[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
Jul 30, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #856 of 1,922
those of us willing to shell out the extra money for the 20%

The thing is... as I go up and up, the sometimes imperceptible increase in perceived quality is what allows me to transcend from listening to a bit of recorded music to a whole different experience. It becomes, at least for me, an event rather than just "listening to music". I find I don't listen anymore to facets of sound, the bass, the treble, etc, but some rather cool transformation takes place.

Qualitatively speaking I can't even put my finger on "better this or better that" any more. It just happens.

PS... For me, that's a sign of endgame. I'm there at the moment, with FH7+M11

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #857 of 1,922
seriously overachieved with the FH7, or other IEMs are seriously overpriced.

Bit of both :)

It's always excellent for us as consumers when a breakthrough product comes on the the market. The bar is raised.

I’ve auditioned Andromeda quite extensively, and personally I wouldn’t get Andromeda even it was the same price as the FH7.

I had a good go with the Andro's when I was getting the FH5's and didn't find them as thrilling as the FH7's, there's an awesome soundstage with the Andro's and an excellent vocal capability, but they didn't grab me by the proverbials in any way the same as the FH7's have done.

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #858 of 1,922
The thing is... as I go up and up, the sometimes imperceptible increase in perceived quality is what allows me to transcend from listening to a bit of recorded music to a whole different experience. It becomes, at least for me, an event rather than just "listening to music". I find I don't listen anymore to facets of sound, the bass, the treble, etc, but some rather cool transformation takes place.

Qualitatively speaking I can't even put my finger on "better this or better that" any more. It just happens.

PS... For me, that's a sign of endgame. I'm there at the moment, with FH7+M11
That's a great description, and I share your sentiments almost exactly. It's hard to put a finger on it - a bit more air here, an instrument I'd never heard before, the ability to move around the stage inside my head. All good and well, but it all adds up to stirring certain emotions inside of you when you listen to the music. I literally found myself shouting "yeah!" and "holy cr*p!" more than a few times while listening to the FH7 (after many months with the M11 + FH5 which I always believed to be outstanding).

This is what we're ultimately striving for: transcendence. I also agree that you can get to this place called "endgame" (I'm there too, for now...). You'll know it when you get there. There will always be "better" gear, but finding the combination that takes you a special place with your music, that's gold, and very often it doesn't have to cost anywhere near top dollar.

If all you want to do is listen to good music and not worry too much about it, this hobby probably isn't for you.

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #859 of 1,922
I had a good go with the Andro's when I was getting the FH5's and didn't find them as thrilling as the FH7's, there's an awesome soundstage with the Andro's and an excellent vocal capability, but they didn't grab me by the proverbials in any way the same as the FH7's have done.
I enjoyed the Andros, good build, decent fit. Spectacular treble, I have to say. So smooth and refined yet intricately detailed. Bass is what was lacking for me, and the mids could be a bit thin sometimes. Absolutely worth their reputation, but 'genre masters' like the FH7 they are not, nor are they as exciting or punchy (BA bass is generally BA bass - there's no air movement). The FH7 is both more exciting than the Andromeda and more refined than the FH5, and their comfort/fit is the best I've seen on the market. Haven't tested any of the top-tier IEMs, but judging by looks alone, many/most of them have deeper insertion nozzles that are a no-go for me.

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #860 of 1,922
That's a great description, and I share your sentiments almost exactly. It's hard to put a finger on it - a bit more air here, an instrument I'd never heard before, the ability to move around the stage inside my head. All good and well, but it all adds up to stirring certain emotions inside of you when you listen to the music. I literally found myself shouting "yeah!" and "holy cr*p!" more than a few times while listening to the FH7 (after many months with the M11 + FH5 which I always believed to be outstanding).

This is what we're ultimately striving for: transcendence. I also agree that you can get to this place called "endgame" (I'm there too, for now...). You'll know it when you get there.

There will always be "better" gear, but finding the combination that takes you a special place with your music, that's gold, and very often it doesn't have to cost anywhere near top dollar.

If all you want to do is listen to good music and not worry too much about it, this hobby probably isn't for you.

Definitely, It doesn't need to cost near top dollar. I've always been working towards that "enough" position with my gear.

A couple of anecdotes, I was listening to M11+FH7 early on, a few days after getting the pairing, out on a walk with the dog, in the middle of nowhere, I was literally stopped in my tracks, emotionally rooted to the spot, listening to Rumours (24-96) as if I was hearing it for the first time. Again this happened listening to Martha Says by John Mellencamp's Big Daddy, the drum sound and rhythm and emotion of the piece was overwhelming. Like you say those moments are worth more than worth gold!

The FH7 brings a real sense of life to the proceedings and the M11 a level of refinement and understanding which allows the FH7 to really do their stuff properly, that's the way I see it.

Now... I think also that this hobby for me, is a means to an end, and that's all... the end being the emotional connection to music. That's it, nothing more, nothing less. Smaller and more comfortable is better for sure. I sort of see what I carry around in my pocket now as some kind of crazy magic, lol.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #861 of 1,922
I sort of see what I carry around in my pocket now as some kind of crazy magic
Definitely, especially when I'm travelling abroad and can fire up Plex to browse through my entire library of lossless files thousands of miles away, and with one touch of the screen be streaming any song I want to my ears! Just thinking about that is mind-blowing, nevermind that I can also take hundreds of albums with me on a piece of plastic smaller than my fingernail!

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #862 of 1,922
Definitely, especially when I'm travelling abroad and can fire up Plex to browse through my entire library of lossless files thousands of miles away, and with one touch of the screen be streaming any song I want to my ears! Just thinking about that is mind-blowing, nevermind that I can also take hundreds of albums with me on a piece of plastic smaller than my fingernail!

Hah. I guess you must be of the same generation as I, brought up with cassette decks and amplifiers, and record players :) - I found a CD Walkman in the back of a closet the other day from... wow must be 30 years ago. We were over the moon with it then too :)

I even remember when I was really young, back in the 70's, we had one of those record players which suspended the record and it fell onto the platter with a clunk. You could somehow stack them up for multiplay but I never understood that bit, lol.

Jul 30, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #863 of 1,922
I think the FH7 are pretty much unmatched at this price point when you consider SQ, fit, comfort, build, accessories and isolation (which is slightly below average).

Genre master indeed. Works with anything.

Jul 31, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #865 of 1,922
A couple of anecdotes, I was listening to M11+FH7 early on, a few days after getting the pairing, out on a walk with the dog, in the middle of nowhere, I was literally stopped in my tracks, emotionally rooted to the spot, listening to Rumours (24-96) as if I was hearing it for the first time. Again this happened listening to Martha Says by John Mellencamp's Big Daddy, the drum sound and rhythm and emotion of the piece was overwhelming. Like you say those moments are worth more than worth gold!

The FH7 brings a real sense of life to the proceedings and the M11 a level of refinement and understanding which allows the FH7 to really do their stuff properly, that's the way I see it.

Now... I think also that this hobby for me, is a means to an end, and that's all... the end being the emotional connection to music. That's it, nothing more, nothing less. Smaller and more comfortable is better for sure. I sort of see what I carry around in my pocket now as some kind of crazy magic, lol.

That’s what’s music has supose to do emotional response.

When the tears are behind the eye’s that’s emotional response to music.

No matter what gear you have.

Enjoy your music guy’s

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #866 of 1,922
The M11 and FH7 is indeed a good combo. Especially balanced mode. Feels like they were made for each other.

I’m excited and waiting on the M11 Pro.

Aug 4, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #867 of 1,922
These sound amazing! I'm not sure whether I enjoy the black or green filter more, though.

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #868 of 1,922
These sound amazing! I'm not sure whether I enjoy the black or green filter more, though.

Its hard to pick because the black one sounds a bit more congested while easing the brightness, whereas the green ones sound more open but boosts the brightness to sibilant territory in some songs. It's a trade-off either way. I ended up sticking with the green one and EQing the edge off of the brightness. about 4 to 5 db decrease at 8500hz seems to do the trick for me.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #869 of 1,922
Its hard to pick because the black one sounds a bit more congested while easing the brightness, whereas the green ones sound more open but boosts the brightness to sibilant territory in some songs. It's a trade-off either way. I ended up sticking with the green one and EQing the edge off of the brightness. about 4 to 5 db decrease at 8500hz seems to do the trick for me.
I use the treble tips and Comply foams to temper the treble, it's, for me, perfect.

Aug 4, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #870 of 1,922
I use the treble tips and Comply foams to temper the treble, it's, for me, perfect.
I might go back to the black filters because the green is just a touch too bright on some tracks (not all) and while the bass is beautifully balanced with the green filters I sometimes want a touch more weight. I use Spiral Dots which turn up the clarity and smoothness, not mad about the comfort with foam tips although I use them on planes for isolation. I’ll juggle between black and red next.

Edit: the black filters definitely shave a touch of brightness off and subjectively make the bass more prominent (slightly warmer). This is especially notable in epic/orchestral tracks like audiomachine’s ‘The New Earth’ and Immediate Music’s ‘An Epic Age’, where judicious use of brighter stringed instruments and cymbal splashes can be a touch too strident with the green filters at higher volumes. The black filters make these tracks sound a hair more congested, but I think it’s a fair compromise given how fatiguing the overload of brighter sounds can be after a while. The effect might be less pronounced with other types of music and better recorded tracks of course.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back