Fiio LOD cable giving me problems...
Apr 6, 2011 at 5:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Cali101

New Head-Fier
I got my Fiio E5 a few days ago, and I was using the 3.5mm --> 3.5mm cable that came with it while I waited for the L5 cable to arrive.

So this morning, I plug the LOD cable into from my walkman to the E5, and the first thing I notice is that the volume is suddenly deafening - I had the walkman set to 11/30, and the E5 to the highest, and it seems that the volume on the walkman doesn't actually matter - I just set the walkman to 1/30, and it's still deafening :S.

The second thing I notice is that the volume seems to vary depending on what's being played. If it's just drums, it's quite loud, however when guitars or vocals come in, it's suddenly quiet again...

Also, I can't change the volume of the walkman while the lod cable is plugged in.

My setup is:  S639F -->  Fiio E5  -->  Klipsch S2

Help! And thanks in advance :)

[EDIT]  

I just turned off all of the sound enhancers and it made no difference. I know now that the volume is controlled completely by the amp...

Apr 6, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #2 of 4
What you describe is exactly what you should expect from a Line-Out-Dock, which is an fixed, constant high / line-level output from the DAP. The idea is to use the amp to control the volume.

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #3 of 4
But that still doesn't explain the constant change in volume. I  notice that when I turn the 'clear-bass' down / off in the EQ settings, this goes away, but then there isn't any bass - just treble and mids...

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 4
Obviously it has more to do with how the 'Clear-Bass' works than the LOD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back