Specifications: Driver Type: Planar Magnetic Impedance @ 1kHz: 35 ohms Sensitivity: 94 dB...

HiFiMAN HE-400i

Weight: 12.7 oz.
    Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year

Recent Reviews

1. SOULSIK
    These or the Sennheiser HD650s?
    Written by SOULSIK
    Published May 13, 2017
    Pros - clarity. low and high freq extension
    Cons - cable is too short and right angled jack not ideal for desktop use
    ALL REVIEWS ARE CREATED BY SOULSIKREVIEWS.COM

VIDEO REVIEW:

Hifiman He400i on the wall mounted headstand

INTRODUCTION

Headphones are made of different types of drivers. Normally, it is made of dynamic drivers. If you pick up a random headphone from your nearby Best Buy, it’s probably going to be a dynamic driver headphone. Some headphones use different drivers to produce sound. This is mainly to produce a different or unique or better sound signature. The headphone we will be going over today is the Hifiman He-400i, a famous planar magnetic headphone, arguably one of the best headphones under $500. Planar magnetic headphones usually have larger thin drivers with more magnets on either side of the drivers. You can find more explanation of the difference between drivers online and we might provide you with one in the future but for now, the planar magnetic drivers are commonly found in audiophile headphones with companies like Hifiman and Audeze designing and selling them.

ABOUT HIFIMAN

HiFiMAN Electronics is a designer and manufacturer of audio products including headphones, amplifiers, and portable audio players. Hifiman is known for its high-end audio products made under the brand Mee Audio. Its most popular products include the HE-400 which are full sized open back headphones and the RE-400 which is an IEM (In Ear Monitor). Both products are supposedly critically acclaimed for their sound quality

DISCLAIMER

This review unit was provided by audio excellence (an audio store in Canada) with the permission of Hifiman distributor. As usual, my reviews will be honest and contain no bias.

SPECS

Frequency Response: 20 Hz – 35 KHz

Sensitivity: 93dB

Impedance: 35 Ohms

Weight: 370g

Cable length: 1.5m

Plug: 3.5mm/6.35mm

THE BUILD QUALITY

Headphone: most of it is made of high quality plastic with thin metal suspension. The headphone seems durable and comes with a case that seems incredibly premium. The headphone adjustment is made with a up/down clicking mechanism which feels nice and easier to adjust because you can physically see or feel how much you are adjusting for both left & right. This was a problem in the HD6xx/HD650, where there were no ticks/levels to know if you were adjusting the headphones evenly for both sides. The mesh on the side of the headphones are very beautiful and the drivers can be seen with the right lighting, of course, this open-looking mesh means, this headphone is very open back, both in terms of sound and leakage.

HIFIMAN He400i rear view
    HIFIMAN He400i mesh
    Pads: the stock pads are the Focus pads, with the velour on the inner part and pleather for the rest of the pads. This hybrid pad feels very nice and is extremely comfortable but gets a bit hot with extended wearing durations. It is also glued on, so you would need to make some serious modifications to change the pads. Some suggestions out there are the alpha pads, but this was not tested by me. For me, the stock pads were just fine.

[​IMG]
    HIFIMAN He400i Focus Pads. Velour side can be seen from this angle.
    Cables: Fabricated and looks like a pretty decent stock cable but is only 1.5m long, which is very short for a desktop/home use. It also terminates in right angled jack, which makes plugging into your amps rather inconvenient. The connectors are 2.5mm connectors that is differentiated “left” & “right.” Clicks in nicely and it is firm enough that it won’t yank out.

[​IMG]
    Case: hands down, it comes in the most premium packaging in the world.

SOUND QUALITY

These headphones are highly efficient and can be even driven with a phone.

Low Freq: The bass in the He-400i is well extended. By that I mean, there is some sub-base. It is comparable to the sub-base I get when I use my HD6xx with the Dark voice 336 se tube amp, which is already around $800 dollars in value. The overall bass is intimate, tight and punchy. It is rather an accurate representation of bass but at the same time, very pleasant, in my opinion. The bass does not blead into the mid frequencies as much as in other headphones, for example; in the tracks, Smooth Jazz Tribute to Sam Smith, the bass came in nicely without taking anything away from the beautiful mid frequency presentations.

Mid Freq: This is a warm-ish headphone and I say that because this headphone sounds quite like my HD6xx from the low to low-mid frequencies and then it starts to differentiate itself from the high-mid to high frequencies. The Vocals are very clear and everything exists within the boundary of “mids” but there is no emphasis in any specific areas. Everything from vocals to instruments retain that smoothness through this frequency. For example; while listening to the Small Bump by Ed Sheeran, the bass was almost euphoric while the guitars and vocals retained its beautiful harmony

High Freq: this is where the real fun begins for this headphone. The highs are rather rolled off in the HD6xx/H650 or HD600s but here, the highs are clear and much more evident. It is much more natural and lively-sounding. Now, you might associate lively-sounding to bright or even sibilant headphones, so let me make it clear, “He400i is just right, it is not sibilant.” Now, of course if you are coming from a more dark-sounding headphone or if you are all about that “warmth” then, you may FEEL like it is sibilant at first, but that is just your ears getting adjusted to all the details in the highs that you have not heard before. Some instruments are meant to sound this way, to make the overall track livelier, but some headphones take this away because not many people enjoy all the details in the highs and it is a very hard to get that perfect roll off to make it “just detailed enough but not sibilant.” But as you move up away from the Mid-fi area, you are seeking for more “detail and clarity,” therefore high end audiophile headphones are commonly criticized for being sibilant. It seems like He400i has achieved that “just right” feeling for some people. It may be still sibilant depending on your preference or previous gear but at least for me and those I have talked to during this review, this headphone seems to do just that, “perfect.”

Soundstage: the soundstage is most intimate than the HD600 or the HD6xx/HD650, but this makes the bass much more apparent. This would be a preference thing but I enjoy soundstage and this was a downside for me

Imaging: very accurate for a sub 500-dollar headphone, I would say it competes with the HD600/650s if not just a tad bit better. For example; in my symphony tracks, I could tell which instruments were coming from which positions but it was not a wide accuracy but more an intimate one.

HD600/H650 vs HE400i: Straight off the bat, there is no clear winner, it will ultimately be your preference that determine which headphone is right for you. The HD600 is commonly compared to the HE400i. Some reviewers say that the He400i is as neutral as the HD600, which I do not agree with because if anything, the He400i is more closely related to the HD650s in that it has that bass. Of course, both do not have a lot of bass but they have more than neutral headphones like the HD600s. He400i sounds livelier than both HD600 and HD650 but vocals come in much more euphorically in the HD650s because it is much more present due to the rolled off highs. Some may rather prefer the more natural sounding vocals and instrumentation in the He400i.

He400i + phone: at max volume, the He400i is at a reasonable listening level. Everything sounds great but at the same time, sound a bit lean and messy/veiled in busy tracks.

He400i + Schiit stack: sounded just right, I can see many people using this combo as it adds more warmth and clarity. Modi 2’s clarity may be overwhelming for some people and can be even called sibilant in some tracks but again, this depends on your preference and which gear you are coming from.

He400i + Oppo ha 2 se: This was by favorite combo. Sounded phenomenal, even took it out for a drive in my car and although it may not have been the best idea, I have no regrets. The bass boost in the Oppo ha 2 se with the He400i is just mouthwatering. The mids became more emphasized with the highs retaining that clarity and detail.

He400i + Darvoice 336se: I’ve noticed some higher than normal noise floor, probably due to the He400i being low impedance headphones but this combo adds more bass and vocal emphasis. Overall, I would say it makes the He400i slightly warmer without losing any detail in the highs.

He400i + Jotenheim: Rather an overkill, since these headphones are highly efficient. But a powerful amp and a good dac adds more body to the sound making everything more full and detailed. With this specific combo, it felt like everything the He400i could accomplish was accomplished. The instruments and vocals sounded much more detailed compared to the He400i + phone combo. The bass also seemed to extend more and punch more confidently.

Overall Thoughts

The He400i is a great headphone to start with if you are looking for a great headphone. If you are looking for great headphone within this price range, it is either the HD600s, 650s, or these. It all comes down to what is important for you. Do you prefer more bass & lively/detailed headphones? Then, the He400i could be for you.
  2. Jiawen Zhen
    Unbeatable for the price
    Written by Jiawen Zhen
    Published Feb 27, 2017
    Pros - Sound Quality, comfort, packaging, price
    Cons - Clamping force
    At 240 dollars new (price I paid) there is not a single headphone in the world with better price/performance ratio. Each song is a new listening experience and these sound far superior to any other cans or speakers I have ever heard. I am currently using a C&C BH amp Colorfly C3 combo. Sound is very addicting with very pleasant musicality with great tonal balance. Clamping force was high on initial use but they fit much more comfortably after a few days of use. I would gladly pay 400 even 500 for these headphones.
      Happydog likes this.
    1. gobin
      Where did you get the he-400i for $240 though?
      gobin, Feb 27, 2017
    2. Jesse Oh
      Jesse Oh, Feb 28, 2017
  3. DeeKay10
    Detailed and Revealing but Lacks Musicality
    Written by DeeKay10
    Published Jan 14, 2017
    Pros - Detailed, comfy ear pads.
    Cons - Not musical as detailed, vicious clamp (fixable), treble characteristics of cheap headphones.
    I'll keep this relatively short as the HE400i has over 20 reviews here, some of which are very detailed and some that contradict others. This is just my 5 cents on the matter.

I think @jerg summarized it perfectly in his review, that these are a "compromise between musicality and technicality". On one hand, they are detailed and accurate, have great separation and for acoustic music, there's good layering. On the other, listening through them simply isn't immersive enough, as if they are too detailed, soul left outside the box. It's kinda hard to explain in words, but if you ever get the chance to listen to a pair of Shure SE535 (*) or something with a similar audio profile, you'll understand what I'm talking about. Imagine the audio equivalence of drinking just enough to feel the effect.
    (*) My listening (and evaluation) mule for the past 5-6 years.

Other than musicality, my second and final con on audio with these, is the treble. It's too extended, causing things like cymbals to sound too distant from the rest of the record (think one floor above). Some call it separation, I call it "the thing that's wrong with half the cheap headphones I listen to", except the HE400i ain't cheap. A lot of companies seem to do that as it adds sparkle and detail (I guess?), but personally, I'm not a fan.

Unto actual usage, these are pretty easy to drive from anything. Smartphones, Fiio amps, 1st gen Schiit Fulla, no problem.
    On comfort, the pads and headband are very nice and comfortable, but the grip is very tight. I've been looking around for a solution on Google without avail, till I got tired (and pissed) and took the "manual" approach: Bent them myself at 5 points across the upper steel gate, now it's just fine (the 2 L bends, middle, and half-way through to the middle).
    I read about these having some issues with the cable and Hifiman mentioned on their website about swapping them. For what it's worth, I got the new cable, and no complains. It's thick and conductive, really all I have to say. The 6.5mm adapter is crap though, had connection issues so I threw it to the bin (having another 5 laying around).

Lastly, Hifiman states in the manual that "to obtain optimal performance", these should be burned in for "at least 150 hours", constantly. Subjectivity aside, this is, by far, the dumbest remark I've seen on any headphone, from any manufacturer. Just think about the prospect of, well, buying a pair of $500 headphones, eagerly anticipating them, finally getting the package and then, "welp, here they are, let's just put them there playing and wait another week". By now I imagine I passed the 150 hour mark, and frankly? I don't remember how they sounded a week ago in comparison, to be bothered with. If it wasn't important enough to burn them during production, this can't be too meaningful at the customer's hand.

To close the review, you might be wondering why the 5 star rating. Simple: Supposedly these retail for $450, but occasionally they will go as low as $250, and for that price, it's very impressive value.

Equipment used: Schiit Modi Multibit and Vali 2.
  4. PrinceWilliam
    HiFiMAN HE-400i vs DT880 250 Ohm Special Edition Chrome
    Written by PrinceWilliam
    Published Dec 13, 2016
    Pros - Comfortable and excellent sound quality
    Cons - Cheap build quality, replacement parts will be hard to find.
    I will keep this short.  I currently have both the HiFiMAN HE-400i and the Beyerdynamic DT880 250 Ohm non-pro version.  I read a lot of reviews with people bagging on the DT880 vs the 400i, so when I got the DT880 I figured that I would be sending them back and keeping the 400i.  I had been listening to the 400i first, and I really liked them.  I love the focus pads and the sound is really good.  I got them on sale, so they were a great deal.  As a matter of fact, I did not even plan on opening the DT880.  However, I decided to give the DT880 a shot.

Well, after listening to both the 400i and the DT880, I am returning the 400i.  I used my on-board sound card to power these.  I listened to Deadmau5, Nora Jones, Metallica Enter Sandman, Steppenwolf.  I did a side by side comparison switching back and forth adjusting volume levels, and honestly the DT880s just sounded clearer to me.  The bass on the DT880 hits harder, the trebles and mids were clearer.

I was shocked by what I found after reading all these reviews.  I don't know if people are making some of this stuff up, or what, but after owning both and doing a side-by-side comparison to me the DT880 seemed better, at least for my taste.  They are also lighter than the 400i.  Don't get me wrong, I like the 400i, but compared to what I experienced switching back and forth between the two.... That being said, I would consider myself to be your typical listener.  I got the 400i for $249 and the DT880 for $149.  I am surprised, but I am sending the 400i back to HiFiMAN.  For me the DT880 is the winner.  I still think the HE-400i is a cool headphone.

Other headphones I have owned that are worth mentioning are the DT990 Pro and the ATH-M50X.
    2. PrinceWilliam
      I think our experiences are actually similar.  I did not use a Schiit Lyr in my testing, and I have heard that planar magnetic headphones perform better when they are amped.  However, I tested both headphones with a pretty good on-board sound card and a cheap FiiO A1 portable amp, neither of which had a problem powering either headphone.  On a side note, I could power the HE-400i with my cell phone, but the DT880 needed the portable amp

In your case, on the sound card it was a toss up, but to me the DT880 had a better response (non-eq'd), which I believe will be the most common configuration.  Although, if someone wants to buy a $400+ amp, then the HE-400i might be the better choice, but I have no experience with that configuration.  I still like the HE-400i, but I prefer the DT880 especially for the price.  Of course, if you have "Allthetoys," then I guess price is no object!  Which, may be why you have both?  Very nice.  There is no doubt the HE-400i look cool (they are huge!) and sound great!

I would like to know what Allthetoys thinks about the build quality because I like the fact that all of the DT880 parts are replaceable and that Beyerdynamic promotes that aspect of their product.

By the way, I swapped out the limited edition for the regular premium.  I find the pads to be softer, and I like the silver look better.
      PrinceWilliam, Jan 12, 2017
    3. Allthetoys
      My DT880s are the Manufaktur model and the build quality is superb. The HE-400i phones are not as well made. Thats not saying they are poorly made, just that the costs went to technology instead of build materials. It seems like HiFiman went for the best sound quality at a price point, whereas Beyerdynamic had a mature technology and manufacturing process and can use better materials and build design at the same or lower price point.

As for the username, yes I've been able capitalize on some opportunities over the years, so price isn't primary in my decision making, though I still try to maximize value. No matter what anyone says, price is always a factor. I also like to have all different types of high quality toys instead of only one of the best of something. 10 different headphones that are all really good and add up to $4000 gives me more enjoyment and variety than one pair of $4000 headphones.

Nice review by the way.
  5. audiophilehe400
    Great Headphone, Improved Comfort and Treble
    Written by audiophilehe400
    Published Sep 15, 2016
    Pros - Excellent treble and highs have been corrected. Magnificent comfort and weight improvement
    Cons - Bass lacks punch that the colored originals had.
    Would recommend if you are not a bass heavy person. This paired with the EF5 amplifier from Hifiman is almost majestic, music just flows extremely well. Soundstage also has improved from originals, which is extremely impressive, considering the originals being so great. Definitely recommend, have been disappointed by hifiman in anything.
  6. Vanheim
    The Hifiman he-400i from the point of view of someone who doesn't know what to expect:
    Written by Vanheim
    Published Jul 17, 2016
    3.5/5,
    Pros - Comfort, mids, bass, imaging, value for money.
    Cons - Build, siblance/harshness, needs warm sounding amp.
    Introduction: well, let me start off by saying that I don’t come from the wealthiest background.
    So, it shouldn’t come to a surprise that purchasing the hifiman even at $300 was a big move on my part and wasn’t an easy decision, but my love for audio made me detest using cheap audio products which didn’t honor music, instead spat on its face.

IMAG0749.jpg
    Da luuks and da build: I’ll say it, these look sexy. The chrome cups give for a very classy and sophisticated look IMO which helps it segregate itself as a higher class of headphones. The headband is not so ideal but you get used to them. Others really don’t. I wore these during a road trip and I stopped counting how many weird looks people were giving me. It was awkward to say the least. But tell you what? I didn’t care, (maybe I cared a little bit), but I wasn’t going to take them off my head.

~ IMAG0748.jpg
    But the sexy cups tend to be a fingerprint magnet, they don’t give me much confidence in terms of being scratch resistant. Take care of them will you? Try not to throw them around and be rough with them. The headband adjusters inflict scratches on the back of the metal structure. For the retail price of $499.99 this is unacceptable to me. Hifiman messed up big time in this part for me. The adjusters are very hard to adjust due to stiffness but ease up over time. The new 2.5 mm connectors look nice, I’d say they shouldn’t cause any problems.
    IMAG0743.jpg
    ~
    Da cumphorttt: Holy schiit! Why would you take these of your head? Even if no music is playing, I would rather keep them on my head while they hug my head with those soft pads. It’s not a headphone that I want to keep on my head just for its sound, but its comfort makes me want to keep them on even if there is no music on! I have listened to these for hours at a time and felt little to no discomfort. These don’t disappear completely but they don’t keep screaming “hey I’m on your head, does that bother you?”.
    IMAG0746.jpg

Da sundddd:
    First impressions when I received them were as follows,
    ***note: I am playing them out of an Objective2 amp with no external dac, only the crappy one from my HTC one m8 and my Lenovo notebook. So maybe that's the reason for my impressions.

Unimpressed. I simply didn't see what the fuss was all about. The treble siblant and strident.

The vocals were nice but there was no *magic* I wanted for 300 dollars.

The bass, oh my God, where is the bass? Is hifiman pranking me? Is this a joke? Are my headphones broken? The mid bass sounds horribly anemic, like someone beating on plastic with plastic.
    Unacceptable for it's price tag. Where is the liquid planner bass I was promised? There is no sign of sub bass. It's just missing. On "secrets" by tiesto and kshmr- this particularly showed.
     I tried eq from dobly atmos on my HTC one m8: on the "rich" setting with a bit more eq'ed sub bass. better. The treble calmed down, but not much. The mids still there and are nice but no orgasmic *magic*. They are just not forward enough for me. Mid bass less plastic feeling but still not good enough. Sub bass is helping the mid bass sound a bit more textured but it's still mostly missing and obscure. Hell I preferred the punchy textured bass on my $50 status audio hd one than the he-400i at this point.

But slowly they started to improve, (burn in? What? It really works?) the treble calmed down a lot. And the Objective2 seemed to help, (ampless directly from phone with eq didn't work well enough). The mids started to sound a lot more nice. Vocal layering was very impressive. The bass improved and wasn't as plastic crappy feeling anymore. But it didn't go deep at all. Impact was almost non existent. It wasn't "accurate" there was certainly information missing my $10 earbuds with eq can dig out that this couldn't.

On a jazz track it really shined. On "the look for love" by Stanley Turrentine - the instrument separation was impressive. The instrument's attack and decay is something I first realized on this headphone. The strings and drums sounded fantastic. They had life in them!
     On "better than anything" by Diana Krall and Natalie Cole - the vocal layering and separation was also quite impressive as I've never heard them on other cheaper audio gear.
     But at that time I thought that if they didn't improve drastically with a better dac (garbage in, garbage out and all that), and further burn in, I’d have to say that I really didn’t think they were even worth $300 let alone $500. But prices are really crazy in the audio world I’ll have to say. My perception of value for money might differ from yours but whatever.

IMAG0750.jpg
    Now these are my impressions after listening to them for around a month-

Bass: amazing sense of realism and the lightness of the slam helps clarity.  It can sound anemic depending on the song and the rig. There is a certain texture the bass presents that I’ve come to love. With the correct eq however it can reach higher levels of awesomeness! For bass heavy genres I use the eq to bump up the bass quite a bit and boy does it seriously hit hard! Most of that seductive texture is still retained but now it doesn’t just punch weakly, now it attacks you with authority! Yes, in a pleasurable way! On The Eagle’s Hotel California the kick drums with eq are very authoritative and make for a very addicting listen.

Mids: Oh. Thissss. This is amazing. The mids have a sweetness to them that is hard to describe, its unlike anything I’ve ever heard. The instruments are presented in a way that is just a joy to listen to! On Porcupine Tree’s song- My Ashes, the guitar sounds incredible and the imaging is very good. The vocals carried that sense of dark atmosphere which just stood out so much to me! And not surprisingly Steven Wilson’s songs are great on these. The Vocals and the instruments never sound congested, rather they flow. Green day is also amazing here. The guitar riffs have a sense of authority to them. On Diana Krall’s Let’s Fall in Love, her voice sounds intoxicating to say the least. I’m blown away each time I hear that song. Bjork and Carpenters also sound amazing! Blowing me away each time I put their songs on.

Treble: One cannot be perfect from every angle. Somewhere there has to be a problem. In this case for me It’s the treble. Don’t get me wrong, it is very extended and isn’t veiled or dull in any way. Rather it’s insanely lively and clear. But that clarity can get a bit displeasure-able at times. There’s peaks in around 4k and 7-9k that I can only describe as party poopers. They almost ruined the headphones for me! They made the vocals sound shrill and harsh as well as the cymbals and high-hats. Listening to Fetty Wap’s Trap Queen without eq ,the cymbals/high-hats are ear piercing and make for a very very bad experience. On Eminem’s Must be the Ganja, it’s torture. Everything sounds sibilant to a certain degree. But I was persistent, after weeks of trial and error I finally came up with a eq setting for me, which killed all the sibilance. Now this headphone for me had become worth $300 and even more. Everything sounded smoother.

Soundstage/separation/imaging: wow, coming from super low-fi gear this was amazing to me. The attack and decay, the transience, the flow of everything was spectacular! The clear identity of each instrument and their ability to stand out individually without seeming to be mashed into a crowd was something I hadn’t experienced before until I heard the Hifiman he-400i. While the soundstage isn’t HUGEEE it has its charm for me. The soundstage over all seems to expand more on some songs than others. Vocal layering is also very nice as I had stated above in my first impressions.
    Amping: This needs and I mean NEEDS a warm sounding amp to sound like what people praise these so much for! I had to learn that the hard way. I didn’t have the budget at the time to get a rig for it so I was stuck with an Objective2 double amping out of my phone or laptop and using the onboard crappy dacs they come with.
    So if you’re thinking of getting these for portable use with a phone, like I was, you can say bye-bye to that. (unless of course you have a warm sounding amp/dac in your phone e.g the nexus 6p?).
    IMAG0751.jpg
    Conclusion: Over all I wanted to experience what good audio sounded like and hifiman he-400i gave me a bit more to bite than I could chew. It’s overwhelming treble extension is definitely something I could live without! It’s sibilance and harsh/shrill attitude is something that ended up making me decide that this wasn’t really the right headphone for me.

P.S- here’s the eq that I was using for them:

47.jpg

And for when I wanted BASSSS~

0.jpg

Please do let me know what you think of my review (as it's my first), where I messed up and where I can improve on in the future.
      musedesign and trellus like this.
    2. DavidA
      Nice honest review from your point of view with the gear you have.
      DavidA, Jul 18, 2016
    3. Vanheim
      Thanks for all the compliments. I should indeed invest in better source and amp. But for now, I think I'm going to get the ZMF cherry Omni, sell off the hifimans then slowly but surely invest in a better system.
      I bought the ZMF Omni cherry from the B-stock sale at ZMF.
      Vanheim, Jul 18, 2016
    4. musedesign
      I agree with your review, I am returning my 400i. The treble is just too shrill. Thank you for the honest review.
      musedesign, Apr 18, 2017
  7. DivineCurrent
    One of the best all around headphones
    Written by DivineCurrent
    Published May 15, 2016
    Pros - Amazing extended bass, clear clean sound, detailed, not fatiguing
    Cons - weird cable for a headphone this price, might not fit on larger heads
    I am coming from limited headphone experience compared to most on Head-Fi, however I've had my fair share of listening to headphones over the years. I have listened to the following open back headphones: Senn HD-650, HD-580, AKG K712, AKG K240, Beyerdynamic DT 880, and Beyerdynamic T1. Out of all of these, I have to say I prefer the HE-400i over even the HD 650s, which were my favorite for nearly the 2 years I have had them so far. While I love the laid back sound of the Sennheisers, I could not really experience many of the "hidden" things in recordings and other details. The HE-400i's have a way of making instruments sound super realistic, and in my opinion they are amazing at instrumental and classical music. In some pop songs, this extra detail means slightly heightened treble because of compression and mixing for those rock and pop genres, however it is not so much that things become sibilant. Comparing to the Beyer T1, these have not nearly as bright treble, and I much prefer these over the T1s.

Bass extension is AMAZING on these. Sure I haven't listened to the other Hifimans or Audeze planars, but I have never experienced planar headphones before the 400is. Compared to everything I've heard, these win in bass extension hands down. They have the perfect amount of bass for me, I would call ever so slightly more than neutral, which I like. I just love the detail and the way they make things sound. The mids are great, but I do prefer the HD 650 mids over these. They are very close to the 650 mids, a little less smooth however.

I have 2 minor complaints for the HE-400i: the cable, and the fit. The cable terminated to a 90 degree angle 1/8th jack, which is very odd considering most headphones like this have a straight jack. But, the quality of the cable makes up for it, being completely cloth covered until the end of it. The fit for me is ok. I have a taller head than most people, so I have to click the headband adjuster all the way up for the pads to fully cover my ears. If the adjuster had one less click from the top, I would not be able to pull the pads down over my ears. So if you have a large head like me, see if you can try them before buying, because what's the point of having a headphone if it doesn't fit. The build quality however is extremely impressive, these feel more like $800 headphones than the $499 listing price.

If these sound so good, I can't wait to hear the HE-560s. I had my doubts about Hifiman before, but these guys are the real deal and make excellent quality headphones. I got these open box for $389, and even for the listing price of $499, I'd say these are well worth it.
      trellus likes this.
    1. Music Alchemist
      Cool succinct review that reflects some of my own impressions. Try the grill mod! (Google it.) With it, the HE400i isn't too far behind the much more expensive HIFIMAN models.
      Music Alchemist, May 15, 2016
    2. bolmeteus
      Hoping to score one on the next black friday, prices drop down to 250$ish...
      bolmeteus, May 15, 2016
  8. tonglongjeff
    Hifiman HE-400i - First planar, slightly disappointed
    Written by tonglongjeff
    Published Mar 20, 2016
    Pros - Build quality, very accurate highs and mids, wide soundstage and super comfortable
    Cons - Doesn't know if it wants to be a portable, not as transparent as it could have been and lacks bass for my taste
    You’ll understand that once you start buying headphones, amps and dacs that you get the niggling feeling every once in awhile to try something new. Or to get the next upgrade. Well I purchased these during my niggly moment to do both.

I got these for about $450NZD which equates to $306USD as of this moment which is super cheap for a headphone of this build quality, let alone a planar from a reputable brand. I wanted to dabble into planar magnetic headphones and read great things about the HE-400i’s

Unfortunately I think I’ll have to let these go as they don’t really scratch the itch. This is not going to be an overly negative review just heads up :p

As you most likely already know, these headphones are low impedance and terminate in a 3.5mm jack which is angled. I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t want to wear these outside. Luckily they do include a ¼” adapter.

Just FYI, I didn’t find I needed to mod the grills. My headphone didn’t actually come with padding inside so the sound was less impaired compared to some forums I had seen. I bought these second hand and I’m not sure if the previous guy took them out.

Build:

The build on this headphone is “O for Awesome” (NZ joke) need I say more?

Well since this is a review I will say more. The headphone is primarily made from metal, the cups are metal inside and out. The band is metal with nice tactile clicky tabs for adjusting. The only plastic parts are the yokes which I find a bit strange. I mean, the headphone is 2 pieces of nicely made metal with plastic joining them. Seems like a weak point to me. Anyways I digress.

The pads are also of good quality. My pair came with the newer version focus pads (Focus pad A’s). I believe the older versions were a bit thinner, but mine are very plush and comfortable. They don’t feel like memory foam, but are quite soft and feel decent.

The cables are very nice. The older versions had the old style screw on type connectors. However mine came with the detachable 2.5mm connectors on each ear. Much easier to take in and out as well as make replacements for. The cable itself is also well made with a braided exterior and decent thickness and pliability at the same time :) They are a much welcomed upgrade from the thin silver HE500 cables.

Comfort:

These are among the most comfortable headphones I’ve worn. I’d say even slightly more comfortable than the HD800s. They are extraordinarily light for a planar and the focus pads really just seal the deal.

Since they are so light, 370 grams. The thin head band doesn’t really matter. It is wide and can spread the weight evenly on your head without any one section pushing down to cause discomfort.

There is also a good amount of adjustment available on the headband. The very nice tactile feedback from changing notches is great and it doesn’t feel like it would change on their own without your say so.

One small gripe about the earcups. This really is just a nit pick. Since the yokes are so far out on the cup itself, when putting the headphone on there isn’t really a “correct” place to put your hands when holding them. I like to flatten out the ear cups before I put them on so they don’t have to rub on my face to flatten out themselves. The yokes make this very awkward.

Sound Quality:

When I picked these up I was looking for that “planar sound” I know there wasn’t going to be heaps of bass and I was fine with that. But I was expecting transparency, soundstage and clarity for days!! Unfortunately I might need to sell these and spend a little more to get that. This is definitely a good entry into planar.

Treble:

The highs on this headphone are in no way spiky or sibilant. They stop just before it gets too far. They are however very clear and precise. The word to describe these headphones is “fast” most dynamic drivers just can’t compete with the speed of planars. It doesn’t skip a beat. Listening to music with a lot of layered instruments is a breeze.

Mids:

In general the highs and mids of this headphone are slightly extended. These two areas are where the headphone shine. Vocals and instrumentals sound very detailed while wearing these.

Bass:

Now I know that planars in general have slightly less bass. But in my opinion these headphones were lacking a bit too much. They were ALMOST lifeless in terms of sound. They had plenty fn mids and highs but the warmth, if even for a little bit were not there. The sounds I heard for the low end though were very detailed and precise. They weren't that punchy the majority of the time.

Soundstage:

The soundstage on these were pretty good. Coming from the hD600s these far surpassed them. The transparency of the planar drivers and the earcup design were almost perfect. I’d say the soundstage was wide and had some back and forth to it. But the up and down directions were a bit smaller.

Imaging:

Very nice. With the accuracy of the drivers and deliverance of minute detail the imaging was very accurate.

Conclusion:

I PERSONALLY don’t think these cans are my thing. I was expecting a slightly warmer sound. I know planars can do it. But it seems this headphone was much more analytical for me anyways.

I can not fault the build or comfort at all. It is by far the most comfortable I have used. The pads are great, the overall aesthetic is very sturdy and tough looking. I like it :)

For this price range I think this headphone does a great job. But it seems like I need to spend a little more in order to get a more balanced planar.
      x y r likes this.
    2. allsumnull
      What are you amping these with?
      allsumnull, Mar 26, 2016
    3. tonglongjeff
      I WAS amping these with my schiit asgard 2. But I also tried using the HiFiMAN ef-6 which improved the bass slightly. I no longer have the 400i's or asgard 2 (reluctant sale) since I recently picked up a pair of hd800's
      tonglongjeff, Mar 26, 2016
    4. AutumnCrown
      Planars if anything are known for having superlative bass
      AutumnCrown, Aug 1, 2016
  9. Aornic
    Planar bass punch. Great all rounder. Possibly the best mid-fi on the market.
    Written by Aornic
    Published Mar 18, 2016
    Pros - Punchy Planar bass with fast decay. Very filling mids. Good treble extension. Good for any genre of music.
    Cons - Narrow soundstage. Provided cable (2.5mm) is flimsy and too short. Fingerprint magnet.
  10. naka9
    Hifiman's hit gold!
    Written by naka9
    Published Mar 9, 2016
    Pros - Excellent construction and confort. Great balance and revealing sound. Excellent Value.
    Cons - Ridiculous stock cable... in length and poor quality!!
    There is not much I can add to the best reviews that have been written here but I must say I am very pleased with the HE-400i... specially when I have been using the Sennheiser's HD600 for so long and was convinced that those were the absolute reference headphones. So naive of me!

The HD600's are indeed good but the Hifiman's present the music with much more finesse and realism. So much that I opened my wallet and matched them with a brand new Burson Audio Soloist SL, which they prefered in detriment to my old Musical Fidelity X-Can V3.

I was lucky to made the purchase right after the new version arrived in Europe - equipped with the 2,5mm plugs - but to my disappointment (the only one I might add) the stock cable was so incredibly bad that I get scared for a moment. The cable completly ruined the SQ that I cannot even describe!

So I made a 3 meter-long Canare L-4E6S with Neutrik 6,3mm jack plug and a pair of 3 pole 2,5mm I found on Ebay (and WBT solder) and... WOW! Now this headphones can sing!!!!

Being so cheap why aren't this cable offered in the package in the first place?!

Highly recommended :)

Comments

To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!