[FiiO KA17] Mini desktop-class amp, flagship dongle is officially released!
Feb 12, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #226 of 689
Amazing... So do you think the ibasso dc elite worth the price?

I want to ask is the desktop mode activate only when you jack power into the side USB C(after switching the switch) or you can just drain your phone battery ?
No it works without the external power connected, but only if your source has the required power output via connection. Laptops and desktops will run desktop mode without any issues most likely. Not all phones will have the power output for it and if they do the battery drain is pretty high and will ruin your battery in the long run so expect to use a small 2500-5000 mah powerbank and some 90° adapter/cables to get a portable setup that won't kill your battery life. For iems tho, desktop mode is not likely necessary to use as max vol on low gain or high gain without maxing volume is more than enough for all my iems including my planar iems. I only need desktop mode for my planar headphones and high impedance dynamics, Which I don't see most people leaving their house with so you may not even need desktop Mode on the move . Depends on your use case completely tho. I have posted my setup in this thread before with a 5000mah power bank so I can move around my house and take outside when it's not raining 😅 and I can run my he400se (they are planars so impedance does not work the same with them, they need more power than my dt900 300ohm) on desktop mode and high volumes for 5 hours or something around that. Sorry for the long explanation and rant but hope I cleared some stuff up for you.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #227 of 689
Amazing... So do you think the ibasso dc elite worth the price?

I want to ask is the desktop mode activate only when you jack power into the side USB C(after switching the switch) or you can just drain your phone battery ?

As explained above, desktop mode can work if the source device doesn't limit its USB power supply.

I have no regret paying for DC-Elite's full price as I think iBasso has done a really good job there, though obviously I also think KA17 and KA5 offers much better value in contrast.

Feb 13, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #228 of 689
So my second KA17 arrived today and I'm sad to report that the issue is still present on this one as well, BUT I've managed to fix it. After I sent back the first one I kept thinking why does it change the sample rate from 192k to 48k only when I type something or block/unlock the phone screen while it's playing music and it occurred to me that there is a sound from the phone when you type something or block/unblock and I ask myself "What if I just put the phone on silent mode?" and lo and behold the problem disappeared. It comes back if I disable silent mode but as long as I keep it on silent the issue is resolved. I'm happy with my KA17 now and I'm gonna keep it. You never know when you need more power.

BTW, someone said a few pages ago in this thread that the balanced port feels a little mushy, basically it doesn't make the click sound when you plug in.
For me it does make the click sound when I plug in and is very tight, no issues. Also no hissing or popping sound. This also has firmware 0.84 and only EQ is available with fiio control app.

Feb 16, 2024 at 5:22 AM Post #229 of 689
GUYS I WANT ASK ABOUT Digital Filter.

What FILTER is the most spacious soundstage or if can 3d holograph, for KA17 ?

Btw, i get this from fiio btr15 forum , but idk what is for soundstage :

APOD1 Apodizing fast roll-off filter type 1: Version of Linear phase fast roll-off filter optimized to improve pre-ringing.

APOD2 Apodizing fast roll-off filter type 2:Version of Minimum phase fast roll-off filter optimized to improve pre-ringing

HYBR F Hybrid fast roll-off filter: Combination of Linear-phase and Minimum-phase. Fast transient attack, strong punchy bass, crisphighs.

BRICK Brick wall filter: On of the earliest designs, intended for highest suppression possible,with high delay and pre-ringing.Linear phase, crisp clean highs

FAST Fast roll-off filter: Most Common filter with clean suppression and high rejection, best for music with high transients. Provides crisp clean highs

SLOW Slow roll-off filter: Low group-delay and symmetrical inputs response. Less ringing then Linear-phase fast roll-off. Punchier bass than LPFR, with clean highs

MINI Minimum phase fast roll-off filter: Minimal Pre- Ringing, preferred for Imaging and soundstage. No aliasing in frequency domain. Stronger bass than Linear Phase,clean highs

MINI S Minimum phase slow roll-off filter: Non-Symetrical filter designed to minimize pre-ringing. Strong punchy bass with good transient attacks.

idk if this article from btr15 can relate for ka17, since i think their had different chip.

thanks beofre.

Feb 17, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #232 of 689
I've never been able to hear any differences between these filters, for what it's worth.
Today I tried playing with different filters and same as you, I can't hear any difference between them so I left it on default filter "fast".

Here some pictures comparing Fiio KA17 and KA5 in size. KA17 is a little bigger and bulky but not by much.
20240217_192927_073436.jpg

20240217_192724_073355.jpg

Also got this powerbank from Anker. I don't really need it for extra power since my Samsung A52 works fine with D.mode ON but It's good if you don't want to kill your phone battery.
20240217_194224_074416.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 7:08 AM Post #233 of 689
Just received the KA17 yesterday and been listening to it last night. So far I like it better than both the RU7 and the W4. It is cleaner than the RU7, more refined bass, and works way better across all my IEMs due to the reasonable output impedance (compared to the W4 ridiculous OI anyway).......

And its size is way smaller than the DC-Elite. It can also be that I like the ESS tuning a bit more than the CS43131 tunings......

Feb 19, 2024 at 8:46 AM Post #236 of 689
Let me think how this is called...end game or giant killer... not sure anymore...🤔
I am considering retiring my W4/RU7 and the W2AGC........ So if there is an endgame dongle for me, the KA17 comes really close to being it. And pairing it with the Volur/Nio Galaxy/Solaris Mercury...... They are all on a different level now with the KA17! The Volur and the KA17 makes me thinking I am listening on my B&O home sound speaker setups..... Until my wife pull one out of my ears.....

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 6:55 PM Post #237 of 689
Dear friend,

FiiO Control iOS version does not support KA17. But you could adjust the setting via an Android device, and the setting will be saved in the KA17.

Best regards
Could. you adjust the settings by using Android on an M11 Plus?

Feb 20, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #238 of 689
hi guys, apart from power, do Fiio KA17 has any advantages than Fiio Q15?

I am planning to buy a dac/amp solution around 400$ to replace current ifi xcan (for desktop solution, I have no desktop dac) or alternative with dc04 pro, for portable solution. Any other suggestions are really appriciated!

Feb 20, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #239 of 689
hi guys, apart from power, do Fiio KA17 has any advantages than Fiio Q15?

I am planning to buy a dac/amp solution around 400$ to replace current ifi xcan (for desktop solution, I have no desktop dac) or alternative with dc04 pro, for portable solution. Any other suggestions are really appriciated!
I cannot help you because i have not the Q15 but i will try because i have the xcan and DC06.

As i read the specs, the q15 has more power than KA17 so the power is not the probably the reason to choose KA17 instead of q15. Also the ka17 has no Bluetooth so cannot replace xcan or q15.

I love my xcan and i have reviewed it here in the past but i am using it nowdays only as a Bluetooth connection to my amazon fire stick from my tv to watch movies. And although the firestick max 4k has LDAC is still better to use my xcan with tbe AAC than lets say earstudio with LDAC.

I used to use it also for music but as Apple music moved to lossless i preferred to use KA3 with a usb connection rather my xcan with a AAC Bluetooth connection. So if KA3 can replace xcan (Not of course as a Bluetooth device) then imagine KA17 what can do....

So just to make certain KA17 is a dongle without Bluetooth and even as an end game dongle can not fully replace xcan or q15.

And me personally, I prefer kA5 from dc04 also because of the screen, now only imagine if I had to choose between dc04 and KA17...

I hope this will help you a bit, i do not think q15 and ka17 are really comparable given the functionalities

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 8:50 PM Post #240 of 689
Could. you adjust the settings by using Android on an M11 Plus?
Dear friend,

Yes. You could set the PEQ setting for the KA17 via the M11Plus in FiiO Control app.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back