FiiO K7 Desktop DAC/Amp Now on Apos
Nov 9, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #18 of 32
Looks to me like the K7 has 2x the power output of the "flagship" K9 Pro. I hope that not accurate. Would be very disappointing as the K9 Pro is 3x the price.
Does your K9 pro seem like it is underpowered to you? What are you using it with if I can ask? I would imagine the power output being similar to the ESS version.

If it is anywhere close to what the ESS version is. You shouldn't have any issue driving a 300 Ohm can or even a 600 Ohm can.

Nov 14, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #21 of 32
Ordered on Nov 9 and received it today. For such a little box and just 200$ the amount of sound quality impressed me. It stacks quite nicely with a Chord Hugo 2. Although I got it primarily to be used as an amp, I listened to it as a standalone unit and the dac itself has a slight warmish sound (compared to Hugo2) which I really enjoy. I cannot really find any cons considering what Fiio already gives us at this price point. I mean there are dongles costing more which doesn't even come close to power output. I was debating on getting the Topping L70 but the K7 smaller footprint won me over and I don't need that kind of power that the L70 puts out. I used my DCA Aeon2 Noire and it sounds superb on high gain with volume knob at 12 o'clock (my normal listening level). Really happy with this purchase. Kudos to Apos for shipping this out quickly and receiving it even before the ETA which was supposed to be this Wednesday.

Nov 15, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #22 of 32
Just put my order in today. Saw that it was using the same AKM dac chips used in the M11 that i have and I absolutely love those little buggers. I was looking at ordering from Schiit but their Asgard combo uses Sabre and I've never once been impressed by anything they've done.

Nov 16, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #23 of 32
So i have ESS k5 pro, do I need k7 AKM now? lol

Nov 21, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #24 of 32
Another day, another SpykeZ buys some new crap because **** it why not.

Featuring the new FiiO K7!! Dual AKM DACs and THX amps. Whhhaaaat.

eedkSch.jpg

So I've had a lot of hardware over the years, more out of curiosity. Everything from a simple Topping VX1 when they were first starting out, to a Schiit Asgard 2/Bifrost Uber stack, to the Peach Tree Decco 2, as well as all my mobiles from the iBasso DX50 (2nd release wave), Sony A45, and my now beloved Fiio M11.

Usually when I listen to my headphones I turn my FiiO M11 on for DAC mode because those AKM chips that are in it (that the K7 now uses? I think they might be slightly upgraded) bring out details in music nothing else ever has, I'm personally just not a fan of ESS chips. Mostly the bass side of things, so if you you're a bassist, you'll love being able to hear the picking and clanking of bass on most tracks.

Overall, what the **** is all I can say. Of all the hardware I've had in recent years, nothing can touch this. Even my Schiit stack that cost 3 times as much didn't sound this good.

There's a way it presents sound that just...hits you different and I'm not even sure how to describe it. It almost makes all your stuff sound like a live recording. Vocals are very up front in your face like you're sitting in front row of a concert or at the recording studio itself. I'm a little sensitive to treble so I do have one set of the white pads inside my Dan Clarks to tone it down but the treble on this thing is just...soft but very crisp and delicious, doesn't cause my ears to want to commit suicide like some amps have. Mids are really good and female vocals which are my favorite are in your face good. Aren't over done, but still captures all their nuance. Bass is where I really like how this thing shines. The bass is solid, very SOLID, and it finds a way IMO to separate itself from the the sub/mid/upper bass very well. You can catch what easily which is supposed to be which, I'm used to being blended too much. I'm a metal head so being able to distinguish perfectly the bass line away from the drums is a very welcome treat. Usually they mud over each other.

Separation between all the instruments is pretty damn good, it's not OVERLY better than what I've had in the past but you can really follow most instruments on their own now. My all time favorite song will always be November Rain from GNR and just being able to articulate all the differences between all the instruments in it is still a bit shocking. Even going back to some other songs I know like the back of my hand like Comfortably Numb and Coming back to Life from Pink Floyd to some tracks from Motley Crue and they still find a way to show me stuff I haven't heard before is a bit shocking.

It's got plenty of options for connectivity regardless what you're after. Input you got all the basics and output you got your choice between headphones and a pre-out (I use active speakers so I so RCA > 1/4" connectors".

200 bucks. That's it. 200 bucks and this thing is punching WELLLLL above it's price tag. My Schiit stack cost me something like 700 bucks all in and doesn't even touch what this stupid thing is doing.

My only cons:

The switches are tiny as hell. With the amount of room that this thing has on it for it's size, I would have liked to see bigger switches between switching the gain and outputs.

They talk about all this power this thing has but, I like my music a little louder and I'm at like 80% on volume to get it to push my Dan Clark Open Aeon's to where I like it. I feel like I can get more volume out of my FiiO M11 but.....hey maybe I'm better off so I don't blow out my ****ing ears.

To end this, this thing is here to stay and may very well be my end game amp, I can't imagine anything else pulling better punches than what this K7 is offering me personally.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #26 of 32
What exactly would balanced cables help me out with? The entire purpose of balanced cables is to remove unwanted noise and give you a cleaner sound, if that's an issue you're having. None of which I'm having. I don't follow most people's snake oil that more expensive cables all a sudden make everything sound better. If you got cheap cables sure. The cables Dan Clark uses are anything but cheaply made.

Nov 22, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #27 of 32
What exactly would balanced cables help me out with? The entire purpose of balanced cables is to remove unwanted noise and give you a cleaner sound, if that's an issue you're having. None of which I'm having. I don't follow most people's snake oil that more expensive cables all a sudden make everything sound better. If you got cheap cables sure. The cables Dan Clark uses are anything but cheaply made.
1669157848015.png

Gives you almost double the power my man. Thats what I am talking about. Look at the specs. Balanced out is where your going to get the full brunt of the power of this thing. Single ended is respectable at 1220mW at 32ohm load but it isn't the 2,000mW at the 32 ohm load of the balanced. This has nothing to do with cables and snake oil, you want the full use of the K7 in full glory. Try balanced which you will need a balanced cable for. This was my whole point.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #28 of 32
Ah right on, must have missed that part.

Guess I got some shopping to do

Nov 22, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #29 of 32
Ya your only tapping into about half the power. For easier to drive stuff sure nothing wrong with that but difficult to drive stuff. 100% you want to go balanced if you can.

let us know how that worked out if you get yourself a balanced cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back