FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Dec 23, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #796 of 2,780
Hmmm. Better bass... I like a lot of the IMR IEMs, those tend to be warm, bass heavy. In this price range the EDP comes to mind. However IMR IEMs are produced in small batches and may not be available. Actually a lot less expensive than the FH3 and sounding great would be the BLON BL03... the FH3 are “clearer“ sounding than the warmer BL03, but the BL03 are really a lot of fun. Have tried any of the Moondrop IEMs? I really like the KPE, and while I think they are discontinued there is the KXXS or on Drop the KXXX. I will give it more thought and suggest others! I wish you lots of luck finding the right IEMs, and I wish the FH3s worked better for you as they are pretty good :)

I already have the BLON BL03 and like the bass in those but they are not "clearer" sounding like you described the FH3 which I really like a lot. I haven't tried any of the Moondrop IEMs but I have heard of the KXXS and Starfields. Out of the three Moondrops, which one do you think suits me better after listening to the FH3? I still have the FH3 and have a month to return them again for the fourth time. Should I deal with the warranty after the 30 day return period is over? I really do appreciate your help and suggestions. Thanks to those who responded as well.

Dec 23, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #797 of 2,780
I have tried a lot of stuff, but I dont think there is anything in this price range that has a similar bass to the FH3. (excluding the gamble of an iem called the Urbanfun ISS014.)

Yeah I heard about the QC issues on those and steered clear away from them. I really do like the FH3. It's a shame. I still have them since I'm within the return period. I might just keep trying to make these work for me. Thank you.

Dec 24, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #798 of 2,780
Have you tried TRI Starsea? I love your reviews & ranking table, so of course I would like to hear your opinion on it :)

It has similar driver configuration with the FiiO FH3, in similar price range too. Different build though, resin vs metal, nonvented (only back vent) vs vented.
Nope, if it isnt on my list I havent tried them. :joy:

Dec 24, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #799 of 2,780
I still have the FH3 and have a month to return them again for the fourth time. Should I deal with the warranty after the 30 day return period is over? I really do appreciate your help and suggestions.
Have you tried swapping the ear tips. On my FH3, I prefer a medium-size bore to mute the treble a little and as good a seal as possible to enhance the low bass performance.

Dec 24, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #800 of 2,780
I already have the BLON BL03 and like the bass in those but they are not "clearer" sounding like you described the FH3 which I really like a lot. I haven't tried any of the Moondrop IEMs but I have heard of the KXXS and Starfields. Out of the three Moondrops, which one do you think suits me better after listening to the FH3? I still have the FH3 and have a month to return them again for the fourth time. Should I deal with the warranty after the 30 day return period is over? I really do appreciate your help and suggestions. Thanks to those who responded as well.
This lack of bass in your Fh3 seems strange as in no way it should be if everything is in place and good seal. Fh3 really should have good bass and most of all it is not also in quantity but more in quality. Fast, powerfull and not intrusive in other frequencies. Bass in fh3 not beats type of quantity but it is good thing, no one will argue there :) if you not hear such bass so either your unit is bad or as someone said - not fits your ears.

Dec 26, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #801 of 2,780
Hello guys, I am new to the forum. I have ordered the FH3 a week ago and came across the issue of the right iem being either louder or bassier than the left. I have tested my other iems (KZ ZS10 Pro and Blon 03) and they were pretty balanced. I also tested with and without the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro DAC and it still occurs. I have ordered 2 more times and they still had the same issue. I ordered these from Fiio on Amazon. It just can't be a coincidence. I really loving the sound of these iems. Should I order them one more time? Can someone recommend iems that have the same sound signature/tuning but with a bit more bass or something better that's below 200$? Thank you.
Hello, please contact me.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 27, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #802 of 2,780
The Fiio FH3 are my first foray into the world of true audiophile grade IEM's having only used the Sabbat E12 TWS for my portable needs until now. The E12's are actually really good for a Bluetooth headphone but the FH3 are in a whole different league! It looks like I might have picked a real gem right off the bat by picking the FH3 as my first choice. In fact I may just have found my "endgame" "do everything" headphone and at a price way less than I expected! Sure if I spent £300+ I might get better technicalities like larger soundstage or better micro details, but with this tuning, comfort, build and pure enjoyment factor do I REALLY need any more!

Previously coming from high end over-ear headphones for my audiophile needs these relatively cheap IEM's bring something unique to the table which in my opinion even allow them to compete with my far more costly 'open back' Audeze LCD-2C!

What makes these stand out is the near perfect tuning, the high level of detail, and the superb imaging, let alone the gorgeous design, supreme comfort, and rock solid build!

The bass is deep but at the same time tight and punchy, the mids are lush and well suited to vocals, and the highs are detailed enough without ever feeling fatiguing or sibilant. In comparison the LCD-2c actually lack a bit of bass presence in my opinion even though they do have great bass extension. The LCD-2c do respond well to EQ and with a boost to the bass have a similarly smooth tuning to the FH3, however the FH3 has better midbass and a nice punch to the sound that's very addictive!

The open back nature of the LCD-2c obviously give a more open sound which is a joy to listen to but despite the FH3 having a relatively narrow stage I never felt the music lacked room to breath. The imaging is simply stunning on the FH3 and although staging certainly feels different to the LCD-2c it's definitely not lacking, in fact in some ways I prefer it!

Everything is closer but still well separated allowing me to pick out details that weren't always as obvious on the LCD-2c. I think by the very nature of iems blasting music directly down the ear canal this can give them the real advantage of getting details to sound more in your face and ultimately more present.

I actually think the Fiio FH3 and the Audeze LCD-2C compliment each other quite well. They are both similar enough in signature but different enough in use case to work side by side. I still love the open sound of the LCD-2C, and for a home setup they're great for what they are. However the FH3's are a much better all rounder; they have the portability and isolation needed for when I'm out and about, but also the closer more intimate staging for when I'm in the mood at home. For their ease of use and lack of wires the Sabbat E12 will still be used for exercise.

I kind of feel that had I discovered the Fiio FH3 prior to my search for the ultimate over-ear I may have never started that journey and would have been perfectly satisfied by the amazing sound this £100 IEM gave me! True I would never have discovered the LCD-2c and that openness you can only experience from a large open back planar but at £900 are they really that much better?...I would say not!

PXL_20201227_114947909.PORTRAIT-01-01.jpegPXL_20201227_120013368-01.jpegPXL_20201227_120649827-01.jpegPXL_20201227_121215504-01-01.jpegPXL_20201227_121822562-01.jpegPXL_20201227_122520914-01.jpeg

Dec 27, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #803 of 2,780
So I didn't know IEMs could be this good, wow. Feel like I've been wasting my time with the cheaper brands that deliver high performance value relative to the cost (I still feel like they are great values for the cost in the 30-50 range and don't want to speak poorly of the specific brands).

But wow these have changed how I experience music. I only have HD58X when it comes to cans but I did find myself wanting to go back to the FH3 whenever I'm using those. Using a Q5K for source and I feel like it's a great pairing. I am not proficient at vividly describing my audio listening experience like I see many others on this forum are, but I just didn't know you could have this much clarity, separation AND bass that doesn't seem to bleed or interfere with other frequencies. My mind is straight up blown at how good music sounds right now and I'm finding myself getting lost for hours doing stuff around the house listening to music.

Shout out to @RikudouGoku whose IEM list I referenced to get set on the path to learning about these. For the first time ever I am listening to music without feeling like I'm missing something and need to seek out the next upgrade. Will probably eventually check out some Moondrops or LZ A7, but right now I feel I'm perfectly content with how I'm listening to music. I had high expectations of the FH3 with everything I've read and they still managed to shock me and blow expectations away.

Edit: Wanted to mention running a KB Ear balanced cable which has been great.

Dec 27, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #804 of 2,780
Invitation to FiiO User Communication Activity on Facebook

Distinguished FiiO users,

We have successfully held a communication activity on Facebook in March. Lately we have been planning another online communication activity. This time, we will once again invite members of FiiO Product Council and project managers. Any questions concerning our previous products or the upcoming FD5 and UTWS3 will be welcomed. In addition, we have prepared a brand new FD5 and UTWS3 as prizes. FiiO users participating in this event will have a chance to get them! Thank you for your support to us.
Time: 9 p.m.-11 p.m., 29 Dec. 2020 (Beijing time)

Site:
FiiO-philes club>>>
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1615065175446865/

How to Attend: Search for "FiiO-philes club" on Facebook to join the discussion.
Activity Details:
1. Each ID is only allowed to participate in the draw once.
2. Questions are limited to FiiO products.
3. Questions are limited to specified posts of the FiiO group, such as the post of FiiO headphone amplifiers, players or Bluetooth products.
4. Participants who send an advertisement or post any contents unrelated to FiiO products will be removed from the group with invalid qualification to take in the draw.
5. On the second day after the communication activity, FiiO staff will collect and draw a lottery on Random, announcing the winners. The first winner will get the FD5, and the second will get the UTWS3.
6. For the question posted between 9 p.m. and 12 p.m. on Dec.29th (Beijing time), its ID will be qualified to participate in the draw. Others out of this time period will not be acknowledged.
7. Winners please contact administrators of FiiO Facebook group, sending your shipping details to us within 1 week. Otherwise, you will lose the winner qualification.
8. FiiO reserves the final interpretation right about this activity.

On 9 p.m. and 11 p.m. on Dec.29th (Beijing time), we will wait for you on Facebook.

1609123403229.png

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 28, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #805 of 2,780
Reading the last few pages about tips, I think this post is good to check out for more detail about the FiiO tips. It includes specs and the thought process behind the design and what they intend to accomplish. It's a post from three years ago promoting their tips for the FiiO F9 Pro, but from what I can tell the tips are the same that are included with the FH3. Even if not the same spec down to the mm I assume the concepts are the same with the balanced (default premounted), bass, vocal, and foam. The aesthetic remains mostly the same as well (other than the bass tips being more translucent now compared to before).

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/enjoy-the-f9-pro-to-the-most-with-different-ear-tips.867445/

I read through that post before reading the last 15 pages or so of this thread and saw a couple people recommending the bass tips so decided to try for myself. The FiiO post describes that they can be a little more moderate and loose with the sound due to the bigger diameter, and from 15 minutes using them that's exactly how it feels for me personally and I felt like I was losing the precision that I love with the balanced tips. Obviously everybody will have their own preference but I think I'll stick with the stock balanced tips for awhile. Might try AZLA Sedna short or Spiral Dots some time per recommendation of @MariusAB as I like the thought of more separation with more analytical tendency (as they described), but honestly the stock balanced tips sound ideal to me so far.

Dec 28, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #806 of 2,780
IMHO, the FH3 are terrific value for money - easily besting iems twice the cost. Very good sonics, with spectacular bass (both quality+ quantity) through and through. Ideal for bassy genres: EDM, rock, pop, electronica etc. My experience with going balanced with the FH3 is that there is noticeable improvement in sound quality: the FH3 deserve good balanced cables, to get the best out of them. They are catapulted to the next league: I am using FiiO's own LC-2.5C and LC-4.4C. Stock tips - grey-red - L.

Thought I'd share some pix as proud owner of two of these beauties : )
IMG20201228151556.jpg
IMG20201228151718.jpg
IMG20201228151735.jpg
:beerchug:l

Dec 28, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #807 of 2,780
The Fiio FH3 are my first foray into the world of true audiophile grade IEM's having only used the Sabbat E12 TWS for my portable needs until now. The E12's are actually really good for a Bluetooth headphone but the FH3 are in a whole different league! It looks like I might have picked a real gem right off the bat by picking the FH3 as my first choice. In fact I may just have found my "endgame" "do everything" headphone and at a price way less than I expected! Sure if I spent £300+ I might get better technicalities like larger soundstage or better micro details, but with this tuning, comfort, build and pure enjoyment factor do I REALLY need any more!

Previously coming from high end over-ear headphones for my audiophile needs these relatively cheap IEM's bring something unique to the table which in my opinion even allow them to compete with my far more costly 'open back' Audeze LCD-2C!

What makes these stand out is the near perfect tuning, the high level of detail, and the superb imaging, let alone the gorgeous design, supreme comfort, and rock solid build!

The bass is deep but at the same time tight and punchy, the mids are lush and well suited to vocals, and the highs are detailed enough without ever feeling fatiguing or sibilant. In comparison the LCD-2c actually lack a bit of bass presence in my opinion even though they do have great bass extension. The LCD-2c do respond well to EQ and with a boost to the bass have a similarly smooth tuning to the FH3, however the FH3 has better midbass and a nice punch to the sound that's very addictive!

The open back nature of the LCD-2c obviously give a more open sound which is a joy to listen to but despite the FH3 having a relatively narrow stage I never felt the music lacked room to breath. The imaging is simply stunning on the FH3 and although staging certainly feels different to the LCD-2c it's definitely not lacking, in fact in some ways I prefer it!

Everything is closer but still well separated allowing me to pick out details that weren't always as obvious on the LCD-2c. I think by the very nature of iems blasting music directly down the ear canal this can give them the real advantage of getting details to sound more in your face and ultimately more present.

I actually think the Fiio FH3 and the Audeze LCD-2C compliment each other quite well. They are both similar enough in signature but different enough in use case to work side by side. I still love the open sound of the LCD-2C, and for a home setup they're great for what they are. However the FH3's are a much better all rounder; they have the portability and isolation needed for when I'm out and about, but also the closer more intimate staging for when I'm in the mood at home. For their ease of use and lack of wires the Sabbat E12 will still be used for exercise.

I kind of feel that had I discovered the Fiio FH3 prior to my search for the ultimate over-ear I may have never started that journey and would have been perfectly satisfied by the amazing sound this £100 IEM gave me! True I would never have discovered the LCD-2c and that openness you can only experience from a large open back planar but at £900 are they really that much better?...I would say not!

PXL_20201227_114947909.PORTRAIT-01-01.jpegPXL_20201227_120013368-01.jpegPXL_20201227_120649827-01.jpegPXL_20201227_121215504-01-01.jpegPXL_20201227_121822562-01.jpegPXL_20201227_122520914-01.jpeg
Nice pix 👍🏼

Dec 28, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #808 of 2,780

Thanks 👍 I only used a Pixel 4a for them... probably helps that I do Photography for a living though! 😉

Interesting to hear what you said about going balanced! Of course it could be that your source puts out better audio balanced? I'm hoping to get some balanced cables soon to try out myself.

It would be interesting to hear them out of my xduoo TA-10 balanced. Although it's not true balanced it definitely improves the sound to my Audeze LCD-2c.

I also tend to use the Fiio Q1ii balanced and with bass boost for the LCD-2c which adds a bit of warm and obviously more bass. Im currently finding the Shanling UP2 works really well with the FH3. The UP2 sounds cleaner with better separation and soundstage compared to the Q1ii. I also recently got the Qudelix 5k and plan to do some comparisons to the UP2. Obviously it has a lot more power and a balanced output which I'm keen to try out too. So far listening Single Ended without EQ I think I still prefer the UP2 to the 5K but I need to do more a/b with them?

Dec 29, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #809 of 2,780
Invitation to FiiO User Communication Activity on Facebook

Distinguished FiiO users,

We have successfully held a communication activity on Facebook in March. Lately we have been planning another online communication activity. This time, we will once again invite members of FiiO Product Council and project managers. Any questions concerning our previous products or the upcoming FD5 and UTWS3 will be welcomed. In addition, we have prepared a brand new FD5 and UTWS3 as prizes. FiiO users participating in this event will have a chance to get them! Thank you for your support to us.
Time: 9 p.m.-11 p.m., 29 Dec. 2020 (Beijing time)

Site:
FiiO-philes club>>>
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1615065175446865/

How to Attend: Search for "FiiO-philes club" on Facebook to join the discussion.
Activity Details:
1. Each ID is only allowed to participate in the draw once.
2. Questions are limited to FiiO products.
3. Questions are limited to specified posts of the FiiO group, such as the post of FiiO headphone amplifiers, players or Bluetooth products.
4. Participants who send an advertisement or post any contents unrelated to FiiO products will be removed from the group with invalid qualification to take in the draw.
5. On the second day after the communication activity, FiiO staff will collect and draw a lottery on Random, announcing the winners. The first winner will get the FD5, and the second will get the UTWS3.
6. For the question posted between 9 p.m. and 12 p.m. on Dec.29th (Beijing time), its ID will be qualified to participate in the draw. Others out of this time period will not be acknowledged.
7. Winners please contact administrators of FiiO Facebook group, sending your shipping details to us within 1 week. Otherwise, you will lose the winner qualification.
8. FiiO reserves the final interpretation right about this activity.

On 9 p.m. and 11 p.m. on Dec.29th (Beijing time), we will wait for you on Facebook.

1609123403229.png
I'll be waiting for you tonight at the Fio-Philes Club.Welcome to discuss any information about the FiiO headset with me.

Dec 30, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #810 of 2,780
I have had my hands on the fiio fh3 for a month or so now and the sound has really grown on me. Coming from neutral buds, the upper kids/lower treble was a bit too forward and the dip into Lower mids too steep but what this does is help the with instrument seperation and a clean and quick decay. For my ears the perfect listening levels are just few notches below my usual limit because of the upper FR peaks. It is an in your face presentation and I feel a 'W' shape. Imaging is fantastic and sometimes I often thought there was a channel imbalance with the vocalist sitting slightly to one side but then on another track it would be the other side - so this must be baked into the recording (I hope 😟).

General question/observation, as I recently got my hands on the FH5 quickly and felt it was a little more relaxed and 'holographic' but much the same signature. I felt this with the w30 and w60 to some extent and was just wondering whether this is purely result of multiple drivers doing the same FR section with minute differences. Would this then imply less 'holographicness' produces better imaging ie Single BA firing on its part of the FR.

The only 'coherency' (?) Issue I encountered was listening to podcasts where sometimes the speakers voice must crossed over to the DD and creates a noticeable deep bass emphasis. A linear rise through to sub bass makes for a clean and big bass but may skew the natural sound of accoustic instruments.

Overall I dig the sound and am looking to continue using them where I can. My main issue would be the venting (not isolating like a sealed ba only unit) and the position near the mmcx connector which picks up wind noise when out and about and interferes with the sound.
The ibasso it00 cleverly has both vent holes facing toward the concha however this may impact the driver flex I have with that pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back