[FiiO KA17] Mini desktop-class amp, flagship dongle is officially released!
Feb 11, 2024 at 8:24 AM Post #211 of 728
Can someone describe how the KA5 compares soundwise to the KA17?

I think the KA17 has more „hiss“ in the upper tones and I don't know if it's because the KA17 has a better chip and therefore better "resolution" or if it has different characteristics and I don't know if I like it yet. My girlfriend said that she likes the KA5 more because some Instruments are too much in the foreground when she uses the KA17, the KA5 is more balanced and has less of the "Hiss" that I noticed too.

The KA5 has features that I like e.g. the "NOS" filter, App control, you can use the volume slider on the iPhone/PC and it's more efficient and I don't need much Power but I want an Equalizer because my Sundara has too little base for me. FIIO doesn't even describes the filters the KA17 has.

I don't even know if and what FIIO will fix or change and this is my biggest worry. If FIIO doesn't change anything then the KA17 is in my opinion the worse device.

So I must make a tough decision because on Friday I will send one of them back so my right of withdrawal doesn't run out.
Keep the one you like to use the most. Since you already have both in front of you, asking other for comparison is kinda moot as everyone will have different taste and usage which likely won't completely match up with yours. For example, I like to use KA17 for my full sized planar more while KA5 is the better for my earbuds. I don't need any specific bottom function (as I am more of the set-and-forget type) or EQ so those don't play into my consideration. Obviously neither KA17 or KA5 is perfect for every situation and setup, so just keep what you think is going to get the most use / have the biggest impact for you. Instead of worrying what you are 'missing', think of which will gain you the most enjoyment.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #212 of 728
Your iPhone 12‘s lightning port doesn’t have enough power for the KA17 but one workaround is that you connect a Powerbank to it. I had the same problem at high volumes and I bought a camera adapter for iPhone, connected a charger and my KA3 at the same time to it and got enough power.
iPhone 13 Pro maxx too. Although KA13 has no problem running on it but my other dongles do.

Feb 12, 2024 at 1:19 AM Post #215 of 728
Betting all my money on the dap lol

Feb 12, 2024 at 4:16 AM Post #217 of 728
Is not only the ohms for planars. I tested my 4XX yesterday and i was shocked how good was the sound from ka17. I never imagined i will enjoy 4xx so much again.

Also my elex never sounded so magnificent having a shocking holographic soundstage.

I have not checked iems and probably i will not check but if someone is not concerned by battery consumption, size or any other practicalities and has headphones that really scale there is only one way forward according to my opinion...

Feb 12, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #218 of 728
I don't have any problems with my Sundara on my KA3 or KA5 but it has only 37 Ohms so it isn't a huge expense to drive it.
A HD6xx would be more problematic with 300 Ohms but I don't have one to try this out.
My fostex are 60 and although it sounds good at high volume the ka5 cuts on and out.

Feb 12, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #219 of 728
My fostex are 60 and although it sounds good at high volume the ka5 cuts on and out.
I tested my T60RPs on both the KA5 and the KA13 when I was trying to decide which to keep and the volume was absolutely ear splitting on both. In fact I damaged my hearing testing the KA5 it went so loud. I didn't hear any cut outs and to my ears they didn't sound very much different to be honest. Maybe with some music they may have been too much for the KA5, but with all the talk about how hard the fostex drivers are to drive, I expected more of a difference. It's possible that actual sound quality is poorer on the KA5, as it might have a lot of volume, but maybe the current is lower, with less bass and precision/punch. I didn't really notice.

Feb 12, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #221 of 728
Judging the driveability solely on volume alone is not exactly the best approach. Loudness is mostly a reflection of voltage (assuming neither is reaching its output limit), but more demanding headphones will benefit more from the one with a higher current output. Current however doesn't affect loudness that much.

Feb 12, 2024 at 9:15 AM Post #222 of 728
I tested my T60RPs on both the KA5 and the KA13 when I was trying to decide which to keep and the volume was absolutely ear splitting on both. In fact I damaged my hearing testing the KA5 it went so loud. I didn't hear any cut outs and to my ears they didn't sound very much different to be honest. Maybe with some music they may have been too much for the KA5, but with all the talk about how hard the fostex drivers are to drive, I expected more of a difference. It's possible that actual sound quality is poorer on the KA5, as it might have a lot of volume, but maybe the current is lower, with less bass and precision/punch. I didn't really notice.
It’s prob my iPhone 13 Pro maxx. It limits power on the KA5, funny though as it doesn’t do it on the KA13.

Feb 12, 2024 at 10:06 AM Post #223 of 728
Judging the driveability solely on volume alone is not exactly the best approach. Loudness is mostly a reflection of voltage (assuming neither is reaching its output limit), but more demanding headphones will benefit more from the one with a higher current output. Current however doesn't affect loudness that much.
Hi clie, i saw you own a lot of portable dongle DAC i wonder how ka17 compared to the other dongle in ranking? I know this might not be the right thread to ask but how is DC elite? Is it the best dongle now?

Feb 12, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #224 of 728
Hi clie, i saw you own a lot of portable dongle DAC i wonder how ka17 compared to the other dongle in ranking? I know this might not be the right thread to ask but how is DC elite? Is it the best dongle now?

Here is what I said a few days ago and I think my option still hold true.

In normal mode, I think KA17 can just about rival any lesser top-tier or upper 2nd-tier USB dongles. In external-powered desktop mode, I think it can pretty much equal any top-tier USB dongle in performance, and excel in one particular area - its tightness/control/output power. The harder, and more demanding the headphone is, the easier that you will notice KA17's advantage over other USB dongles. The overall signature is clean, and transparent, with a very grand and opened stage/image that is more desktop-like than dongle-like. The other USB dongle that shares a fairly similar presentation is the iBasso DC-Elite, except KA17 offers just a little bit more punch.

Feb 12, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #225 of 728
Here is what I said a few days ago and I think my option still hold true.
Amazing... So do you think the ibasso dc elite worth the price?

I want to ask is the desktop mode activate only when you jack power into the side USB C(after switching the switch) or you can just drain your phone battery ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back