FiiO E9 Review
May 15, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #946 of 1,324

Quote:
Does anyone else experience with their E9 that at very low volumes sound comes primarily from the right side?

I got an E9 a week ago, noticed this defect and sent it in for a replacement. My second E9 also has this same problem. At very very low volumes (which I like to listen to sometimes when I'm studying), it seems like volume comes mostly only from the ride side of the headphones. After increasing the volume a little more, it goes back to being even on both sides.

Same with mine. Its really only a problem at very low volumes. With my HD650 I sometimes switch over to low gain in order to get near the 9 o'clock position at very low volumes.

May 15, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #947 of 1,324

Quote:
Same with mine. Its really only a problem at very low volumes. With my HD650 I sometimes switch over to low gain in order to get near the 9 o'clock position at very low volumes.

Then you should leave it on low gain. Having the pot at 9 o'clock or greater is ideal. 

Just wondering...at what position do you have the pot when you're listening at nice, loud, enjoyable volumes with your 650s?  I'm curious since with my Ultrasone Pro 2500 I'm at already nice volume just shy of 9 o'clock which is where you say you have low volume! That goes to show how sensitive Ultrasones are I guess.

EDIT: Scratch what I said about leaving your E9 on low gain. I wasn't thinking right and realized you do it on purpose so you can listen at low volumes when you want. But regardless, the pot at 9 o'clock is ideal. Cheers.

May 15, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #948 of 1,324

Quote:

Then you should leave it on low gain. Having the pot at 9 o'clock or greater is ideal. 

Just wondering...at what position do you have the pot when you're listening at nice, loud, enjoyable volumes with your 650s?  I'm curious since with my Ultrasone Pro 2500 I'm at already nice volume just shy of 9 o'clock which is where you say you have low volume! That goes to show how sensitive Ultrasones are I guess.

EDIT: Scratch what I said about leaving your E9 on low gain. I wasn't thinking right and realized you do it on purpose so you can listen at low volumes when you want. But regardless, the pot at 9 o'clock is ideal. Cheers.

Yes normally I have the E9 on high gain. THe "loud volumes" certainly depend on the type of music. Uncompressed stuff such as some classic or Jazz I can get up to a max of 11 but not any higher. Otherwise 9-10 is more than sufficient.

May 17, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #949 of 1,324
Is there a benefit to having an analog volume control as opposed to a digital?

May 17, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #950 of 1,324
I think High Gain just sounds more dynamic than Low Gain even at similar decibel levels. Low Gain is more reserved in sound signature. I like the aggressiveness of the High Gain.

May 17, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #951 of 1,324

Quote:
Does anyone else experience with their E9 that at very low volumes sound comes primarily from the right side?

I got an E9 a week ago, noticed this defect and sent it in for a replacement. My second E9 also has this same problem. At very very low volumes (which I like to listen to sometimes when I'm studying), it seems like volume comes mostly only from the ride side of the headphones. After increasing the volume a little more, it goes back to being even on both sides.

Yes, this happens on all analog pots:

Here's a link explaining it a bit better: http://www.nuforce.com/hp/support/analog-volume-graph.php

May 17, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #952 of 1,324

Quote:
I think High Gain just sounds more dynamic than Low Gain even at similar decibel levels. Low Gain is more reserved in sound signature. I like the aggressiveness of the High Gain.

With the exception of the KSC75, you and I have very different cans. I dont like hi-gain on any of the amps I've owned, but I havent had to drive anything 'heavy' since I got rid of the K601 12 months ago. Horses for courses.

May 19, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #953 of 1,324

Quote:
Yes, this happens on all analog pots:

Here's a link explaining it a bit better: http://www.nuforce.com/hp/support/analog-volume-graph.php

For this reason, some high end headphone amps have a concentric volume knob where the inner/outer rings can be rotated relative to each other to compensate for channel imbalance. 

Jack

May 21, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #954 of 1,324
Hi,
Have check my E9, if I can see also the problem [sound comes primarily from the right side] with lower volumes, but could not face it. My used cans were: AKG 240 Studio 600 ohm, KOSS UR/29 100 ohm, Creative Aurvana Live! 32 ohm. The E9 was connected to my PC using the DAC from the E7.

May 21, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #955 of 1,324

Quote:
Is there a benefit to having an analog volume control as opposed to a digital?

Anybody?  So far it looks like digital is better (no imbalance at low volumes so far as I can tell with the E7).  But I imagine they chose analog for a reason

May 22, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #956 of 1,324
The analogue pot just feels a lot more convenient compared to the digital buttons, especially of you need to make a quick adjustment. My wife comes in on occasions wanting a word and I found it much easier to turn down the volume than removing my HD650. It also allows more subtle adjustments.

May 22, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #957 of 1,324

Quote:
Anybody?  So far it looks like digital is better (no imbalance at low volumes so far as I can tell with the E7).  But I imagine they chose analog for a reason

I believe I remember reading this, but I might be wrong...

I think the people that prefer analog over digital are the audio purists. Supposedly a digital control implements an algorithm that effectively changes the original signal itself. It decodes it or whatever then re-encodes it to a very similar signal to the original but it is now louder/softer (please pardon the technicalities or lack thereof). Because of this, people want analog control so that they know that the digital signal is undisturbed and is as clean as possible. 

Again, I might be pulling this out of my butt; not sure.

May 22, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #958 of 1,324

Quote:

The potentiometer ( analog volume knob ) have better sound quality because it is a passive component and will not install any distortion and noise. of course,  it come with adjustment noise and unbalance in the first segment . you can set the gain at low to avoid the unbalance. 

the best position should be between 9:00 to 12:00 clock.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 22, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #959 of 1,324

Quote:
The potentiometer ( analog volume knob ) have better sound quality because it is a passive component and will not install any distortion and noise. of course,  it come with adjustment noise and unbalance in the first segment . you can set the gain at low to avoid the unbalance. 

the best position should be between 9:00 to 12:00 clock.

Thanks for the clarification. While we are at it, I I have my E7/E9 on high gain with the HD650. On low gain I get the impression that the mids are a bit more recessed and it is less punchy. Is this possible or just placebo?

May 22, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #960 of 1,324

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. While we are at it, I I have my E7/E9 on high gain with the HD650. On low gain I get the impression that the mids are a bit more recessed and it is less punchy. Is this possible or just placebo?

I'm not at all surprised that such power-hungry headphones perform better on high gain.  Toggle the switch to whichever sounds better, I'm sure the effect is not entirely placebo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back