FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jan 2, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #811 of 2,767
I wanted to get some new IEMs to replace my Final Audio E5000 IEMs, and after several days of research, I purchased the FH3.

After listening to them for a few days now, I can say I definitely made the right purchase. The audio quality and comfort are both superior to the E5000. The E5000 are bass-head IEMs, which is nice, but there's just too much of it. The low end overpowers everything, and the mids and highs end up sounding veiled. In comparison, the FH3 are much more clear. There's plenty of low end, and the bass stays there, not interfering with the mids and highs. I would say instrument separation and soundstage are both superior to the E5000, which is a bit surprising, because the E5000 are vented to such a degree that sound leakage is a problem.

The FH3 are more comfortable to wear for longer periods than the E5000. After a couple of hours, I'd have to remove the E5000 for a break. With the FH3, I barely notice they're there.

Lastly, the FH3's cable is much nicer to deal with than the E5000's cable, which is obnoxiously stiff and annoying. The FH3's cable is soft and tangle-free.

Price paid for Final E5000: US$279
Price paid for FiiO FH3: US$130

Proof that "more expensive" doesn't always mean "better." Very happy with my purchase!

Sources used for both IEMs: FiiO Q1 MkII and Radsone EarStudio ES100.

Jan 2, 2021 at 6:24 AM Post #812 of 2,767
After listening over 50 hours, upgrading them with a good 2.5mm balanced cable and using the Qudelix 5K, the FH3 has really grown on me and I prefer them now over my H40 and the orbs.

Using the stock bass tips they're incredibly comfortable, but I have a little bit driver flex.

Sometimes I would like to have a bigger soundstage or a more spacious sound and also they are sometimes too forward sounding for me (I like a really relaxed and laid back sound signature). But overall they are quite stunning for the price. Almost insane and a total no brainer.

Jan 2, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #813 of 2,767
I wanted to get some new IEMs to replace my Final Audio E5000 IEMs, and after several days of research, I purchased the FH3.

After listening to them for a few days now, I can say I definitely made the right purchase. The audio quality and comfort are both superior to the E5000. The E5000 are bass-head IEMs, which is nice, but there's just too much of it. The low end overpowers everything, and the mids and highs end up sounding veiled. In comparison, the FH3 are much more clear. There's plenty of low end, and the bass stays there, not interfering with the mids and highs. I would say instrument separation and soundstage are both superior to the E5000, which is a bit surprising, because the E5000 are vented to such a degree that sound leakage is a problem.

The FH3 are more comfortable to wear for longer periods than the E5000. After a couple of hours, I'd have to remove the E5000 for a break. With the FH3, I barely notice they're there.

Lastly, the FH3's cable is much nicer to deal with than the E5000's cable, which is obnoxiously stiff and annoying. The FH3's cable is soft and tangle-free.

Price paid for Final E5000: US$279
Price paid for FiiO FH3: US$130

Proof that "more expensive" doesn't always mean "better." Very happy with my purchase!

Sources used for both IEMs: FiiO Q1 MkII and Radsone EarStudio ES100.
After listening over 50 hours, upgrading them with a good 2.5mm balanced cable and using the Qudelix 5K, the FH3 has really grown on me and I prefer them now over my H40 and the orbs.

Using the stock bass tips they're incredibly comfortable, but I have a little bit driver flex.

Sometimes I would like to have a bigger soundstage or a more spacious sound and also they are sometimes too forward sounding for me (I like a really relaxed and laid back sound signature). But overall they are quite stunning for the price. Almost insane and a total no brainer.
Listening to the incredible and stunning FH3 now, paired with the EM Sparrow + Tidal MQA/Qobuz. This is indeed FiiO's masterpiece. Life couldn't be better. : )

Jan 2, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #814 of 2,767
I already have the BLON BL03 and like the bass in those but they are not "clearer" sounding like you described the FH3 which I really like a lot. I haven't tried any of the Moondrop IEMs but I have heard of the KXXS and Starfields. Out of the three Moondrops, which one do you think suits me better after listening to the FH3? I still have the FH3 and have a month to return them again for the fourth time. Should I deal with the warranty after the 30 day return period is over? I really do appreciate your help and suggestions. Thanks to those who responded as well.
My aplogies for jumping in on the conversation. I think the Starfields are stellar and deserve the accolades and hype, especially for the price. I would not say their bass, though quite competent and present, is their strongest suits. Their greatest strength is tuning, tonality, and midrange quality. The KXXS, per many reviews and Moondrop themselves, is a slightly brighter and tighter than the Starfield but very close in most everything sonically.

From your posts, it seems like the FD1 might be an IEM to consider. I can vouch that the FiiO FD1 has excellent bass quantity and quality, especially for the price. The FD1 has excellent tuning throughout the range but lacks some detail. The FD1 is an “emotional” IEM.

I hope that helps

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #815 of 2,767
I am planning to buy a pair of FH3 but the only thing that is holding me back is the Bass (especially mid-bass kick and quantity). I'm afraid there would be too much bass for me (not a bass-head at all). Coming from a neutral IEM like FA1.
I like sub-bass though and I mostly listen to rock and metal and am very ok with a decent and average amount of bass for the sake of the genres. But I'm really trying to avoid too much bass.
Can anyone here help me so I may figure this out?

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #816 of 2,767
I am planning to buy a pair of FH3 but the only thing that is holding me back is the Bass (especially mid-bass kick and quantity). I'm afraid there would be too much bass for me (not a bass-head at all). Coming a from a neutral IEM like FA1.
I like sub-bass though and I mostly listen to rock and metal and am very ok with a decent a average amount of bass for the sake of the genres. But I'm really trying to avoid too much bass.
It does have a lot of bass quantity, it is however very high quality (very fast, tight and textured) so it isnt actually bleeding into the rest of the sound. Thats why it is a very good iem for rock/metal (and other genres) because it is both fun and clean at the same time.

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #817 of 2,767
I am planning to buy a pair of FH3 but the only thing that is holding me back is the Bass (especially mid-bass kick and quantity). I'm afraid there would be too much bass for me (not a bass-head at all). Coming a from a neutral IEM like FA1.
I like sub-bass though and I mostly listen to rock and metal and am very ok with a decent a average amount of bass for the sake of the genres. But I'm really trying to avoid too much bass.
You need the Shure SRH940. It's a headphone - with awesome sub-bass, but slightly restrained mid-bass. It does vocals and acoustics better than any headphone I have heard. I have the FH3 also, and if you are willing to check out the 940, it should work for you. It has the resolution of the FH3 with the goodness of an open back hp in a closed back. A somewhat odd set of qualifications, but by hell, it works.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #818 of 2,767
Should consider FH3 or not when i already have T2 Plus? Are they sidegrade or an upgrade?
Note: Never hear any knowles BA before, just KZ's 😅

Jan 5, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #819 of 2,767
You need the Shure SRH940. It's a headphone - with awesome sub-bass, but slightly restrained mid-bass. It does vocals and acoustics better than any headphone I have heard. I have the FH3 also, and if you are willing to check out the 940, it should work for you. It has the resolution of the FH3 with the goodness of a open back hp in a closed back. A somewhat odd set of qualifications, but by hell, it works.
Wow thanks I will definitely check that. About FH3, Cause I'm very "treble" and High "sensitive" do you think it would make a problem in any way?

Jan 5, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #820 of 2,767
Wow thanks I will definitely check that. About FH3, Cause I'm very "treble" and High "sensitive" do you think it would make a problem in any way?
graph (17).png

Shouldnt be a problem when you can handle the FA1 (more bass, will make you perceive less of the treble as well).

Jan 5, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #821 of 2,767

Shouldnt be a problem when you can handle the FA1 (more bass, will make you perceive less of the treble as well).
That graph gave me a great perspective! Thank you very much my friend.
I'm also looking at another IEM that is less in the spotlight. Oriolus Finschi (From the Japanese company well known for the legendary MK II) currently at $180. That set is also describe as more mature but a little on the bright side (I'm also interested to see It's Graph compared to both of these). And a question: the brightness mostly come from/the result of the Treble/High frequencies, right?

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #822 of 2,767
That graph gave me a great perspective! Thank you very much my friend.
I'm also looking at another IEM that is less in the spotlight. Oriolus Finschi (From the Japanese company well known for the legendary MK II) currently at $180. That set is also describe as more mature but a little on the bright side (I'm also interested to see It's Graph compared to both of these). And a question: the brightness mostly come from/the result of the Treble/High frequencies, right?
graph (18).png

FA1 = blue
FH3= green
Finschi = Purple

Lots of bass on the Finschi, probably not as good in quality as the FH3 either.

Yes, you are right that brightness comes from the treble. But it can also come from the lack of bass since you perceive treble as more if the bass is really low.

An example of that would be the Tin Hifi P1
graph (19).png

Treble is less than the FH3, but since it has much less bass quantity. It ends up being brighter than the FH3 overall.

Jan 5, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #823 of 2,767

FA1 = blue
FH3= green
Finschi = Purple

Lots of bass on the Finschi, probably not as good in quality as the FH3 either.

Yes, you are right that brightness comes from the treble. But it can also come from the lack of bass since you perceive treble as more if the bass is really low.

An example of that would be the Tin Hifi P1

Treble is less than the FH3, but since it has much less bass quantity. It ends up being brighter than the FH3 overall.
The beautiful world of graphs! :) Thank you very much you've been the most efficient help I got in weeks.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #824 of 2,767
The beautiful world of graphs! :wink:) Thank you very much you've been the most efficient help I got in weeks.
np, do keep in mind that graphs only tell a tiny part of the entire sound.

Jan 5, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #825 of 2,767
I am planning to buy a pair of FH3 but the only thing that is holding me back is the Bass (especially mid-bass kick and quantity). I'm afraid there would be too much bass for me (not a bass-head at all). Coming from a neutral IEM like FA1.
I like sub-bass though and I mostly listen to rock and metal and am very ok with a decent and average amount of bass for the sake of the genres. But I'm really trying to avoid too much bass.
I'm not a basshead, I prefer generally balanced IEMs, I really like the FH3 and the bass quantity is very rarely too much. Like others have said it's very tight and fast, very little bleed at all so it's a clean sound.
Should consider FH3 or not when i already have T2 Plus? Are they sidegrade or an upgrade?
Note: Never hear any knowles BA before, just KZ's 😅
Slight to moderate upgrade IMO depending on your priorities, generally similar tuning, definitely better technicalities with the FH3 but worse timbre than the T2+. The FH3 also has much better isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back