[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
Jun 15, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #3,016 of 9,288
OK, I think it's because most newer versions of the apps require Google Play. Where is everyone getting their apps? I downloaded Netflix from APK Pure and it still tells me it's incompatible with my device when I try to open it.
Apkpure... but I got it a month or so ago, maybe there’s a newer incompatible version. Can’t say for sure. Otherwise try Aurora Store and Amazon Store.

Edit: I have Netflix version 4.16.4 if that helps?

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #3,017 of 9,288
Is there any way to shuffle by albums?

Another question - is there a way to set up smart playlists? (ie 'tracks that haven't been played yet' etc).

If not, it would be great to include in future iterations of the fiio playback software!

Jun 15, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #3,018 of 9,288
OK, I think it's because most newer versions of the apps require Google Play. Where is everyone getting their apps? I downloaded Netflix from APK Pure and it still tells me it's incompatible with my device when I try to open it.
Some apps can be installed via the FiiO market on the M11 where you can also download APK Pure, which is where I have been getting my apps from. Mind you, I am totally new to running apps like this and have started using them specifically for the M11. Sometimes I have that I get a notice telling me that I can't use an app (eg. SoundCloud) without the Play Store, but when I ignore the message it works just fine.

Had a good laugh today with my wife who was curious if I could play Solitaire on the M11, which did work, and so she said that if I did not like the M11 (I do like it) I could still call it an expensive Solitaire player. :sweat_smile: Great fun to have a player that is so versatile and has great sound and tons of power. Really been enjoying it!

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 4:21 AM Post #3,019 of 9,288
It's not malware. I've used the M11 for all of 2 hours, and all I did was install 4 apps on it (Netflix, Bandcamp, Hulu, and Amazon Video). I also installed Media Monkey, but it doesn't work because it requires Google Play.

Just to be sure, I did a factory reset, re-installed APK Pure, and reinstalled Netflix, and I still get the "App not compatible" message. It directs me to Netflix's website, which directs me to Google Play, which is obviously useless.

So if you have Netflix installed, don't uninstall it, lest you want it to stop working. And if you are thinking of an M11 for streaming video, don't bother. I haven't tried youtube, but I can't get Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon to work.

Honestly, I think I'm just going to return the M11. I've had it 48 hours and absolutely nothing I've tried doing with it has worked. You can play an album, but a $50 mp3 player can do that. I swore after buying the x5iii that I would never buy another Fiio product, but I stupidly got sucked into the hype. I still can't figure out playlists, and Fiio is zero help because they can't write instructions if their lives depended on it.

How can you release an android device in 2019 with no Google Play support? The M11 is essentially a $500 android that doesn't work as an android, because most apps require Google Play. Fiio should have just made it a pure music player.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 4:36 AM Post #3,020 of 9,288
It's not malware. I've used the M11 for all of 2 hours, and all I did was install 4 apps on it (Netflix, Bandcamp, Hulu, and Amazon Video). I also installed Media Monkey, but it doesn't work because it requires Google Play.

Just to be sure, I did a factory reset, re-installed APK Pure, and reinstalled Netflix, and I still get the "App not compatible" message. It directs me to Netflix's website, which directs me to Google Play, which is obviously useless.

So if you have Netflix installed, don't uninstall it, lest you want it to stop working. And if you are thinking of an M11 for streaming video, don't bother. I haven't tried youtube, but I can't get Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon to work.

Honestly, I think I'm just going to return the M11. I've had it 48 hours and absolutely nothing I've tried doing with it has worked. You can play an album, but a $50 mp3 player can do that. I swore after buying the x5iii that I would never buy another Fiio product, but I stupidly got sucked into the hype. I still can't figure out playlists, and Fiio is zero help because they can't write instructions if their lives depended on it.

How can you release an android device in 2019 with no Google Play support? The M11 is essentially a $500 android that doesn't work as an android, because most apps require Google Play. Fiio should have just made it a pure music player.
Ok so let’s get this straight:

1. You bought a $450 device having done no research on it? (Otherwise you would have known it has no Google Play, made clear from day one).

2. Your major gripe is that it doesn’t play Hulu, Amazon Prime or Netflix, which are secondary functions at best, and would not have been optimized for this device?

Look around, can you see another ‘music player’ that gives you the above ‘features’ for anywhere near the same price? And that can compete with the M11 for sound quality and specs?

Jun 15, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #3,021 of 9,288

You obviously bought the wrong product - You need an iPod Touch for your requirements, An Official Dap, and good streamer too....Below is the link....

https://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 5:01 AM Post #3,022 of 9,288

I can understand your frustration. I think it will get better over time through firmware updates and possibly Google allowing easier Play Store support, but it is certainly early days yet. I am not sure though how many alternatives there are when it comes to the Android platform in a DAP and how those work by comparison. I previously reviewed Shanling's M2X where they opted for a proprietary OS that severely limited what app support they could offer natively. FiiO have taken a more progressive approach that invariably comes with its downsides, but I do think that it is a good move with a lot of potential.

Personally I think that as a pure music player the M11 works very well and all the things that the open Android platform brings is just extra. Purely based on specs, the M11 is really interesting with a lot of versatility and power (it can even drive full-size headphones). So you could also choose to hang on to the M11 simply as a pure music player and see how things develop over time.

Jun 15, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #3,023 of 9,288
I can understand your frustration. I think it will get better over time through firmware updates and possibly Google allowing easier Play Store support, but it is certainly early days yet. I am not sure though how many alternatives there are when it comes to the Android platform in a DAP and how those work by comparison. I previously reviewed Shanling's M2X where they opted for a proprietary OS that severely limited what app support they could offer natively. FiiO have taken a more progressive approach that invariably comes with its downsides, but I do think that it is a good move with a lot of potential.

Personally I think that as a pure music player the M11 works very well and all the things that the open Android platform brings is just extra. Purely based on specs, the M11 is really interesting with a lot of versatility and power (it can even drive full-size headphones). So you could also choose to hang on to the M11 simply as a pure music player and see how things develop over time.

From the little research I did a year or so ago, I think the main alternatives are hiby r6 (and pro) and ibasso dx150 with Lurker mod and the now ageing fiio x5III. R6 has the well documented high impedence issue. All the others are android based but no direct link with the google play store if that is important.

Jun 15, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #3,024 of 9,288

??? Just installed Netflix after reading your post. Works just fine as long as you follow the instruction when it redirects you to the netflix website help center.

Jun 15, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #3,025 of 9,288

Streaming works fine for me, I mean a dap like this is still all about the sound. I mean you have a smartphone right? That would be better suited for just playing Netflix, YouTube etc. And I'm with gler, a couple minutes of reading before purchasing and you would have known Google play wasn't supported.

The 'hype' has been about the amazing sound for the price and smooth fast UI (fir a dap) not about playing video (which works fine for me) or being an android device. You've bitched before about the Google play thing- what kind of an android thing doesn't support Google play- the kind of android thing where the samsung chip isn't supported past android 7 and Google won't give support for android 7.

It will eventually be rooted, and then it will have Google play eventually but you seem to have utter disdain for fiio products so I say sell it. I was no fan of the x5iii myself, but I did enjoy the x3 and x3ii immensely. The m11 in my book is the best dap in it's price range by a long shot, with or without play services.

For me it easily lives up to the 'hype' but then again I knew it didn't support Google framework from the get go. There is quite a few posts on this already and the reasons why and it's on the product page itself.

Screenshot_20190615-093551_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #3,026 of 9,288

FYI, I just now downloaded and installed Amazon prime video from APK Pure website via chrome and it worked just fine. Not sure what to tell you other than factory reset and try again.

Jun 15, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #3,028 of 9,288

Total troll job guys move along.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #3,029 of 9,288
I don't use playlists but to answer another question I read earlier, yes a playlist can span files from two SD cards, and shuffle between them as well. Not sure if you can add whole albums or folders to a playlist - can't see any options to do so, but that could just be my non-existent experience with playlists at play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back