FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Oct 28, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #1,156 of 2,258
Last couple of years I only used silicon tips and has customs before. I remember from one of my first iems that I washed the foam tips in a sock every other week. Want to find some silicone tips that fit well. So far the spinfits were ok but not on the same level as the dekoni tips.

Oct 28, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #1,158 of 2,258
Last couple of years I only used silicon tips and has customs before. I remember from one of my first iems that I washed the foam tips in a sock every other week. Want to find some silicone tips that fit well. So far the spinfits were ok but not on the same level as the dekoni tips.
What about the stock foam, it doesn't work for you? What makes the Dekoni foam better for your ears?

For me, the difference from Comply type foam (In which the Dekoni foam looks to be essentially) to the stock memory foam is the fine-ness of the material surface which I think has better acoustical properies compared to Comply type foam. It's just finer and be malliable makes it a killer. Because I never really liked Comply due to the sound, and usually went with silicone materials that fit best.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #1,162 of 2,258
I'm starting to see what is going on the tips/fit. For me, it's not that nozzle is not long enough, it's that I don't know if the fit is deep insertion or shallow. The nozzle seems to go deep enough for deeper insertion, but for that I'd need smaller sized tips or foam seals well.

I went through my box O tips, and tried Spinfit (which I never have luck with), and I couldn't get the stem on the nozzle. You all probabably know that the nozzle is a bit of a challenge in getting the tip stem on to it. Spinfits were nearly impossible. I at least tried medium (which is smaller than large I usually go for, but never have luck with large due to flimsiness of the silicone which folds on entry instead of sealing) with deep insertion, and I knew it didn't sound right. It achieved deep, but still not the right amount of seal.

I think the reason for the challenge of getting the tips on the nozzle is the narrow protrusion that outward, it blocks the tips from sliding in right, combined with already a thick nozzle.

I tried Spiral dots as well, but I only have L size, and it seems a bit too large for deeper entry (not deep insertion) as I run into the same problem as Spinfits, flimsy silicones that folds on entry perhaps due to being too large. I think I need M/L size, not M. Still I don't like Spiral Dots material, it's too smooth and frictionless, and this doesn't jive well for good silicone seal with skin.

So what I did with Spiral dots was not push the tips in so deep, but push them to the point of good seal without it starting to fold and creating gaps. Sounded decent, but still not to the point of right.

I think in the end, the Symbio Mandarin W being hybrid type tip with foam support on the inside prevents from the silicone to fold and creates gaps on deeper entry. For me this is most ideal or memory foam as I have stated that I don't know how deep you insert with silicone tips, but memory foam just shapes itself on whatever insertion depth with better seal due to not folding like silicones.

So, make sure the fit is right or you will get the wrong idea of sound. It's very important. I think it takes a bit of experience to get a feel of if the fit isn't right or not. I can easily tell as I've done this too many times.

I've been trying out wireless iems, and realized these trapizoidal tips (Jaybird Run iems) actually work quite well for fit (first time I've seen these, never seen these before). They seal well (at least for me). I was surprised due to the way the shape looked.

51INAqV48KL._SX466_.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #1,163 of 2,258
Got mine Symbio. Good isolation, significantly rised bass, but.. ears hurts :frowning2: returned to Sony tips. Waiting spiral dots
I like the bass with the Symbio (edit: memory foam maybe more accurate or leveled, but Symbio moves more air), so much impact and presence. When the track hits bass, it hits pretty hard. I like that aspect, but it does output more appropriately of the amount depending on the track. If it's an impactful bass track, it expresses the impact quite effectively. You really feel the bass, and this characteristic is amiable. Hiphop is the shizzle! Tight and present hiphop bass is nice that you can feel the woofing.

I took off the grill on the nozzle, and it seems to open up the highs a bit more. Sounds better tonally.

You feel the air of the bass with this track.

Here are some impactful bass

Wait for the bass to slam at 1:03

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #1,165 of 2,258
Symbios need you fit deep and snug in your ear canal for them to perform. Take time and just really get it in there :D

Oct 29, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #1,166 of 2,258
Folks, I got the IMR R1s this weekend for a more fun sounding iem (I'm still keeping my Fiios as they are a great W shaped iem) and they have the same seal issue as the Fiios lol! So, I've been experimenting some and it seems like any generic triple flange work well but I added the foam insert from the symbios. It's works really well and really brings out the mids and bass. Also, comply larges are great as well as the symbios mediums. I have larger ears and it seems that you really need a size down for symbios that you normally use on regular silicones or foams. Otherwise the symbios hardly seal.

Oct 29, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #1,167 of 2,258
Hi,

I would really like to get a decent set of balanced 2.5mm cables for my FH5, but I am confused as to what to get and what's generally available.

Can anyone advise?

It's to pair with my X7ii mostly.

Cheers!

Oct 29, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #1,169 of 2,258

Users who are viewing this thread

Back