[FiiO KA17] Mini desktop-class amp, flagship dongle is officially released!
Feb 27, 2024 at 12:50 AM Post #256 of 703
Dear friend,

Which APP are you using for playing DSD? And which volume level? We will try to test first. Thanks in advance!

Best regards
Hello @FiiO,

thanks for the Answer.

I’m using EverPlay because it’s so far the only App that can send DSD to my Dacs on the iPhone 15PM. On the iPhone 13 for example it‘s working fine with the KA17 and Onkyo works fine too. The noise is much louder than the sound so it doesn’t matter which volume I’m using. And again the KA5 works fine but only with EverPlay when I use the iPhone 15PM.
Maybe you could try another App that works on the iPhone 15PM without noise.

Thanks in Advance.

Edit:
Maybe you could add a nos Filter?
This is something I am missing.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 1:19 AM Post #257 of 703
Dear friend,

The product manager are trying to assessing again currently. What option would you like to add for the multifunction or other buttons?

Best regards
Would appreciate if you could carry the functions over from the KA5 to the KA17, play/pause, skip track, etc.

And regarding the Fiio control app, would appreciate if you could add more functions, besides EQ settings.

Thanks.

Feb 27, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #258 of 703
Dear friend,

The product manager are trying to assessing again currently. What option would you like to add for the multifunction or other buttons?

Best regards
Hello. Thanks for reply. The crucial missing function is play/pause for the multifunction button. Then you can control music without having to open the phone. Mute/unmute is not a valuable substitute for play/pause. I would also like the option of holding the volume button to skip track forward or back like on the other fiio dongles. This would be nice but not as essential as play/pause.

As for app controls, most early reviews said that you could control all functions of the device from the app, but it seems you can only control eq. I would like to control all options from the app if possible but understand if this is problematic for some reason because of the hardware. Play/pause is much more important.

However your earlier post said these controls were not possible so I dont know. Play/pause would seem to be very simple but I'm not a developer so don't know.

Also the firmware and/or app needs updating to stop the device from disconnecting regularly from the phone. Sometimes is shows disconnected I the app but music still plays, sometimes it won't play music when this happens. The occasional loud pop noises on playing are also annoying.

Also the device gets really pretty hot when usbc power is plugged in. This is not good. Can power consumption be reduced somehow to stop excess heat.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #259 of 703
Also the firmware and/or app needs updating to stop the device from disconnecting regularly from the phone. Sometimes is shows disconnected I the app but music still plays, sometimes it won't play music when this happens. The occasional loud pop noises on playing are also annoying.
This happened to me few times but trigerred everytime by a small movement of the cable. I reinserted the cable in the opposite direction and the problem disappeared although can still happen occasionally by a violent movement of the cable.

If this does not work a different usb cable may ameliorate the issue.

Not sure if this a software issue in my case or harware with the physical connection of my phones. However, it is fine for now after my quick fix.

Also the device gets really pretty hot when usbc power is plugged in. This is not good. Can power consumption be reduced somehow to stop excess heat.
Is this happening with the desktop mode deactivated?

Feb 28, 2024 at 5:17 AM Post #260 of 703
Good morning FiiO, I got your ka17 from the FiiO Europe store (I had chosen the blue version but the black one arrived).
I would like to point out that on my phone I use the battery preservation mode which charges the phone to 85%.
I have some big problems with my dongle:

1 The battery of my Samsung S23 ultra is vampirized in any mode, in desktop mode the autonomy of my phone does not reach 2 hours (I think it reaches a temperature of 40 degrees celsius) in normal mode the autonomy does not exceed 4.

2 if I connect a power bank to the ka17's power port it changes absolutely nothing regarding the autonomy of my phone.

3 I tried the preset equalization mode (rock, jazz, classical, dance,...) and I must say that they are all terrible (this doesn't happen to me with my PC's sound card).

The battery of my s23 ultra has significantly deteriorated since I used the ka17.

I wanted to ask, is this absorption behavior normal?

What is the additional port for?

When I connect a power bank, why does it keep draining my phone's battery?

I'm afraid to use the ka17, do you recommend calling FiiO Europa for these behaviors? Best regards

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 7:24 AM Post #261 of 703
Do you have a USB power meter?

Try to connect the KA17 to the power supply first and look if the display turns on. When the display doesn’t turn on when you connect something into the red usbc port then there is something wrong.

Feb 28, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #262 of 703
Do you have a USB power meter?

Try to connect the KA17 to the power supply first and look if the display turns on. When the display doesn’t turn on when you connect something into the red usbc port then there is something wrong.
thanks parrick, no I don't have a USB power meter.

when I connect the power bank to the red port the display of the ka17 lights up but I don't see any difference in the consumption of my mobile phone, the s23 ultra has enough power to power in desk mode without using the red USB port. It's as if he has a preference for using the phone's battery

Feb 28, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #263 of 703
When I connect a power bank, why does it keep draining my phone's battery?
This shouldn't happen. When you connect the power bank, KA17 will not draw power from the phone. Very weird indeed. @FiiO any ideas about this issue?

On another note I went to the countryside and I can happily say that KA17 didn't have any cellular interference. Props to FiiO for making it better shielded against interference. That's the good news.
The bad news is that I had the same problem as @Longfellow78 said with KA17 just disconnecting randomnly, it happend 3 times and I did the same thing as @rafaelo , just reinserted the cable in opposite direction and it fixed the problem. Also KA17 gets really really hot with D.mode ON. I'm a little afraid what will happen during the summer, I hope It won't fry...

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #264 of 703
This shouldn't happen. When you connect the power bank, KA17 will not draw power from the phone. Very weird indeed. @FiiO any ideas about this issue?

One another note I went to the countryside and I can happily say that KA17 didn't have any cellular interference. Props to FiiO for making it better shielded against interference. That's the good news.
The bad news is that I had the same problem as @Longfellow78 said with KA17 just disconnecting randomnly, it happend 3 times and I did the same thing as @rafaelo , just reinserted the cable in opposite direction and it fixed the problem. Also KA17 gets really really hot with D.mode ON. I'm a little afraid what will happen during the summer, I hope It won't fry...
Yes it gets hot but this is expected and is the price we pay for the desktop mode. Is like having a Ferrari and complain for the gasoline consumption...:)

However, the device should not get so hot when desktop mode is deactivated even the second usb is used. I do not remember to experience that.

Unless someone has a phone that cannot provide power for desktop mode alone but by using the second usb the desktop mode is automatically activated because the button is on for the desktop mode. By switching off the relevant button the desktop mode should be deactivated and the dongle not getting too hot respectively.

Feb 28, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #267 of 703
If it gets too hot it stop working until it cools down. Running planar headphones on desktop mode, external power, high gain and high volumes for a while does stop mine from working continuously.
Curious to know if you are trying to draw more power from the KA17 than it is rated to supply? If that is true the KA17 should shut off - that would be natural.

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #269 of 703
I have a USB meter and the KA17 shuts off the supply from the phone as soon as I connect the cable into the second port. IMG_20240228_211733.jpegIMG_20240228_211756.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back