FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Dec 4, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #766 of 2,767
I got a pair of these and I am NOT regretting it. I have a pair of the original FH1 that has lasted me a couple years now (seriously, I know that Fiio can have some quality-control issues with connectors and drivers dying, but my FH1's seem to be eternal and undying lol), and I figured the FH3 would be a nice upgrade.

Well, they're an AMAZING upgrade! The FH1 sounded great for their price at the time a few years ago, but have since been far outstripped by other IEM's in the $100 range. Now I got the FH3 for only $30 more than I got the FH1 for, and they sound LEAGUES better. More detail, resolution, a bit more soundstage, better imaging, etc. They sound fantastic already from my laptop with the iFi iEMatch plugged in, and even better from my Hiby R3!

Now I'm crossing my fingers that I got lucky again like with my FH1's and that these don't have any QC issues; I got a protection-plan with them, at least, but I'll still be quite upset if they die on me in a couple months or something. If I do run into QC issues, I may post about it on here. I've heard many horror stories about Fiio customer-service being unresponsive about warranty coverage, but it seems that there are Fiio reps monitoring this thread.

So, does anyone have recommendations on good equalizer settings in Foobar2000, as well as on something like a standard 10-band graphic EQ, to make these more neutral and analytical sounding when I decide I want that? I love their warm-but-detailed tuning, but nevertheless I'd like to SOMETIMES have a more neutral option. I've unfortunately never been able to get Peace Equalizer to work on my computer, so I have to resort to graphic equalizers, and I like to use the 10-band equalizer on my Hiby R3 anyway.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #767 of 2,767
I got a pair of these and I am NOT regretting it. I have a pair of the original FH1 that has lasted me a few years now (seriously, I know that Fiio can have some quality-control issues with connectors and drivers dying, but my FH1's seem to be eternal and undying lol), and I figured the FH3 would be a nice upgrade.

Well, they're an AMAZING upgrade! The FH1 sounded great for their price at the time a few years ago, but have since been far outstripped by other IEM's in the $100 range. Now I got the FH3 for only $30 more than I got the FH1 for, and they sound LEAGUES better. More detail, resolution, a bit more soundstage, better imaging, etc. They sound fantastic already from my laptop with the iFi iEMatch plugged in, and even better from my Hiby R3!

Now I'm crossing my fingers that I got lucky again like with my FH1's and that these don't have any QC issues; I got a protection-plan with them, at least, but I'll still be quite upset if they die on me in a couple months or something. If I do run into QC issues, I may post about it on here. I've heard many horror stories about Fiio customer-service being unresponsive about warranty coverage, but it seems that there are Fiio reps monitoring this thread.

So, does anyone have recommendations on good equalizer settings in Foobar2000, as well as on something like a standard 10-band graphic EQ, to make these more neutral and analytical sounding when I decide I want that? I love their warm-but-detailed tuning, but nevertheless I'd like to SOMETIMES have a more neutral option. I've unfortunately never been able to get Peace Equalizer to work on my computer, so I have to resort to graphic equalizers, and I like to use the 10-band equalizer on my Hiby R3 anyway.
My equalizer to get them from fun to more analytical was to get pure silver cable and put wide bore tips (sedna azla short). I like hardware eq :) perhaps software tweaks will let you make something similar. But can't say here.

Dec 4, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #768 of 2,767
I bought a pair of FiiO FA1 and I really dig the clarity and coherency in them (I would like a bit or even more than a bit bass rumble and extension and a bigger soundstage)
but the main problem with the FA1 is that the shell is a tad big for my ears and if I push them far into my ears to get a good seal, it sucks all the air and make a really uncomfortable environment. (I can literally hear my heartbeat banging in my head!)
So FH3 can be an upgrade for my FA1s in both comfort and sound or not?

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #770 of 2,767
I bought a pair of FiiO FA1 and I really dig the clarity and coherency in them (I would like a bit or even more than a bit bass rumble and extension and a bigger soundstage)
but the main problem with the FA1 is that the shell is a tad big for my ears and if I push them far into my ears to get a good seal, it sucks all the air and make a really uncomfortable environment. (I can literally hear my heart beat banging in my head!)
Im pretty sensible to this as well and struggled with other IEMs but had zero problems with the FH3. The fit is amazing and the seal doesn't make a unconfortable void like others.

Dec 6, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #772 of 2,767
but the main problem with the FA1 is that the shell is a tad big for my ears and if I push them far into my ears to get a good seal, it sucks all the air and make a really uncomfortable environment. (I can literally hear my heartbeat banging in my head!)
FH3 is smaller than FA1.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 14, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #774 of 2,767
Hey,

I received the FH3 today and wanted to know what the differences are between the different tips (all black, black with red nozzles, white with red nozzles)?

Thanks
I might be wrong but I think that the all black are the balanced ones, black and red boost the bass a bit and white red boost vocals.
I personally prefer the black and red tips get the best out of the Fh3.

Dec 14, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #775 of 2,767
Thanks for your answer.

I'm comparing them right now to the ISN H40 and Penon Orb. With both I never had the need for a headphone amp but I read that the FH3 benefit a lot more from an amp than other IEMs. Is that the case?

I ordered the Qudelix 5K but the german post has some delay.

And I really need to change the cable.

Dec 14, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #776 of 2,767
Thanks for your answer.

I'm comparing them right now to the ISN H40 and Penon Orb. With both I never had the need for a headphone amp but I read that the FH3 benefit a lot more from an amp than other IEMs. Is that the case?

I run them on my Fiio Btr5 and my Xiaomi MI 10 lite and didn't feel that they are power hungry. My phone handle them pretty actually.
About the cable, the stock one is pretty decent but of course it can be improved, im using a TRN3 silver cable and it sounds better in my opinion.

Dec 14, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #777 of 2,767
Thanks for your answer.

I would like to read some of your thoughs about this comparison

Dec 15, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #779 of 2,767
I would like to read some of your thoughs about this comparison
Just a short impression.

The Orb has the best (sub-)bass, faster and cleaner than the bass of the H40 and the FH3. Between them it's a tie for me (H40 little bit more prominent in the mid-bass).
Mids and highs is a tie between the H40 and the FH3 (I'm a bit more drawn to the H40), with the Orb there is missing something. They lack of (mid-)highs, so they sound a bit dull and lifeless for my taste.

I prefer the H40 soundwise over the FH3 because they have this special something. When I switch between both of them, then there is always this "yes, there it is"-feeling with the H40. It's just more fun. Also the soundstage is way better on the H40. It's bigger in width and height and the hole sound is more spacious.
Separation is a little bit better on the FH3 because the mid-bass of the H40 can sometimes bloat into the mids.

On the other hand I have zero driver flex with the FH3, this is sometimes a problem with the H40.
Also they are way smaller and more comfortable. The FH3 are almost a little bit too small, I have to push them really deep into my ears to get decent seal.
No problems with the H40.
The Orbs (I don't know why) just don't work with my ears. I don't get a decent fit and seal.

Isolation is quite the same using Xelastecs tips.

I'm going to test more, these are just quick impressions after 2 hours listening in total.

Dec 15, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #780 of 2,767
Just a short impression.

The Orb has the best (sub-)bass, faster and cleaner than the bass of the H40 and the FH3. Between them it's a tie for me (H40 little bit more prominent in the mid-bass).
Mids and highs is a tie between the H40 and the FH3 (I'm a bit more drawn to the H40), with the Orb there is missing something. They lack of (mid-)highs, so they sound a bit dull and lifeless for my taste.

I prefer the H40 soundwise over the FH3 because they have this special something. When I switch between both of them, then there is always this "yes, there it is"-feeling with the H40. It's just more fun. Also the soundstage is way better on the H40. It's bigger in width and height and the hole sound is more spacious.
Separation is a little bit better on the FH3 because the mid-bass of the H40 can sometimes bloat into the mids.

On the other hand I have zero driver flex with the FH3, this is sometimes a problem with the H40.
Also they are way smaller and more comfortable. The FH3 are almost a little bit too small, I have to push them really deep into my ears to get decent seal.
No problems with the H40.
The Orbs (I don't know why) just don't work with my ears. I don't get a decent fit and seal.

Isolation is quite the same using Xelastecs tips.

I'm going to test more, these are just quick impressions after 2 hours listening in total.
Nice thoughts and waiting for your brief impressions/comparison , thanks for your nice work 😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back