[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
Feb 16, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #1,547 of 1,922
i have the Andromeda as well as the FH7, they are a pretty good complement.

I am going to try the Andromeda in a few weeks. I will wait until then to make a decision, but the Andromeda is twice the price of the S8F (or the FH7). :)

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #1,548 of 1,922
I am going to try the Andromeda in a few weeks. I will wait until then to make a decision, but the Andromeda is twice the price of the S8F (or the FH7). :)
I have invested in many fiio products (fa1, fa7, fh5, btr1k. btr3, and q5) but with the current problems in China with Corona-virus and their production problems along with my personal problems with fiio in obtaining a fiio am3b or am3d I would not be in the market for further fiio products.(It is now 14 months that I have been waiting for either fiio am3b or am3d.)

I would rather invest in products with optimal customer service like Campfire Audio. I now value customer service more than price.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #1,549 of 1,922
@Tooros Your question prompted me to compare Fh7 with Isn H40 on my Hiby R6. H40 sounds thicker and fuller with better room feel in its soundstage. H40 soundstage is more 3-dimensional while Fh7 sounds more airy, ambient and open. H40 actually more bassy. Fh7 with balanced filter (I lost rest of them, so cannot try) has rather bright treble especially upper part as compared to H40, so if you are coming from a single DD like Kanas pro, prepare for the shock of details and resolution. To my ears Fh7 sound stage is a bit too open and sounds too diffused as compared to H40, ibasso it01 or Blon bl03 which have more traditional stage type.
Also worth mentioning that Hiby went out of their way to make frequency response as extended as possible so it would make FH7 treble even less forgiving. I like R6 I wouldn't go for pro as pro may hiss. R6 drives Fh7 well but will reveal compression artifacts @ upper treble even more. Fh7 shines on good HD or lossless recordings out of R6. Resolution is on the next level after H40 which trebble sounds grainy in comparison.
R6 is a good DAP to drive Fh7 but beware that Fh7 is not for the faint of heart when it comes to trebble. That's often the price for engaging and resolving sound.
Also, the are so many choices with more tame treble like any of IMR that use planar for the mids and lower highs. If you can get Rah or similar. Imr has good tunings. Tri I3 has planar for mids as well. Im waiting for mine. Dunu dk3001 similar to fh7 with more traditional tuning but in the same class. BTW Dunu would be my choice if it was available at the time. It has large beryllium bass as well.

Feb 16, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #1,550 of 1,922
@Tooros Your question prompted me to compare Fh7 with Isn H40 on my Hiby R6. H40 sounds thicker and fuller with better room feel in its soundstage. H40 soundstage is more 3-dimensional while Fh7 sounds more airy, ambient and open. H40 actually more bassy. Fh7 with balanced filter (I lost rest of them, so cannot try) has rather bright treble especially upper part as compared to H40, so if you are coming from a single DD like Kanas pro, prepare for the shock of details and resolution. To my ears Fh7 sound stage is a bit too open and sounds too diffused as compared to H40, ibasso it01 or Blon bl03 which have more traditional stage type.
Also worth mentioning that Hiby went out of their way to make frequency response as extended as possible so it would make FH7 treble even less forgiving. I like R6 I wouldn't go for pro as pro may hiss. R6 drives Fh7 well but will reveal compression artifacts @ upper treble even more. Fh7 shines on good HD or lossless recordings out of R6. Resolution is on the next level after H40 which trebble sounds grainy in comparison.
R6 is a good DAP to drive Fh7 but beware that Fh7 is not for the faint of heart when it comes to trebble. That's often the price for engaging and resolving sound.
Also, the are so many choices with more tame treble like any of IMR that use planar for the mids and lower highs. If you can get Rah or similar. Imr has good tunings. Tri I3 has planar for mids as well. Im waiting for mine. Dunu dk3001 similar to fh7 with more traditional tuning but in the same class. BTW Dunu would be my choice if it was available at the time. It has large beryllium bass as well.
@Owludio Thank you so very much for that. That’s fantastic of you to put that effort in. Hugely appreciated.

Feb 16, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #1,551 of 1,922
I think FH7 is a very musical IEM, and now I want a detail beast (but I want it sounds well too). That’s the reason I have been thinking about S8F.
Im curious, what makes you think that S8f is a detail monster as compared to Fh7? I owned S8p and while S8p had very delicious sound, I knew that bass will be a comprise but with excellenti solation as compared to fh7 it was going to be my isolating option. I already knew that BGGAR review is not the best source to get accurate impression on the bass. I learned the hard way and still keep my DM6 as a reminder. Both have BA bass rolled off at 50Hz.
Bass resolution is not inferior on FH7. Mids and treble resolution to my ears was superior on FH7 as well.
BA transducers perform the best at low volume. That's why on busy, aggressive music more BA may reduce load on each one and thus reduce distortions that typically mess up resolution.
So theoretically 8 drivers are better than 5.
But the reality is that Beryllium DD off FH7 covers bass and low mids leaving only half of the range to 4 BA. In S8 2 BA cover bass, 2 - mids which makes load distribution about the same.
I ended up missing that sub buss on F8p, even though S8P had better sub bass extension (at least according to graph) than S8f. Sold it and got myself Audiosense t800 for commute.
So beware of BA bass!

Feb 17, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #1,552 of 1,922
Im curious, what makes you think that S8f is a detail monster as compared to Fh7? I owned S8p and while S8p had very delicious sound, I knew that bass will be a comprise but with excellenti solation as compared to fh7 it was going to be my isolating option. I already knew that BGGAR review is not the best source to get accurate impression on the bass. I learned the hard way and still keep my DM6 as a reminder. Both have BA bass rolled off at 50Hz.
Bass resolution is not inferior on FH7. Mids and treble resolution to my ears was superior on FH7 as well.
BA transducers perform the best at low volume. That's why on busy, aggressive music more BA may reduce load on each one and thus reduce distortions that typically mess up resolution.
So theoretically 8 drivers are better than 5.
But the reality is that Beryllium DD off FH7 covers bass and low mids leaving only half of the range to 4 BA. In S8 2 BA cover bass, 2 - mids which makes load distribution about the same.
I ended up missing that sub buss on F8p, even though S8P had better sub bass extension (at least according to graph) than S8f. Sold it and got myself Audiosense t800 for commute.
So beware of BA bass!

I believe that due to the review and the comments of the new BGGAR list, basically. Also because, at least in my ears, the FH7 do not seem very detailed, they seem too musical to me and they sound like with a veil that makes them very sweet, which is something that fits very well with certain albums or musical styles, but not with others.
Regarding what you say about the graphics, I do not belive in making any direct conclusions from them (from experience), except maybe to discard some IEMs with peaks at certain frequencies that I know I don't like (about 2 or 4 khz).

What other option do you know better than the S8F, that have better details than the FH7, maintaining a good tonality? I will be able to try them Andromeda in a while, but I would like to be able to find a cheaper option (on the price of the FH7 if possible).

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #1,553 of 1,922
I currently have the FH7, used to own the S8F and Andromeda... From your comments I suspect you'll be very happy with the S8F...

Feb 24, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #1,556 of 1,922
According to their site, those tips have an inner diameter that's ~5.4mm so they should fit in theory (they recommend ~5.5mm max) . Might be a bit loose though, the CP145 tips that come included is 4.5mm and it's a snug fit.
I favor the same spinfit CP145 size as well, and find a tighter fit on the nozzle gives better over all results.

Mar 2, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #1,558 of 1,922
Is the FH7 discontinued? Just noticed they're removed from Fiio's Aliexpress store.
It might be in company with fiio's am3b, am3d, and the others of their products that are delayed and given little explanation.

I might add that with the corona-virus shipments from China are sharply down; it is unknown if its because of limited production or shipping restraints; it could be both.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #1,560 of 1,922
Actually am3b and am3d is discountiued. Had somthing to do whit thx license.
It might be in company with fiio's am3b, am3d, and the others of their products that are delayed and given little explanation.

I might add that with the corona-virus shipments from China are sharply down; it is unknown if its because of limited production or shipping restraints; it could be both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back