FiiO E9 Review
Aug 7, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #991 of 1,324
1). With the standard E9 its docking section can only be used with the E7.  The E9i(a newer variant of the E9) however has ipod line docking ability.

2). Docking the E7 into the E9 creates DAC and headphone amplifier combination.  The E7 will act as an external sound card while at the same time using the E9 as its amp.  The advantage here, is that many built-in PC sound cards are not quite up to the task of driving full size headphones like the HD650 for example, so an external soundcard headphone amp combo like the E7/E9 would power full size headphones significantly better while providing better overall sound quality thanks to the E7.

3). Exactly.  Just make sure you use the usb cable provided with the E9.

I hope I was able to answer questions.  If you have any more questions feel free to ask!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 7, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #992 of 1,324
Thank you, Digital-Pride! Very helpful!
beerchug.gif

I didn't know about the E9i, and at only £10 more, I'll definitely go for that one. I quite like the sleek black look of these FiiO amps too.

So I presume the E9i can connect with the E7 in the same way? (As it would be a little odd if it didn't.) I also presume the E9i with an iPod connected will drive some HD650s fine?

(I'm not a "real" audiophile, but certainly more so than your average iPodie and clearly I like a quality sound... and I do so love the gadgets.)

Aug 7, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #993 of 1,324
I completely agree, Fiio's gadgets are quite nice!
biggrin.gif
   I think the E9i can only be docked with ipod line devices, though I'm not 100% sure.  You can still connect the E7 to the E9i by using Fiio's L7 kit.  This allows the E7 to be essentially "docked" to the E9i by connecting the E7 to the E9i using the E9i's 3.5mm line-in input.  Here's a visual illustration-

Aug 7, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #994 of 1,324
Huh, okay. That just adds extra confusion. 
blink.gif

Now I'm thinking it's just easier to go for the E9/E7 combo. Will it play music via the USB from an iPod by connecting it to the USB port on the back of the E9? As well as this, will plugging the E7 into the E9 dock (while the iPod is connected to the E9 via USB) make a considerable difference in sound output from the E9?

This is more complicated than I had originally thought! Is there some kind of amp/iPod equation that helps me figure this all out? 
confused_face.gif
 (I'm sure the answer is simple, but getting there is a different matter it would seem!)

Thank you for your patience. 

Aug 7, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #995 of 1,324
iPods will not play through the E9 via USB.

There's nothing confusing about it at all. iPods and the E7 do not have the same kind of dock connector; therefore you need to choose whether docking the E7 is more important in which you would get the E9, or if you would use your iPod more in which you should get the E9i. The other can be connected in the back via 3.5mm RCA.

Aug 7, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #996 of 1,324
Yeah, it can be a bit confusing at first, but it's actually a bit easier than it looks.  With an ipod docked to the E9i, the usb connection allows you have PC access to your ipod.  The E9's dock is for the E7, while the E9i's is for the ipod line.  Hmm, if you plan on using your ipod as your primary music source then you probably don't need the E7.  Your ipod and E9i should make an excellent match.

Aug 7, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #997 of 1,324

Quote:
There's nothing confusing about it at all.

Few things are when you know how they work. As an example, using Schrodinger's equation to calculate the wavefuction for an electron with initial inputs isn't confusing to me since I know how to use it, but I'd like to see a non-physicist give it a go! :wink: (Thanks for clearing things up, you guys are very helpful! :))

Quote:
Yeah, it can be a bit confusing at first, but it's actually a bit easier than it looks. 

Yep. Thanks for your help again!

Aug 7, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #998 of 1,324

Quote:
iPods will not play through the E9 via USB.

There's nothing confusing about it at all. iPods and the E7 do not have the same kind of dock connector; therefore you need to choose whether docking the E7 is more important in which you would get the E9, or if you would use your iPod more in which you should get the E9i. The other can be connected in the back via 3.5mm RCA.

Wait, I've just noticed: I was referring to connecting the iPod via the BACK usb port, not the dock port. (I knew that the connectors would be different since they wouldn't sell the iPod specific dock E9i otherwise.)

Are you saying that the E9 will not play music from an iPod when connected via the USB in the back of the E9 device? 

Aug 7, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #999 of 1,324
Yes. The USB-B port on the back of the E9(i) is linked to the dock only. If you have the regular E9, this will allow the E7 to connect to your PC through the E9, or as stated above, will allow your iPod to connect to your PC as if it were directly plugged in.

Music will only be played through the E7 or iPod when docked. Otherwise, the only other input the allows music playback is the 3.5mm RCA input.

Aug 7, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #1,000 of 1,324
Got it (I think). Thanks for the info. I've got that itch to buy some new gadgets.

Oh the Jedi's are going to feel this one... (and by Jedi's, I mean my wallet).

Aug 12, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #1,002 of 1,324
The E9 has more than enough power for the DT 990. Since the PRO version is 250 ohms, the low gain setting should suffice, but you can always use the high gain setting if needed. Generally you want whichever setting will keep you between 10 and 12 o'clock on the volume pot.

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #1,003 of 1,324
My second E9 (sold the first one, got another) has way more hiss when I turn the volume pot than the first one. Is there anything I can do about this? Was there a version that hisses more? Is this a manufacturer's problem?
Thanks!

Aug 12, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #1,004 of 1,324
Hmm, another poster had a similar issue.  Do you get hiss when turning the volume knob only and or when there is no music playing?  If it's the latter then you might have a defective unit.  My E9 produces a slight staticy noise only when turning the volume knob, other than that it's quite silent.

Aug 12, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #1,005 of 1,324
This is a well known issue with the E9. It's only a minor annoyance, but it's normal. James has covered this personally:

Quote:

In typical carbon film potentiometer, the function is established by sliding a small piece of metal along a rounded carbon disk to control the resistance.

So, there will be noise generated by the mechanical action where the contacting points between the metal piece and the carbon disk sliding against each

other when operating the pot. Also there will be some carbon dust fall off from the disk after a period of usage, which may cause bad contact or fiction

between the contacting points. This will also induce noise.

Although E9 and A1 both use the Alps potentiometer from Japan, it is still very hard to avoid such an issue Unless digital volume control or stepped

attenuator was used.But digital volume control, with the current technology, will cause distortion and increase background noise. With stepped attenuator,

the durability and noise induced by moving mechanical parts are still a real concern, not to mention their high cost.

So the issue is very hard to avoid in principle.

But there are two ways to help to reduce and even avoid such an issue.

• Quickly turning the volume pot back and forth to use the sliding action of the contacting points to clean out the carbon dust
  • Disassemble the aluminum volume knob on the potentiometer and spread the pot with electronic cleaning solution (from general electronic store) or pure alcohol. Allow the cleaning agent to penetrate the pot and turn the pot back and forth to clean out the carbon dust and dirt. This usually will fix the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back