[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
May 29, 2019 at 12:22 AM Post #1,636 of 9,288
Good luck, hope you solve the issue!

I figured it out, after doing stuff as crazy as going to an EMI isolation room (RF/WiFi testing), and it's /facepalm I didn't see the common factor. I run everything balanced. On a whim, I used a 2.5mm to a 3.mm. The hiss dropped very very low - to the point I had to max volume to hear it. Back to balanced, and bam! I can hear it again. To be clear, it's not "hiss" in the purely pedantic definition, but "noise". Slight pop when DSDs start.

With Poweramp beta, I got the pop when it was scanning and I kicked off playback. Less prevalent once done scanning - only with DSDs, not with AACs from iTMS.

Edit: Do you with the unit hear the slight pop/crackle when music starts? It sounds exactly like my Android phone with UAPP/Poweramp. It's not evident on my Sony Walkman.

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #1,637 of 9,288
I figured it out, after doing stuff as crazy as going to an EMI isolation room (RF/WiFi testing), and it's /facepalm I didn't see the common factor. I run everything balanced. On a whim, I used a 2.5mm to a 3.mm. The hiss dropped very very low - to the point I had to max volume to hear it. Back to balanced, and bam! I can hear it again. To be clear, it's not "hiss" in the purely pedantic definition, but "noise". Slight pop when DSDs start.

With Poweramp beta, I got the pop when it was scanning and I kicked off playback. Less prevalent once done scanning - only with DSDs, not with AACs from iTMS.

Edit: Do you with the unit hear the slight pop/crackle when music starts? It sounds exactly like my Android phone with UAPP/Poweramp. It's not evident on my Sony Walkman.

No pop or crackle ever, balanced or single. I'm using the Fiio music app.

May 29, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #1,640 of 9,288
Amazon M11 order placed, estimated delivery date is June 4th. I got $100 off by signing up for the amazon credit card (which I have been meaning to do for as long as i can remember now), overall it cost me $355 after overnight shipping. Super excited to receive it and give it a go. :)

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #1,641 of 9,288
Hi, I'm testing my wife's FiiO M11 and I remarked that it does not play all songs properly.
I actually remarked them on 2 albums, Miles Davis, Kind of Blue, 96 flac-album when it plays I do not hear any sound.

Bruce Levingston, Glass: Dreaming Awake, 192 flac, plays but the sound is not as usual, is like I would hear them underwater.

Any info, help?

Thanks Tony
Feel free to Dropbox me these two files and I’ll test them on my M11 and desktop rig as well.

May 29, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #1,642 of 9,288
I like the FH5 but prefer a longer throw on the nozzle - and I want the FH7 which has a longer nozzle and a beryllium driver.
The FH7 nozzle is only 1mm or so longer than the FH5, with the same shell shape, so you’re not going to get much of a deeper throw with it. Also early reports suggest the FH7 is tuned with LESS bass than the FH5, so if it’s bass quantity you’re after, you’re likely not going to get that with the FH7.

I can hear the hiss and a noticeable and very audible drop once the sound system quiesces.
Sorry I don’t buy that. One of the standout features of the M11 for me was its pitch black noise floor, tested with three IEMs and two headphones. There must be something g else going in with your setup, or you may have a defect with your unit. I’d have it checked out.

May 29, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #1,643 of 9,288
May 29, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #1,644 of 9,288
The FH7 nozzle is only 1mm or so longer than the FH5, with the same shell shape, so you’re not going to get much of a deeper throw with it. Also early reports suggest the FH7 is tuned with LESS bass than the FH5, so if it’s bass quantity you’re after, you’re likely not going to get that with the FH7.

Sorry I don’t buy that. One of the standout features of the M11 for me was its pitch black noise floor, tested with three IEMs and two headphones. There must be something g else going in with your setup, or you may have a defect with your unit. I’d have it checked out.

In fact, we have change the shape of FH7 so it is not exactly the same as FH5.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 29, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #1,645 of 9,288
@gLer - that's what I was hoping. Mind if I drop you a test file? I'm leaning toward issue now - again, can hear the sound system start up with the white noise or pop, and can hear it during quiet passages or if I pause the player. After a few seconds, the sound stops as audio system quiesces, then pop again as the player restarts. I reset the device, and now despite picking English, folder music location is in Chinese. Just that part of the interface.

@misteral201103 I'd think those be sensitive and pick up what I hear on your set. Darn it!

May 29, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #1,646 of 9,288
I'm pretty happy with my ZX300 I got exactly 2 months ago, but a small part of me still wonders if I would've enjoyed the M11 more lol. Perhaps in a few years I could upgrade to a FiiO DAP that's even more amazing than the M11 we currently have :thinking:
There will always be better. I think the M11 sets a new benchmark for what’s possible at this price point and is going to make other manufacturers seriously question their value proposition. Many new daps will now be compared to the M11 in what they offer. It will take ALOT better to get me to upgrade the M11, given that with the M11 I’m no longer looking at what A&K and Cayin and iBasso are doing because none of those are the least bit compelling at the prices they’re asking.

May 29, 2019 at 3:45 AM Post #1,647 of 9,288
People cannot say a $1000 DAP is comparable to a $2000 DAP and be fine even support that but suggest it is illogical to compare with a cheaper DAP. It's Hypocrisy, marketing and blatant double standard.
I have a video coming talking about this bizarre math. You believe that or you don't. You cannot just pull that out when it supports your narrative.
Looking forward - that video should be fun to watch with popcorn! :p

May 29, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #1,648 of 9,288
@gLer - that's what I was hoping. Mind if I drop you a test file? I'm leaning toward issue now - again, can hear the sound system start up with the white noise or pop, and can hear it during quiet passages or if I pause the player. After a few seconds, the sound stops as audio system quiesces, then pop again as the player restarts. I reset the device, and now despite picking English, folder music location is in Chinese. Just that part of the interface.
Please PM me your file/s via Dropbox and I’ll test them with pleasure. If by ‘noise’ you mean the pop at the start of a DSD track and between DSD and PCM files, I’m afraid that’s a common issue with some dacs and not limited to the M11. Audio-gd dacs are plagued by this as well, as is ifi (the well-reviewed ifi Micro iDSD BL blanks out the first second of some tracks to mitigate this issue, which sounds terrible with gapless albums). This is very different to noise floor or hiss with no audio playing or during soft sections of playing tracks. Send me the files and we can go from there...

May 29, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #1,649 of 9,288
There will always be better. I think the M11 sets a new benchmark for what’s possible at this price point and is going to make other manufacturers seriously question their value proposition. Many new daps will now be compared to the M11 in what they offer. It will take ALOT better to get me to upgrade the M11, given that with the M11 I’m no longer looking at what A&K and Cayin and iBasso are doing because none of those are the least bit compelling at the prices they’re asking.
Absolutely agree, I think M11 is going to rewrite how X5 3 changed the game altogether when it was released. I don't think any other DAP had that level of an impact.

May 29, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #1,650 of 9,288
Absolutely agree, I think M11 is going to rewrite how X5 3 changed the game altogether when it was released. I don't think any other DAP had that level of an impact.
I think the difference is there was a notable gap between the X5iii and the high end daps even back when it was released. Now the gap between the M11 and even the $2000+ daps is much smaller, to the point that (for me anyway) there’s no value in upgrading, especially since I use a dap as my secondary listening device after my desktop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back