FiiO E9 Review
May 27, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #977 of 1,324
No, because if I connect the headphones again, they work just fine. 

Here is the full layout, and the way I can duplicate the issue.

Connected from PC via USB to e9 with e7 docked. From the 3.5mm jack in the back, I have a set of active speakers. For testing purposes, I have the volume knobs on both the speakers and the amp set to the 12oclock  position. I start playing a song. I plug in my headphones into the 6.3mm jack in the front (Ultrasone Pro900s, if it makes a difference). I then unplug the headphones, and no sound comes from the speakers. I then plug in the headphones again, and sound comes back through the headphones. If I turn everything off, and wait a bit, and then turn on the e9 with only the speakers plugged into the rear, sound will come back to the speakers. Other than that, regardless of volume settings, there is no sound from the speakers after unplugging the headphones.

May 29, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #978 of 1,324

Quote:
No, because if I connect the headphones again, they work just fine. 

Here is the full layout, and the way I can duplicate the issue.

Connected from PC via USB to e9 with e7 docked. From the 3.5mm jack in the back, I have a set of active speakers. For testing purposes, I have the volume knobs on both the speakers and the amp set to the 12oclock  position. I start playing a song. I plug in my headphones into the 6.3mm jack in the front (Ultrasone Pro900s, if it makes a difference). I then unplug the headphones, and no sound comes from the speakers. I then plug in the headphones again, and sound comes back through the headphones. If I turn everything off, and wait a bit, and then turn on the e9 with only the speakers plugged into the rear, sound will come back to the speakers. Other than that, regardless of volume settings, there is no sound from the speakers after unplugging the headphones.

Ok, you should send yours back, clearly there is something off here.  But when you get your new E9, remember to use the RCA line-out for your active speakers.  Forget about the 3.5mm pre-output, those are for passive speakers.

May 29, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #979 of 1,324
I am using my FiiO E9 from the line out of my Asus Xonar STX with my headphones connected, but when the bass hits I can hear crackling sound coming from my speakers (which are connected via the LINE_OUT RCA out.) The problem doesn't appear to happen when the speakers are connected to the PRE_OUTPUT stereo jack.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Jul 17, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #981 of 1,324
I am using my FiiO E9 from the line out of my Asus Xonar STX with my headphones connected, but when the bass hits I can hear crackling sound coming from my speakers (which are connected via the LINE_OUT RCA out.) The problem doesn't appear to happen when the speakers are connected to the PRE_OUTPUT stereo jack.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Thea Asus Xonar has driver issues and crackles when you use the line out I had to return mine because of this.. You can try the latest beta drivers and see if that fixes it but nothing fixed mine.

Jul 20, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #982 of 1,324
Hi all,

Firstly I am relatively new to this scene.

I have a question in regards to a pair of AKG Q 701s and if the FiiO E9 is suitable to driving them?  I will mostly be using it with portable mp3 devices, aka iPhone and HTC desire HD.

I haven't purchased the headphones yet, however from what I have read they are what I am looking for, however my amplifier and cd player are currently packed away and will be for at least another 12 months, and I have read that the Q701s will require more drive than what mp3 players offer so I require a headphone amp in the meantime.

I have also heard that people here are running the FiiO E7/E9 combo, which unfortunately is out of my price range to go for the both.  Is the E7 capable of driving headphones similar to the Q701s?  Or is it just not powerful enough.

Thanks for any help that can be given.

Jul 20, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #983 of 1,324
I owned the K601, by all accounts even harder to drive than the *701, and they took a lot of current : I believe the E9 would do the job nicely. Dont be deceived by the price - this little amp has plenty of power.

Jul 21, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #984 of 1,324

I hope you know that the AKG 'Q' 701's are the same headphones as the AKG 'K' 701/2's,  unless you are willing to pay the extra $ (if it does cost more that is) for a different color scheme and Quincy's brand on them, go ahead with them. 
The FiiO E9 ( & Combo ) drives my K702's fine I would say, has plenty of power to spare. For portable use, you won't be able to use the E9 as it has to be plugged in, where the E7 doesn't. Search around for more experienced opinions about the FiiO's with K701/2 or wait for someone to respond here.

Quote:
Hi all,

Firstly I am relatively new to this scene.

I have a question in regards to a pair of AKG Q 701s and if the FiiO E9 is suitable to driving them?  I will mostly be using it with portable mp3 devices, aka iPhone and HTC desire HD.

I haven't purchased the headphones yet, however from what I have read they are what I am looking for, however my amplifier and cd player are currently packed away and will be for at least another 12 months, and I have read that the Q701s will require more drive than what mp3 players offer so I require a headphone amp in the meantime.

I have also heard that people here are running the FiiO E7/E9 combo, which unfortunately is out of my price range to go for the both.  Is the E7 capable of driving headphones similar to the Q701s?  Or is it just not powerful enough.

Thanks for any help that can be given.

Jul 21, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #985 of 1,324

Quote:
I hope you know that the AKG 'Q' 701's are the same headphones as the AKG 'K' 701/2's,  unless you are willing to pay the extra $ (if it does cost more that is) for a different color scheme and Quincy's brand on them, go ahead with them. 
The FiiO E9 ( & Combo ) drives my K702's fine I would say, has plenty of power to spare. For portable use, you won't be able to use the E9 as it has to be plugged in, where the E7 doesn't. Search around for more experienced opinions about the FiiO's with K701/2 or wait for someone to respond here.

I'm with you - it was a blatant marketing exercise from a company well and truly out of ideas - but some here do claim that their Q701 sounds different to their K701. Beats me, but AKG just dont have anything to offer in 2011 as far as I'm concerned - even without paying LCD-2 money, companies like A-T and Beyerdynamic have so many good choices at the Q701's price point.

Jul 22, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #986 of 1,324

Quote:
I owned the K601, by all accounts even harder to drive than the *701, and they took a lot of current : I believe the E9 would do the job nicely. Dont be deceived by the price - this little amp has plenty of power gain.

Fixed.
cool.gif

-Daniel

Aug 7, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #989 of 1,324
A few (probably rather stupid) questions about the E9/E7 combo as I'm still a little unclear about them: 

1) Does the E9 act as a dock for an iPod?

2) What exactly does plugging the E7 into the E9 do? Does it actually improve the sound in anyway? 

3) If I'm playing music from iTunes on my MacBook, is it a simple case of plugging a USB cable from the laptop into the amp?

If someone could explain this to me as though I were a 5 year old, I would greatly appreciate that! (I'm sure the answer is within these many pages, but I'd rather have someone answer them simply and directly if possible. :))

Being new to this, I do apologise for the ignorance of the questions, I just want to be sure of all things before I part with my hard earned cash!

I'm also thinking about getting a pair of HD650s to go with the FiiO amp. I have a tube amp, but have decided I want a solid state amp to go with it.

Aug 7, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #990 of 1,324

Quote:
1) Does the E9 act as a dock for an iPod?

2) What exactly does plugging the E7 into the E9 do? Does it actually improve the sound in anyway? 

3) If I'm playing music from iTunes on my MacBook, is it a simple case of plugging a USB cable from the laptop into the amp?

If someone could explain this to me as though I were a 5 year old, I would greatly appreciate that! (I'm sure the answer is within these many pages, but I'd rather have someone answer them simply and directly if possible. :))

Hi

[1] No - the E9 acts as a dock for the E7 - it has a different connector (an ipod won't fit).  Fiio also sell an amp called the E9i - which replaces the E7 dock with an iPod dock - but then of course you can't use an E7.

[2] If you simply plug in the E9 to your laptop / pc - it is using (amping) the analogue signal from your onboard soundcard.  By adding the E7 docked, it takes the digital signal instead, and uses the DAC onboard the E7 to convert it to analogue.  The E7's DAC measures pretty well - and should be better than typical integrated (motherboard) sound chipsets.  The combination has been an improvement for me anyway.

[3] If you have the E7/E9 combo - then yes - just plug into USB.  Double-check this first if you can though - I'm running Linux and Windows - not OSX.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back