[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
Jul 23, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #811 of 1,922
Glad you settled on there Spiral Dots. Those are my favourite tips by far. On the FH5 they 'just' give me enough of a seal. On the FH7 they're perfectly wedged in and don't move (even when I yawn - a good test for a tight fit). Now I can forget about tip rolling and just enjoy the FH7. By the way, what are your thoughts on the differences between the reference and treble filters. I've read a few reviews that suggest the treble filters just add more air and extension, but not brightness. Do they affect the bass response at all? I'm hesitant to switch from the reference filters because they sound so good; need some motivation to give them a try :wink:
Take my response with a grain of salt since I changed both filters and tips at the same time. But I find the treble filters work really well for most of the music I listen to (classical, jazz); I really hear the difference in a cleaner string sound. I think the "more air and extension" is a fair way of describing it. I was worried that the sound might become shrill but it isn't at all. If there is any complaint it is that it does emphasize (slightly) any sibilance present in vocals, but frankly that doesn't bother me. And no bass compromise at all. It is so easy to change the filters that I'd say it is worth giving them a try.

Jul 23, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #812 of 1,922
Glad you settled on there Spiral Dots. Those are my favourite tips by far. On the FH5 they 'just' give me enough of a seal. On the FH7 they're perfectly wedged in and don't move (even when I yawn - a good test for a tight fit). Now I can forget about tip rolling and just enjoy the FH7. By the way, what are your thoughts on the differences between the reference and treble filters. I've read a few reviews that suggest the treble filters just add more air and extension, but not brightness. Do they affect the bass response at all? I'm hesitant to switch from the reference filters because they sound so good; need some motivation to give them a try :wink:

I was thinking about trying the JVC spiral dots as well. Can you tell me what spiral dot size i should get if the medium silicon tips that came with the FH7 fit me well? Also, if you knew a good place to get them online (for US), that'd be cool too.

My other option was trying out the Symbio Hybrid Eartips, but international shipping costs makes them too expensive.

Oh and in regards to the filters, even though the FH7 are a little on the bright side for me, i still like the treble filter (green) the most. It really opens up the sound. Some reviewers say the filters don't make a noticeable difference but they really do; just not as much of a difference as tips.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #813 of 1,922
I was thinking about trying the JVC spiral dots as well. Can you tell me what spiral dot size i should get if the medium silicon tips that came with the FH7 fit me well? Also, if you knew a good place to get them online (for US), that'd be cool too.

My other option was trying out the Symbio Hybrid Eartips, but international shipping costs makes them too expensive.
I'd go for the Medium Spiral Dots myself. Not sure where you'd get them in the US; I got mine on eBay I think. Tried the Symbio tips - they're nowhere near as comfortable and don't sound as smooth or refined as the Spiral Dots.

Jul 23, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #814 of 1,922
I'd go for the Medium Spiral Dots myself. Not sure where you'd get them in the US; I got mine on eBay I think. Tried the Symbio tips - they're nowhere near as comfortable and don't sound as smooth or refined as the Spiral Dots.
Spiral Dots I have were obtained from Amazon in the usa; fit was a good fit but the wide opening gave more treble than I liked.

Jul 24, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #815 of 1,922
Thanks, anyone with a DAP that can comment on benefits? These are easy to drive IEMs, and my DAP (M11) is super clean, so wondering if the addition of an IEMatch is a solution looking for a problem, or if it has tangible SQ advantages.

IEMatch is a great tool. But like any tool, you only use it when you need it. Otherwise, you're just adding something else to the chain (purists can cringe now). This is especially bad when you add resistance, as people who run their amps full tilt (bypassing the resistor in the potentiometer) will agree.

In short, it's all about tradeoffs: in some instances adding IEMatch is very necessary to achieve the best sound, and the tradeoffs worth it. But you don't need one if you don't have an issue. Here are issues that IEMatch is marketed toward:

1. Hiss when using a very sensitive IEM or an amp with too high a noise floor- it will solve the problem, not help make it better, but eradicate it in most instances.
2. Tonal changes because of too high output impedance from your amp or DAP. If the output impedance is sufficiently low, rule of thumb being 1/8th or less than the earphone's impedance, you shouldn't have an issue. Most DAPs aim for a 'near zero' output impedance these days because they're designed for IEM use.
3. Using a DAP that achieves volume attenuation digitally AND does so by way of destructive 'bitstripping'. See next comment below.

I think the theory is to get more dynamic range out of a device with a digital volume control ( by recovering bits lopped off in reducing volume). I can't speak to how this is realized in practice.

Almost all DAPs nowadays perform volume attenuation digitally, but do so by calling the volume function in the DAC chip. Here is where things get complicated. As to how destructive attenuation is to resolution all depends on how the bitstream is sent to the DAC by the software, how the DAC is programmed to 'justify' these bitstreams (LSB or MSB), and the noise floor of the DAC chip itself.

Personally, I think IEMatch should only be used for 1 and 2 above and that #3 is a non issue with today's DAPs. Hope this helps

Jul 24, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #816 of 1,922
IEMatch is a great tool. But like any tool, you only use it when you need it. Otherwise, you're just adding something else to the chain (purists can cringe now). This is especially bad when you add resistance, as people who run their amps full tilt (bypassing the resistor in the potentiometer) will agree.

In short, it's all about tradeoffs: in some instances adding IEMatch is very necessary to achieve the best sound, and the tradeoffs worth it. But you don't need one if you don't have an issue. Here are issues that IEMatch is marketed toward:

1. Hiss when using a very sensitive IEM or an amp with too high a noise floor- it will solve the problem, not help make it better, but eradicate it in most instances.
2. Tonal changes because of too high output impedance from your amp or DAP. If the output impedance is sufficiently low, rule of thumb being 1/8th or less than the earphone's impedance, you shouldn't have an issue. Most DAPs aim for a 'near zero' output impedance these days because they're designed for IEM use.
3. Using a DAP that achieves volume attenuation digitally AND does so by way of destructive 'bitstripping'. See next comment below.

Almost all DAPs nowadays perform volume attenuation digitally, but do so by calling the volume function in the DAC chip. Here is where things get complicated. As to how destructive attenuation is to resolution all depends on how the bitstream is sent to the DAC by the software, how the DAC is programmed to 'justify' these bitstreams (LSB or MSB), and the noise floor of the DAC chip itself.

Personally, I think IEMatch should only be used for 1 and 2 above and that #3 is a non issue with today's DAPs. Hope this helps
Thanks, great reply and feedback. The M11 is almost dead silent most of the time, so you can imagine I’ll be listening out for even a hint of hiss with the FH7 to ‘justify’ an IEMatch purchase. I’ll probably get the same effect by switching to low gain and increasing the volume, but that just spoils the shopping fun! :p

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #817 of 1,922

The reason I fino the fiio q5 an excellent device is the 256 volume steps; I find this for me more important than eq. The btr1k has a 32 step volume and the iphone se has a 16 step volume control.

Jul 27, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #819 of 1,922
Had 2 blokes come in the shop today both intent on buying the Solaris. They auditioned both it, and the FH7. Both walked out with the Fiio. Kudos Fiio. Can't wait to see your over $1000 offering.
The whole point is that FiiO doesn’t need a >$1000 offering. The FH7 is it. They just happen to be charging $450 for it. Put a Campfire Audio logo on the box and no-one would bat an eyelid paying $1500 for it.

Jul 27, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #820 of 1,922
The whole point is that FiiO doesn’t need a >$1000 offering. The FH7 is it. They just happen to be charging $450 for it. Put a Campfire Audio logo on the box and no-one would bat an eyelid paying $1500 for it.
Let's just say $3000 Empyrean killing juggernaut. Or even a full sized can. Would love to see their take on that.

Jul 27, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #821 of 1,922
Let's just say $3000 Empyrean killing juggernaut. Or even a full sized can. Would love to see their take on that.
It’s a huge jump from IEMs to full size headphones in terms of design and resources. Based on FiiO’s first attempt at a ‘full size’ can I’d rather they focus on their portable music strengths :wink:

Jul 27, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #822 of 1,922
It’s a huge jump from IEMs to full size headphones in terms of design and resources. Based on FiiO’s first attempt at a ‘full size’ can I’d rather they focus on their portable music strengths :wink:
Ibasso have already done it, and they're pretty much on par with Fiio re: their progress as a company. I wouldn't put it past Fiio to knock it out of the park. At the end of the day it's all speculation, so it doesn't matter what you or I, or anyone else says at this stage. Just interesting to think about.

Jul 27, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #823 of 1,922
FH7 is probably the best value for the money out of all the IEMs I own.

Moondrop A8 is close though...

Jul 27, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #824 of 1,922
Had 2 blokes come in the shop today both intent on buying the Solaris. They auditioned both it, and the FH7. Both walked out with the Fiio. Kudos Fiio. Can't wait to see your over $1000 offering.
I own both the Solaris and the FH7 and the Solaris is better but fall to the law of diminishing returns. The FH7 is at a sweet spot right before it drastically has a drop(goes with many Fiio products). The FH7 is like a baby Solaris, It does 80% of what the Solaris does at a 1/3 of the price.

Jul 27, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #825 of 1,922
I own both the Solaris and the FH7 and the Solaris is better but fall to the law of diminishing returns. The FH7 is at a sweet spot right before it drastically has a drop(goes with many Fiio products). The FH7 is like a baby Solaris, It does 80% of what the Solaris does at a 1/3 of the price.

That’s what I think too. You get 75% of Andromeda while paying like 40% of the price. Obviously SQ improves as you move up but for you don’t need worry about babying them, source matching, fit, hissing, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back