R6 and FM1, ...

I have both hiby player and neutron paid version on the m11 and still testing them. They are very good so far. I can’t say which I like better. But the hardware of the m11 is a bargain. I absolutely hate daps and have tried a ton of them. But I’m I’m a desktop headphone guy and loudspeaker guy. Daps don’t mix with me and especially iems! But getting some Rai Penta’s soon and will be using with the m11. Trying to appreciate this for what it is. But it’s much better than previous fiio daps, that’s for sure!!!

Apr 19, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #690 of 9,288
DLNA is very important for me as well. Hopefully someone could verify how it performs?
I plan to test this soon. But have a huge list of other projects that I’ve been working on. The m11 was a random device that I decided to buy on a whim. A good friend of mine recommended I grab one on AliExpress from the fiio store as they were limited and likely to sell quick. But was told it was actually a decent dap... for once. And price isn’t 3K
At least for me... I don’t care about price of gear if it sits at home and doesn’t leave... but for portable gear, I refuse to carry expensive gear with me. crap.... first day I owned the m11 it slipped off the edge of a car I was working on and fell 2ft and hit the ground... darn tpu case did nothing and the m11 has a dent in the alum body. Bummer. All my gear is usually perfect/flawless but if I still had a Sony wm1z it’s going to get damaged or stolen with my luck. :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back