[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
Jul 27, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #4,952 of 9,288
Here is a question I have bee pondering with for the last couple days, and could use some inputs / thoughts on:
I am looking for a transport for my DAC/Amp (Woo Audio WA11). Been considering the FiiO M11 (I got older FiiO DAPs, and am a fan of FiiO) or an Android phone, that with 400GB microSD card or something like a used Samsung Note 9 with built-in 512GB...
Now, I understand the M11 can double as a stand-alone DAP, but if using ONLY as transport - does it have ANY advantage over say the Note 9 ?
Price: would be relatively close (granted, new M11 + big microSD card vs. used Note 9 with no need for microSD card).
Flexibility: Note 9 runs newer (latest) Android, got access to ALL Google Play services (and app store)
UI/UX: Note 9 got bigger and better display obviously, and is faster (although I understand M11 is not lagging at all)
Sound: Since I plan to use USB-C output (i.e. digital) with both, I am bypassing DAC and built-in amp, so I would think it is a tie here.

Am I missing anything? Any advantages to M11 over the Note 9 when used as transport only?
I do NOT need the 2nd microSD slot (since the Note 9 already got 512GB onboard plus 1 microSD slot).

Thanks for any thoughts / feedback!
If you aren't going to use the m11 dac or amp then I do not see the reason to buy it. Get one of LGs phones that have quad dac, other smartphones can't compare to their dac.

Jul 27, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #4,953 of 9,288
Jul 27, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #4,954 of 9,288
If you aren't going to use the m11 dac or amp then I do not see the reason to buy it. Get one of LGs phones that have quad dac, other smartphones can't compare to their dac.
But if I am not going to use the phone's DAC (or amp) - why do I need one with 4 DACs?! :wink:
The reasons I am seriously looking at the Note 9 (for transport) are:
* Fast processor and snappy UI
* Large gorgeous display
* Large 512GB built-in storage + microSD slot
* Latest Android OS
* Google Play app store support

Jul 27, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #4,956 of 9,288
But if I am not going to use the phone's DAC (or amp) - why do I need one with 4 DACs?! :wink:
* Large gorgeous display
* Latest Android OS
If budget is not something important then the note 9 is pretty good, although note 10 is around the corner. Huawei p30 pro is also another recommendation since it has the best smartphone camera. But if budget is important then check out some xiaomi or even oneplus phones

Jul 27, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #4,959 of 9,288
* Large gorgeous display
* Latest Android OS

If budget is not something important then the note 9 is pretty good, although note 10 is around the corner. Huawei p30 pro is also another recommendation since it has the best smartphone camera. But if budget is important then check out some xiaomi or even oneplus phones

My bad - I was not clear in my original post... :)
I am NOT going to put a SIM card in. Will never use the camera, either. This will be used as a transport only.

Jul 27, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #4,961 of 9,288
Am I ever going to get to p[properly use this within the 14 day return period lol ?

I am scanning again after resetting the database due to miscounts between apps ( I'm a little OCD )
The FiiO music app either :
1. Tops out at 5000 tracks when there are clearly more
2. Crashes and says it needs to close
3. Miscounts again

I have done another factory reset after initializing the FiiO database and scanning on the Music folders individually on each card to see if that helps

I'm not giving up as I have glimpsed what this can sound like late last night and I was mightily impressed.

Jul 27, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #4,962 of 9,288
Am I ever going to get to p[properly use this within the 14 day return period lol ?

I am scanning again after resetting the database due to miscounts between apps ( I'm a little OCD )
The FiiO music app either :
1. Tops out at 5000 tracks when there are clearly more
2. Crashes and says it needs to close
3. Miscounts again

I have done another factory reset after initializing the FiiO database and scanning on the Music folders individually on each card to see if that helps

I'm not giving up as I have glimpsed what this can sound like late last night and I was mightily impressed.
Just scanned them by each SD card. Rather doing a complete scan of everything.

Jul 27, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #4,964 of 9,288
Just been over on CanJam London impressions thread and saw this on the M11 Pro.

'Just got home from the show. Had a listen to the M11 Pro. Suffice to say my jaw dropped! Ridiculously clean output. Lovely Fiio guy told me October release!'

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/canjam-london-2019-impressions-thread.911785/#post-15086505

Thx @TooPoorForHiFi
Had an M11 listening experience? If so, how does the M11 sound differ from the M11 Pro? What headphones did you listen with?

Jul 27, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #4,965 of 9,288

Users who are viewing this thread

Back