[FiiO FA1] Single Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors, Knowles Customized BA Driver, DLP 3D Printing Technology,Detachable MMCX Cable
Mar 10, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #242 of 398
image.jpg Mine is a strange set that a spanish girl in a mall gifted to me when i've lost a set of original. I have a very large collection, and this work the best for me. Tonight I will try a balanced cable out of my es100

Mar 10, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #243 of 398
Hey, how does the FA1 compare to your ER4s?

I've used various Etymotic's, dating back to 2004 or so, culminating in the 4PT, and finally 4SR. These are at the upper end of my budget. I was looking for an iem that did not need to be inserted so deeply into the ear canal. Just wanted a change from the Etys and had to fit in my budget. I'm very pleased with the FA1's so far. Nicely detailed, good soundstage, overall very musical. Comfortable to wear for extended listening. To me the FiiO's have about the same bass presence as 4SR's. So they have checked a lot of boxes for me. (I listen to classical chamber music, orchestral, jazz combos, male & female "crooners" JT, Beatles, CSNY, Joni Mitchell to name a few) I plan on ordering a 2.5mm balanced cable and give that a try soon

Mar 10, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #244 of 398
I've used various Etymotic's, dating back to 2004 or so, culminating in the 4PT, and finally 4SR. These are at the upper end of my budget. I was looking for an iem that did not need to be inserted so deeply into the ear canal. Just wanted a change from the Etys and had to fit in my budget. I'm very pleased with the FA1's so far. Nicely detailed, good soundstage, overall very musical. Comfortable to wear for extended listening. To me the FiiO's have about the same bass presence as 4SR's. So they have checked a lot of boxes for me. (I listen to classical chamber music, orchestral, jazz combos, male & female "crooners" JT, Beatles, CSNY, Joni Mitchell to name a few) I plan on ordering a 2.5mm balanced cable and give that a try soon
Despite the big price difference, is the difference in resolution and detail big?

Mar 10, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #245 of 398
Despite the big price difference, is the difference in resolution and detail big?
Well, I don't think the Ety's sound 3 times better than the FA1s! FiiO has really raised the bar on these extremely affordable iems. I really am enjoying them!

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #247 of 398
Today this wonderful signature made me hate every headphone i have. The cymbals are super distinguished from the voices, and the voices from the bass... in every wonderful transitions i can hear the naturalness of every single separated Sound and the ensemble too. I sold the dt880 for the disjointed highs and the boring mids, the m40x for their cup resonances, the momentum for the general dullness. Which open headphone can i buy now? I can't spend more than 250 and I already had and sold:
Se1000a, mediocre overall;
Hd598, strange unconsistent bass;
K712, too hard to drive, weak unamped;
Hd58x, no high mids, boomy;
Dt880, flat voices, like a picture of a sound.
Dors the k612 pro will be the answer? Or the shp9500?

Mar 10, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #248 of 398
I have the fa1, fh5, and fa7 and use the fa1 80% of the time: if I listen to loud music for about an hour or less I use the q5 and either fh5, fa7, or sony mdr-1am2..

The difference in quality is not near the difference in price ratio.
:thumbsup:

Mar 10, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #249 of 398
Today this wonderful signature made me hate every headphone i have. The cymbals are super distinguished from the voices, and the voices from the bass... in every wonderful transitions i can hear the naturalness of every single separated Sound and the ensemble too. I sold the dt880 for the disjointed highs and the boring mids, the m40x for their cup resonances, the momentum for the general dullness. Which open headphone can i buy now? I can't spend more than 250 and I already had and sold:
There is a way to not spend the 320 euro od the hd600?

Mar 10, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #250 of 398
I found an optimal solution for the risk to obstruct the open nozzle with some skin or earwax due to psorias i have. After some try the foam included in the ve monk seem to be sonocally transparent and reliable
Then I guess you'll have the same problem with all earphones have small tube with Knowles dampers(filters) in them just like the FA1 does. Fortunately you can buy spare Knowles dampers and removal tool for them. I would take the dampers out and clean them using alcohol every 1 or 2 years. If the filter looks bad I'll just replace it with a new one.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #252 of 398
Got my pair today with the fiio M3k and i must say that the FA1 is wonderful but you have to like the signature which is fast, detailed and neutral. If that signature is something you want this really is a killer iem for 100 bucks. Build and comfort is really good!
Super pleased with mine. I really enjoy and ptefer a neutral signature-part of my attraction to the Etymotic Research ER4SR too.

Mar 14, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #253 of 398

perhaps you should try the simple Hd58x mod before selling it :)
you seems to like brighter sound i guess..you should try Grado headphones, you can start with sr80e or sr60e.
or try getting philips shp9500 from newegg(less bass tho).

Mar 14, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #254 of 398
perhaps you should try the simple Hd58x mod before selling it :)
you seems to like brighter sound i guess..you should try Grado headphones, you can start with sr80e or sr60e.
or try getting philips shp9500 from newegg(less bass tho).
Oh, man. I tried a lot, every felt with and without foam, gummy mod invented by me, and nothing worked for me. I like the voices in front of me almost shouting, the highs must be very articulate but never too sharp. I am very sensitive to the 4-5000 hz, so i prefer a dip there. Today the K612PRO arrived and my first impressions are very positive. I think that for 99 euro nothing can beat them. A more dry and cheap k712pro who can be very clear and cohesive. The Fa1 suite my liking in every way, it was a game changer but The akg is very similar. So i must be happy because the next step would be the tesla drivers from beyer and the custom iems and a father with my money simply can't afford these wonders

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #255 of 398
Oh, man. I tried a lot, every felt with and without foam, gummy mod invented by me, and nothing worked for me. I like the voices in front of me almost shouting, the highs must be very articulate but never too sharp. I am very sensitive to the 4-5000 hz, so i prefer a dip there. Today the K612PRO arrived and my first impressions are very positive. I think that for 99 euro nothing can beat them. A more dry and cheap k712pro who can be very clear and cohesive. The Fa1 suite my liking in every way, it was a game changer but The akg is very similar. So i must be happy because the next step would be the tesla drivers from beyer and the custom iems and a father with my money simply can't afford these wonders
I remember in 2010 when a shure se30 cost about $400 in that time's curacy. The fa1 is far better and at a cost that many more today can afford.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back