FiiO Earbuds Discussion & Impressions Thread
Aug 1, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #16 of 289
Try VE thin foams. That takes these up a huge notch for me.
I have some thin foams, just not VE. I did order some and will try it out and see if it makes a difference. We don't talk much about age in these threads, I'm not totally over the hill, but I'm not a young pup anymore so that may be why I'm favoring a little extra treble kick.

Aug 2, 2022 at 2:13 AM Post #18 of 289
Everyone has a different anatomy. That’s just part of the reason why it’s good they included 3 different types. I just ordered the Trig Rain to see how they work with these as well. The baseline character of these buds should work for most people. I’m not sure how FiiO is going to improve on these with the FF5, but it will be interesting. I’m planning on resisting those for a while, but I’m glad FiiO continues to put their design and engineering acumen into buds. Nearly every bud I’ve tried with donuts doesn’t work well for me. I’m glad there’s a reason for them because I was beginning to doubt it LOL.
I think I’ll give the VE another try later to be sure.

The FF5 I’m hoping, from what I’ve read, are the same but with MMCX detachable cables. We shall see. I have a feeling I’ll be adding them to the collection regardless 🙈.

They really are an easy enjoyable listen. Especially on balanced I find.

Well done Fiio again.

Aug 2, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #19 of 289
I have some thin foams, just not VE. I did order some and will try it out and see if it makes a difference. We don't talk much about age in these threads, I'm not totally over the hill, but I'm not a young pup anymore so that may be why I'm favoring a little extra treble kick.
I’m with you there re age and treble 😂

Aug 10, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #20 of 289
DSC00123.JPG

FF3 on the BTR7. Excellent.

Aug 15, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #22 of 289
wonder how they compare to my em5? anyone having both already?
This is a post I put up at the Earbuds Round-Up thread comparing the FF3 to the EM5:

"If you already have the EM5 continue to use them, they are still a worthy set of buds. To me the main difference in the EM5 sound signature vs the FF3 is that the EM5 has an overall bass emphasis while the FF3 is much more balanced and cleaner sound profile. I'm not saying the EM5 bass bleeds into the midrange or treble, just that the bass is ever present. The FF3 does not have that constant bass veil, rather the bass extension is subtle, there is enough bass fullness so that whatever you're listening to sounds rich with good body. Having said that, the FF3 is very capable in the bass department as well. If the music track has bass slam, the FF3 won't disappoint you. FiiO did an extraordinary job in what they term their drum bass design and the tuning of the FF3 is top notch.

I'm glad I have both EM5 and FF3. If I could only keep one of them it would be the FF3. With the excellent job FiiO has done with the FF3, when the FF5 get released I'll be right there with a blind buy."

Aug 16, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #23 of 289
thank you very much! sounds i am going to get them as well. any words comparing soundstage of both? the em5 outperform even my akg k872 in this regard, which is a closed back, but it has a larger stage than my, ma900 or my oppo pm2. the fiio has the best forward projection i have heard so far, only the t+a solitair p pushes the music further in front of me.

have not heard of an ff5, so now i am excited. Will they drop them this year?

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #24 of 289
For soundstage I think it mainly comes down to the music you listen to and how it is mastered. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

FiiO said FF5 should release in September, but so far they have not released any news since their first announcement. I'm sure FiiO will post a release message when they are ready to.

Aug 19, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #26 of 289
today i went for my em3, which i have not used for 6 years. wow, what a great sounding bud. the bass is even more to my likeing than on the em5. to be honest, i am listening to them for about three hours now and besides some resolution i am not missing anything. even more so, i think the bass seems quite close to my lcd-i3, while the soundstage is much much better on the em3:scream:

Aug 19, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #27 of 289
today i went for my em3, which i have not used for 6 years. wow, what a great sounding bud. the bass is even more to my likeing than on the em5. to be honest, i am listening to them for about three hours now and besides some resolution i am not missing anything. even more so, i think the bass seems quite close to my lcd-i3, while the soundstage is much much better on the em3:scream:
Nice! I've read great things about the EM3. Please give an EM3 vs FF3 comparison.

Aug 20, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #29 of 289
they arrived and i am listening to them for the first 15 minutes with balanced tips now. first impression is, that i hope, that the bass will calm down a bit and treble wonkiness will flaten out within the first hours. i am not a believer im burn in, but i often felt that dynamic drivers somewhat settle or break in within the first 1-3 hours of playing. perhaps even that might be brain burn in as well. we will see, how it will turn out, once i do the direct comparison.

edit one hour later: still on the same tips. listening to cinematic orchestra, the crimson wing and, wow, could be, we have something special in these little buds. definitely need to spent more time with them for now.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #30 of 289
Ya they do need a burn in. Beryllium plated dynamics all need burn in. Mine got considerably tighter the more I used them. They sound spectacular after a few days of burn in.

As I recall the first time I heard them the bass was a bloaty mess. Not so much now and that is clearly due to burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back