[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
Jun 18, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #1,651 of 1,922
Everybody has a different taste, beat is to figure it out yourself. Anyways I found this here somewhere, so not mine. Guy used Fiio X3II's eq. Hope it helps

Attachments

• FiiO_X3_II_EQ_settings_for_FH7.jpg
    FiiO_X3_II_EQ_settings_for_FH7.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 0
Jun 20, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #1,653 of 1,922
Does anyone know where can I buy the FH7 bass tips? Those work best for me but it doesn't look like those are made by Spinfit.
Dear user,

You could try to contact support@fiio.com about that.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 21, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #1,654 of 1,922
Struggling with my new fh7 purchased from amazon uk. I can't get a decent sound from any of the supplied tips and they seem too big for my ears. No dynamic range at all and it's all very 2d. Maybe I am doing something wrong... But I prefer my blon03.

Jun 21, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #1,655 of 1,922
Struggling with my new fh7 purchased from amazon uk. I can't get a decent sound from any of the supplied tips and they seem too big for my ears. No dynamic range at all and it's all very 2d. Maybe I am doing something wrong... But I prefer my blon03.

There must be a problem with the tips or with the IEMs. In my ears the FH7 have a huge and completely 3d soundstage, even more than the Solaris. I use the SpinFit CP145 L size (blue tube).

But the Blon also have a very good soundstage.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #1,657 of 1,922
Beyond the supplied tips, have you tried the various filters, in the black capsule ?

Jun 21, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #1,658 of 1,922
Tried the filters. They do change the sound but not the quality. I have always struggled with tips for iems. Sennheiser ie800 are much better for me, although I had to keep changing the tips. Eventually settled with non-sennheiser ones. Not giving up on the Fiio just yet tho'

Jun 30, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #1,659 of 1,922
Just got these. Bought because I the traits I value most are clarity (an extended and elevated [versus Harman target] treble response + lack of upper bass/lower midrange muddiness & congestion), instrument separation, and detail retrieval.

The FH7 does all of those things extremely well. And it does all of this without sounding unnatural, sibilant, or "weird" in any way whatsoever - a beautifully balanced bright sound signature. Instrument separation, in particular, seems to be perfect. As in, I don't think it could be better than this, literally. As in, I don't care what technology comes out in the future, it won't do instrument separation better. I hear everything my ears are capable of discerning, it seems. That is amazing, and is honestly worth thousands of dollars to me. I am also noticing details I never noticed before, and doing it easily. And, oh yeah, they sound fun and involving on top of all of this!

The only problem I have so far with them is that they are indeed a bit big, and the left monitor in particular seems to be giving me issues, rubbing against my ear. This is definitely going to be a problem, but I am fine with suffering some very minor skin-level pain to listen to amazing sound. Hell, my $7 Panasonic RP-HT21 hurts the skin of my ears after maybe 1 hour of use, but I still go back to it when I want portable + situational awareness, and its sound isn't incredible (it absolutely is for the money, though - solid entry-level mid-fi sound, somewhat dark [but in a way I don't hate, somehow], with a fun and surprisingly well-controlled bass response).

I need to do a direct comparison, but I think the FH7 beats the HD 800 S on all of those traits I value (near 100% sure it beats the 800 S on instrument separation, which isn't as good on the 800 S as I expected, and the same goes for detail retrieval)... And although I don't dislike the HD 800 S's lack of bass presence, it is very nice that the bass is definitely present in the FH7, since a decent portion of my Spotify music collection is bass-heavy.

Currently using my "New Bee" memory foam tips (just $6.99 on Amazon for 2 pairs of each size), M size, as they seem to work very well with my ears (both physically and sound-wise), and I used them for my former favorite IEM, the BLON BL-03 (which is very good for the sound signature it goes for, but the FH7 is much more in line with what I want, and there is no contest on clarity, instrument separation, and detail retrieval - 10X price difference, though, haha).

As for other IEMs I have that I feel like mentioning just so people interested in this IEM can have a better idea of my preferences to compare to their own, I have the Linsoul KZ ZS10 Pro (v-shaped, which I like OK, but a sibilant and low-quality treble, and the whole signature doesn't convey emotion well/lacks musicality), and the Shouer Tape (horribly overrated and overpriced s**t - the Tape has garbage treble and the rest of the frequency response is "whatever" [I didn't care to pay much attention, since the treble was so bad] - disappointing, since I love my Stax SR-202's treble).

Jun 30, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #1,660 of 1,922
Just got these. Bought because I the traits I value most are clarity (an extended and elevated [versus Harman target] treble response + lack of upper bass/lower midrange muddiness & congestion), instrument separation, and detail retrieval.

Agreed, FH7 have really great treble and sub-bass. Not sure why it gets average rating from pro reviewers. Shuoer Tape is so hyped everywhere but I can't imagine how dark it must be as in lacking treble.

I use the Bass tips it came with which give me nice crispy highs while maintaining the bass.

Jul 3, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #1,662 of 1,922
For me it is better (actually it's the LC-3.5D vs. the LC-3.5C in my case). More detailed, clearer and more impulsive.

Jul 6, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #1,663 of 1,922
For me it is better (actually it's the LC-3.5D vs. the LC-3.5C in my case). More detailed, clearer and more impulsive.

Tnx for reply.Is it huge difference? I was ordering the cable and fiio btr5.But the btr5 was discontinued from the web shop.So i cancelled the order.Cant use the balanced cable with my audioquest dragonfly cobalt 😔

Jul 6, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #1,664 of 1,922
Tnx for reply.Is it huge difference? I was ordering the cable and fiio btr5.But the btr5 was discontinued from the web shop.So i cancelled the order.Cant use the balanced cable with my audioquest dragonfly cobalt 😔

I think the difference is clearly noticeable. If you perceive it as positive depends on your system. Some users perceive the FH7 as bright (which I can reproduce), and the silver cable seems to amplify this trait, although the upmost treble which it makes more pronounced actually isn't the culprit.

In my view cables can only subtract from the signal, they don't add anything (unlike amps with their harmonic distortion), at least not in terms of tonal balance. So in my perception the LC-3.5D «reproduces» transients with their original sharp edges (or close to it), whereas the LC-3.5C has a tendency to round them – maybe in a pleasing way, but it's a loss that can hardly be compensated. This in contrast to some brightness or hardness originating from a corresponding treble accentuation (from the system or the head-/earphone, resp.).

A further problem is that many users prefer ear tips made of silicone instead of foam. This because they provide more treble sparkle and a seemingly extended high-frequency response. Personally I stay away from silicone tips, because their sleek surface inevitably generates reflections between ear drum and driver and generally within the cavity there in the ear canal. Hence the added sparkle and the frequency-response extension just consist of artificially created parasitic sound waves. Foam is much better suited for high-quality (high-fidelity) music reproduction, as its absorption properties make for a decent damping of these vermins.

Moreover: I found out that the empty «treble filter» sounds best (also: smoothest), even though it may add a homeopathic dose of treble again. In fact in most cases where you have the choice between various acoustic filters the least effective (e.g. an empty tube) is the best choice. That's my configuration with the Shure SE846 as well, despite the resulting treble excess, which needs to be decreased beforehand (vie EQ). There are only rare cases where a filter also has the function of a resonance damper (against transmissionline resonances in the IEM canals). In any event it's best to not create excessive sound waves in the first place with the intention to damp them away retroactively, as every filter element represents an unwanted abrupt change of acoustic impedance and is prone to muddy the sound. Moreover: needless membrane excurions are an unnecessary source of harmonic distortion and deteriorated impulse response.

So it boils down to equalizing if the sound with the silver cable doesn't match your sonic ideal in cooperation with the FH7. Better than replacing one evil with another.

Jul 6, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #1,665 of 1,922
A couple of notes after using the FH7 for almost a week:
  • I was hyperbolic when saying that the instrument separation is "perfect," but it is extremely good. If that is something you value, the FH7 shouldn't disappoint.
  • As some people have mentioned (IIRC), the bass tips are the best (haven't tried the vocal tips, but if those tips up ~500Hz, I won't like them at all). The physical ear issue I mentioned is also lessened.
  • A couple signs that the tips you are using aren't working with the FH7 are: sibilance and weirdly "deconstructed" (like it is being spread apart, and you can hear elements that make it up, instead of a coherent tone) bass. I experienced both issues with the Spinfit and Flange tips, and mostly only the bass issues with the Balanced and my New Bee tips.
  • The FH7, with the right tips and fit, is reference quality, and on top of that, is a very engaging/fun listen. If you want a sound that is in any way "laid back," the FH7 is not for you.
I continue to think that the FH7 is amazing and underpriced (I bet it would be taken more seriously on this forum if it were $1500+). I am no longer interested in buying more IEMs nor even another fullsize headphone, since the FH7 is so close to perfect, and I think anything I would buy would be a downgrade in one way or another. I will likely be upgrading my source to a ADI-2 DAC FS (my amp is a Drop THX AAA 789). I have been using the FH7 almost exclusively (using the Panasonics I mentioned last post when I want to quickly throw something on and don't care about quality so much), and I prefer it to the my former favorite, the HD 800 S, which only has a wide soundstage and maybe a sense of "openness" (which may just be due to the fact that I can hear the outside world clearly) over the FH7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back