[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
Apr 20, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #706 of 9,288
So far, I am very happy with the upgrade from the M9 to the M11. The larger screen and faster operation is a big plus, and so is the addition of 5Ghz WiFi. I've been downloading HiRes tracks from Qobuz for offline listening all morning.

I have two SanDisk cards mounted: a 256GB in Slot 1 and a 400GB in Slot 2 (the latter moved over from the M9). No issues at all with lag, scanning, etc. That second slot is going to come in really handy for offline files from Spotify and especially Qobuz.

My Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones are running very happily on LDAC. I had a bit of an issue installing the Sony headphone app; I got a message that Google Play is not supported (which never came up when I installed the same app on the M9). The solution was to say not to the prompt to use location during the initial setup; then everything was fine. Streaming HiRes tracks over WiFi while listening to BT LDAC is fine.

On my unit the 2.5mm jack is tight, and when I first plugged in my Shure 846s I didn't get any audio. A little more pressure than I am used to is required, but it worked fine. I switched to a 4.4 cable on the same IEMs and no problems.

Soundwise, I'm not going to pretend to be an audiophile expert. I like a lot of detail and a nice wide soundstage, and I get both of those (but I got similar from the M9). However, listening to "Kind of Blue" in 96/192 I do get noticeably more detail with the M11. I also feel like the signature is slightly warmer, but not at the expense of crispness.

Apr 20, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #707 of 9,288
I’m typing this on an iPhone 7, which is 3 years old this year and as fast as any smart device I’d conceivably need for at least another 3 years. The M11 is probably as fast if not faster, and doesn’t need to do half the stuff my phone can (even though it probably could). So I wouldn’t sweat it.
The counter argument to that is of course that when your iPhone 7 was new it ran the latest version of iOS and you’ve been able to upgrade the OS several times since then while with the M11 we’re starting off with an OS that is already two major versions behind.

But I agree that it will in all likelihood do fine for several years. But I also think that it may be worth trying to stay up to date on the important apps, especially when there is a new major version of Android about to drop.

Apr 20, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #708 of 9,288
The counter argument to that is of course that when your iPhone 7 was new it ran the latest version of iOS and you’ve been able to upgrade the OS several times since then while with the M11 we’re starting off with an OS that is already two major versions behind.

But I agree that it will in all likelihood do fine for several years. But I also think that it may be worth trying to stay up to date on the important apps, especially when there is a new major version of Android about to drop.
Hopefully by the time we hit end-of-line app compatibility because of Android redundancy, we'll be a few years down the line using apps that we're happy to use for a few years still. If I get 3-4 years of life out of the M11 I'll be delighted. Don't think I've ever had a phone that long.

Apr 20, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #711 of 9,288
You worry so much about being behind in android version while AK and most of the premium dap manufacturers are getting away with just limited apps to run on their daps while costing up to 5x more than the m11 when you know then can do better.

Apr 20, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #712 of 9,288
You worry so much about being behind in android version while AK and most of the premium dap manufacturers are getting away with just limited apps to run on their daps while costing up to 5x more than the m11 when you know then can do better.
That price tag sure adds a lot to the sound quality of those AK DAPs..

Apr 20, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #713 of 9,288
That price tag sure adds a lot to the sound quality of those AK DAPs..
AK should have better SQ that's a given but the hardware and apps are what I am bringing up here. Why complain when you can get double or triple or more of the apps you can run on AK.

Apr 21, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #714 of 9,288
AK should have better SQ that's a given but the hardware and apps are what I am bringing up here. Why complain when you can get double or triple or more of the apps you can run on AK.
Couldn’t agree more, we’re sitting around the fire talking trash about FiiO as if all modern daps have 128GB storage and Android 9. Most daps - even those costing 4 times as much as the M11 - don’t have anywhere near the features, speed or versatility of the M11. And I can promise you you’re not getting 2x or 3x the SQ for 2x or 3x the price jump. If I’ve learned anything in audio, you’re paying that much more for single digit improvements - if that - and more likely just different tuning.

Apr 21, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #715 of 9,288
Couldn’t agree more, we’re sitting around the fire talking trash about FiiO as if all modern daps have 128GB storage and Android 9. Most daps - even those costing 4 times as much as the M11 - don’t have anywhere near the features, speed or versatility of the M11. And I can promise you you’re not getting 2x or 3x the SQ for 2x or 3x the price jump. If I’ve learned anything in audio, you’re paying that much more for single digit improvements - if that - and more likely just different tuning.
On another note, I also saw a recent video of the new cayin n6ii and thinking it's also not running the latest Android pie based on the "recent apps" interface display. Probably rocking android 7 or 8 at most. But I could be wrong.

Apr 21, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #716 of 9,288
M11 has android 7 or not ?

Apr 21, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #718 of 9,288
On another note, I also saw a recent video of the new cayin n6ii and thinking it's also not running the latest Android pie based on the "recent apps" interface display. Probably rocking android 7 or 8 at most. But I could be wrong.

Oreo 8.1.

Apr 21, 2019 at 6:19 AM Post #720 of 9,288
That is the problem with todays DAPs. They do not focus sound, but on Apps and bling bling looks.
That's a very general comment. I think FiiO's daps have superb sound, as do the Cayin daps I've heard. Certainly much better than the phones they're replacing as music players. That some daps are adding smartphone-like functionality is a good thing, as long as SQ isn't compromised. Let's face it, we're not going to get Class A amps and higher-end desktop-grade dacs for ~$500, not from FiiO or anyone else for that matter. You want that level in a portable device, you have plenty of options in the >$1,000 bracket.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back