FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Oct 26, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #1,141 of 2,258
I mean no offense but if you don't like the FH5 so much why not just return/sell them ans stick with your UMPro30 (which if the W30 are any indication are still fantastic IEMs)?
IMO Westone's star tips are the best in the industry and I agree the FH5 cable is a little too heavy for IEMs but my Westone cables have been far from perfect too.
As for bass, the only reason I replaced my W30 was subbass rolloff, which the FH5 doesn't have.
Can't return them (no return policy on IEMs where I bought them) and my voice is just one against the enormous wave of acclaim. I might put them up for sale here but I'd like to spend some time with them still. Though my reports are harsch, these have some magic to em. The spark, the soundstage, the imaging are all top notch. I just don't see why people praise the cable.
An IEM that does not seal is no fun as we all know and these didn't with any of the stock tips. Not until I heard them with the spinfit tips I started to understand why these might be a step up from the UM pro 30.

Oct 26, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #1,142 of 2,258
Just fit in Spinfit CP240 small tips, it is easier to get a good seal comparing with stock tips.
After get good seal, I changed in 2.5mm balanced cable connect to AMA3 on FiiO Q5.
Wow, I am totally sold to this combination.

if you are struggling with tips sealing, don't give up, once you get it right, FH5 is wonderful
earphone.

Oct 26, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #1,143 of 2,258
Ok, I realized I have no issue with fit. I guess for my ears, the nozzle length is enough that I have no issues with fit with various tips. I find that default tips provided to be too narrow of a bore diameter that would be detrimental to being fully realized of it's sound. Memory foam is the only wide bore. I found the vocal tips recess the mids a bit and creates more of a V-shape response. I generally don't find the upper-mids raised, I think at times mids could be more (this maybe attributed to the recording characteristics in reality).

I've gone back to Symbio Mandarin W. It should be recommend if the fit work for your ears. I swear these tips somehow work miracles. Not definite, but it seems the memory foam (the other favorite) seems to create a larger imaging?

All I can say is (I say this again and again), I point out the wide bore and what it does. That's usually the key with these types of wide nozzles with 3 sound outlets.

Yeah, not a fan of the cables.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #1,144 of 2,258
The cables didn’t bother me that much but it came down to fitment issue. Also it was going up against my old tf10. Older three driver iem but with the upgraded cable and super long nozzle I got better fitment and I’m actually keeping the spinfit 145 for them now. So I got something out of trying the fh5 haha I figured since both of the iems used a 5mm nozzle that newer drivers would make a big difference on top of the dynamic in the fh5. Then again my tf10 was the original version and from back when ultimate ears really was trying to make fun sounding iems. I started the return on amazon but I’m still gonna spend some time a/b testing the two before shipping them back.

Oct 27, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #1,145 of 2,258
The cables didn’t bother me that much but it came down to fitment issue. Also it was going up against my old tf10. Older three driver iem but with the upgraded cable and super long nozzle I got better fitment and I’m actually keeping the spinfit 145 for them now. So I got something out of trying the fh5 haha I figured since both of the iems used a 5mm nozzle that newer drivers would make a big difference on top of the dynamic in the fh5. Then again my tf10 was the original version and from back when ultimate ears really was trying to make fun sounding iems. I started the return on amazon but I’m still gonna spend some time a/b testing the two before shipping them back.
I used to have tf10 and was from long time ago, so this is based off of memory. One thing that is a sure thing was the fit, awkward and easily moves around due to the way it stuck out. I didn't find it to perform all that well, at least not as well as the FH5.

Matter a fact, I'm glad I gave FH5 a try because I didn't like the F9 pro with the treble peak. So, FH5 is a nice surprise. F9 pro did actually respond accordingly to the tip types. Like for example, bass tips did recess the other frequencies relatively, etc.. But, I didn't find FH5 tips to respond the way they were labeled in comparison.

I don't have much experience in this price bracket. Like DGVP DMG (actually lower priced), DM6, Sony EX1000, and Massdrop plus. I have tried EX1000 and Massdrop plus, but unsure of the other 2. It seems like this price bracket is becoming competitive with higher end.

And as for the cable, it's the weight from the thick flex cable insulation. I don't like weighty cables, particularly if portable is in mind. Focal Utopia stock cable is the worst.

Edit: took out iBasso IT04 as I had no idea it was double the price of FH5!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #1,146 of 2,258
I've gone back to Symbio Mandarin W. It should be recommend if the fit work for your ears. I swear these tips somehow work miracles.

Totally agree with those sentiments!

Oct 27, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #1,147 of 2,258
Yeah the tf10 still looks dumb sticking out of ones ears haha. I got lucky and I went on a ear tip hunting quest many many years ago for those and found something good. I still really like the fh5. If my tf10 ever breaks from old age I’ll not be buying another set but I’ll get the fh5. Just for now the upgrade isn’t enough to justify keeping them. I’ll have every over ear headphone I can get my hands on and keep them but for some reason can’t apply the same logic to iems haha

Oct 27, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #1,148 of 2,258
Dekoni to the rescue! The large bulletz work amazingly well for my ears.
So: westone cable + FH5 + dekoni bulletz large = I finally understand the hype. I'll play with some more tips (jvc incoming, symbio on the radar) but I'm happy to replace the UM pro 30's now.
How long does 1 pair of dekoni tips last? Does anyone have a clue about that?

Oct 27, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #1,149 of 2,258
I just read the iBasso IT04 is $518?! If that's the case, it's not a fair comparison to FH5 ($260 currently). I originally thought it was competitive pricing since Dsnuts brought it up.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #1,155 of 2,258
Dekoni to the rescue! The large bulletz work amazingly well for my ears.
So: westone cable + FH5 + dekoni bulletz large = I finally understand the hype. I'll play with some more tips (jvc incoming, symbio on the radar) but I'm happy to replace the UM pro 30's now.
How long does 1 pair of dekoni tips last? Does anyone have a clue about that?
4-8 weeks according to their video, and I'm sure they want you to keep buying them (so, no surprise they want you to replace often). I don't see how they are any better than other foams out there like Comply? You can get a bunch of those for cheap on Aliexpress I'm sure.

Personally, this is not the foam I find to be the best. The stock foam material is better I find(as it's finer in foam material grade), but looking for larger size.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back