[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
Jun 10, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #271 of 1,922
Hi Dts Bard, could you please give an update if the FH7 finally met your expectations? i.e did the sound ever become fuller and what did you try.

I honestly haven’t had but 10
Minutes with them yesterday. I plan on spending some time today with them and I will report back as soon as I am satisfied that I have reached a conclusion.

Jun 10, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #272 of 1,922
Have you tried the FH5?

No i havent.I was too quick to order the fa7.If i had been doing a little more research before ordering,i would have ordered the fh5 instead of fa7 at that time. I didnt know of the fh7 before later when i had got the fa7.The positive thing about the fa7 are the isolation is really good.But then also i think the fh7 have good isolation too. :)

Jun 10, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #273 of 1,922
No i havent.I was too quick to order the fa7.If i had been doing a little more research before ordering,i would have ordered the fh5 instead of fa7 at that time. I didnt know of the fh7 before later when i had got the fa7.The positive thing about the fa7 are the isolation is really good.But then also i think the fh7 have good isolation too. :)
you would not have like it because it doesn't have a good seal.

Jun 11, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #274 of 1,922
That’s not true, I get an excellent seal with the Spiral Dot tips (there’s a technique you can use to get the tips seated properly in your ear). There’s even more seal (almost complete blackout) with Dekoni and Comply foam tips, but I prefer the sound of the Spiral Dots (tips make all the difference to the sound of the FH5).

That said it is a shallow insertion IEM so YMMV. If you have large or wide or deep ears, it may not work for you, or you may just need to one-up the tip size (I had to go from MS to M Spirals to get a proper seal). The FA7, on the other hand, is too deep for my ears and quite uncomfortable. I prefer the tips sitting at the top of my ear canal, not stuffed all the way in. Also makes for a wider stage and better bass impact.

Jun 11, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #275 of 1,922

The seal isn't something that can be generalized, it depends on someone's ear shape and the type of tip used. For me, the FH7s seal very well with the Final E Tips but not with the Spinfits that come in the kit, the Andromedas seal best with Spiral Dots, and the SE846's best with the olive foams. This may not work for someone else though. I recommend you to try out different tips.

Jun 11, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #276 of 1,922
Hi Dts Bard, could you please give an update if the FH7 finally met your expectations? i.e did the sound ever become fuller and what did you try.

So I have spent some significant time with the FH7 and it would seem I made a rookie mistake. When I use the FH5s I use the small bass tips as this gave me the best sound and fit. Naturally when the FH7s came I used the same tips expecting the same result. For some reason I decided to try the medium bass tips and it totally changed my perception. I could hear and feel the bass now and the treble was tamed a bit. The sound stage was 200% better that the FH5. The bass still doesn’t hit like the FH5 but it is certainly better. I noticed on tracks like “Flight” by Hans Zimmer and “Origins” by Brian Tyler that the bass was hitting but much more controlled. The FH5 now sounded a mess on the lower end and hid the details. The only issue I am having now is the sibilance. It’s only on certain songs with certain voices but it is still there. However I can’t go back to the FH5 after listening to the sound stage on these. It reminds me of my HD600 in terms of instrument placement but sounds like a smaller venue. I just need to find a way to tame that sibilance and they will be perfect. Thanks everyone for your feedback and assistance.

Jun 11, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #277 of 1,922
So I have spent some significant time with the FH7 and it would seem I made a rookie mistake. When I use the FH5s I use the small bass tips as this gave me the best sound and fit. Naturally when the FH7s came I used the same tips expecting the same result. For some reason I decided to try the medium bass tips and it totally changed my perception. I could hear and feel the bass now and the treble was tamed a bit. The sound stage was 200% better that the FH5. The bass still doesn’t hit like the FH5 but it is certainly better. I noticed on tracks like “Flight” by Hans Zimmer and “Origins” by Brian Tyler that the bass was hitting but much more controlled. The FH5 now sounded a mess on the lower end and hid the details. The only issue I am having now is the sibilance. It’s only on certain songs with certain voices but it is still there. However I can’t go back to the FH5 after listening to the sound stage on these. It reminds me of my HD600 in terms of instrument placement but sounds like a smaller venue. I just need to find a way to tame that sibilance and they will be perfect. Thanks everyone for your feedback and assistance.
Great feedback, thanks. And yes, tips make a huge difference. Though I must say I’m surprised you needed larger tips for the FH7, because the FH5 is a shallower fit. You should try the medium tips on the FH5 again...

I find the stage on the FH5 is huge - larger than any other IEM I’ve used - so the FH7 must be massive! Look forward to hearing it one day. Though I suspect if there’s even a hint of sibilance that’s a dealbreaker; it’s the one flaw I could never live with. Another reason I love the FH5.

Look forward to hearing if and how you solve it. I find good foam tips can mellow those treble spikes sometimes, maybe give them a try.

Jun 11, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #278 of 1,922
You are welcome. I am also glad to hear that the FH7's are now much closer to what you anticipated. I hope you find a way to fix the infrequent sibilance. Looking forward to hearing them for myself.

Jun 11, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #279 of 1,922
Amazon dropped the FH7 off just in time for me to try them out while sitting at the tire shop for the next couple of hours. Listening through LG V35 directly, really impressed already! Was concerned with the comments about bass being light, but these seem to have more than my campfire Polaris v1. Noise isolation isn’t the greatest, but I just took them out of box and stuck them in my ears. I’m sure it will only get better when I try different filters and tips, and I have M11 coming in about 10 days.

Early impressions, but off to a great start.

1BF0D71A-AF8F-47F8-BF86-60294D2800F4.jpeg

Jun 11, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #280 of 1,922
Amazon dropped the FH7 off just in time for me to try them out while sitting at the tire shop for the next couple of hours. Listening through LG V35 directly, really impressed already! Was concerned with the comments about bass being light, but these seem to have more than my campfire Polaris v1. Noise isolation isn’t the greatest, but I just took them out of box and stuck them in my ears. I’m sure it will only get better when I try different filters and tips, and I have M11 coming in about 10 days.

Early impressions, but off to a great start.

Just to be clear the Bass comment was due to 2 factors. I was comparing them to the FH5 and I wasn’t using the correct tips for my ears. I tried the same that I used with the FH5 but due to the longer nozzle I needed a different fit. Bass is on point for sure. I going to experiment a little more when I get some feee time. I have young children, hence the need for great Headphones since I can’t utilize my full size system all the time.

Jun 11, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #281 of 1,922
I have young children, hence the need for great Headphones since I can’t utilize my full size system all the time.

My kids are 7 and 5, I need a headphone that blocks out the whining, complaining, and fighting!

Jun 11, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #283 of 1,922
When i first got the fh7,i thought that these are too bright sounding.Now when im trying the fa7,i miss the clarity and deep bass of the fh7.The fh7 is growing on me,if u know what i mean :)
Brain burnin is a real thing, that is for sure!

Jun 11, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #285 of 1,922
Mine are 8 and 5. They are awesome and get along well but the only time I have to listen is when they are asleep and then I can’t crank the system so my headphone journey began 8 years ago.
Mine are 12 and 18 and I hardly see them and I STILL never get to use my speakers. Then again I probably prefer the headphones to be honest, and now I’m not even using the headphones since getting the M11/FH5 - just too convenient to bother getting off the couch or out of bed to go to the desktop rig :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back