FiiO E9 Review
Feb 10, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #631 of 1,324
My understanding is there's a resistor (33 Ohms, maybe?) inline with the 3.5mm jack, to pad the signal down by ~5dB.  It's set up that way for exactly the reason you mentioned -- it allows you to get more useful travel on the volume knob when using sensitive headphones/IEMs.  I haven't tried the same phones on both jacks, but I've used the 1/4" for my HD650s and 3.5mm for IEMs, and it didn't seem to me like anything was being compromised on the smaller jack.

Feb 10, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #632 of 1,324
My E9 lasted about 30 minutes before it went belly up.

Feb 11, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #633 of 1,324
Seems like all of a sudden people are having problems.

I don't know what's going on my e7 just stopped working out of no where i was at work and listened to it  and shut it off and went back to my ipod/e7 like an hour later and it didn't work. Tried every troubleshooting method i could think of tried different laptops different ipods different headphones with no luck. Strangely it still worked docked to the e9. But i contacted the micca store today and received an rma very quickly. Hopefully it takes about a week. It just sucks that i wont be able to use my set up for probably a week now and i had so much music that i wanted to try out on my new dt 990's. But that's life.

Feb 11, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #634 of 1,324

Quote:
My understanding is there's a resistor (33 Ohms, maybe?) inline with the 3.5mm jack, to pad the signal down by ~5dB.  It's set up that way for exactly the reason you mentioned -- it allows you to get more useful travel on the volume knob when using sensitive headphones/IEMs.  I haven't tried the same phones on both jacks, but I've used the 1/4" for my HD650s and 3.5mm for IEMs, and it didn't seem to me like anything was being compromised on the smaller jack.

Thanks for the input. I believe my Ultrasones are quite sensitive so I think I will go ahead and use the 3.5mm. However, being the picky/superficial guy I am, I still want to use the 1/4" plug of my headphones because I feel it's a more authentic experience, haha. All of my sources and amps before my E9 had only mini-jacks so it was refreshing to be able to use the 1/4" end for once.

Feb 11, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #635 of 1,324
The spike in problematic units is a little discomforting.  Especially with several people having problems with the e7 unit, which also may be the problematic unit in my case.

I received a response from Micca who told me the e7 is the most likely suspect in these cases and that for now I should only return that unit for RMA.  Hopefully that does turn out to be the case and at least I'll have the e9 to power my headphones in the meantime.

Feb 11, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #636 of 1,324
I alpogize in advance for probably asking a really dumb question but how do you use the e9 without the e7? I thought the e9 was simply an amp, dont you need to the e7's dac ability to use the e9? You can't just use the e9 without some sort of dac correct?

Feb 11, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #637 of 1,324
The E9 is a headphone amp and can be used as such by itself, you do not have to use the E7, you can use any DAC or go without.

For the short time it worked the E9 sounded great, I am currently waiting for the replacement from MP4 Nation, if I have another problem I will look elsewhere.

Feb 11, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #638 of 1,324
yea i no the e9 powered up my dt 990's with ease... but you cant use the e9 alone without a dac correct? Because i sent my e7 back to micca today and probably will not get a replacement until next week which means i can't use my e9 or my headphones which stinks

Feb 11, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #639 of 1,324
The DAC dock is only necessary when you want to connect through the USB getting a pure digital signal from your computer. To use the e9 as simply an amp you can plug in audio sources through the 3.5mm Line In on the back. I currently have my iPhone with a LOD hooked up to the e9 through the Line In. Works for other things such as my TV audio out as well.

Feb 11, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #640 of 1,324
Ok thats what i was thinking...when i plug my lod/ipod touch to the e9 line out i have to put the dial all the way almost to max to really have my dt990 were as if it plugged into usb on my computer its bumping out at around 12 oclock.. why is that? irs like thru line out that it doesnt power up my dt 990's

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #642 of 1,324
Got my E9 during the week. Same problem as my E7, very poor 3.5mm sockets used. I know it is cheap but when I have to keep rotating the plug to get both channels to work is annoying. Apart from that it is good and sounds nice.

Magellan I have used my MB Quart QP400 headphones which are similar to your GMP 450's and the sound is very bass light. I know the QP400's don't have the deepest bass but with the E9 it seems to vanish.

Feb 14, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #643 of 1,324

Quote:
 very poor 3.5mm sockets used. I know it is cheap but when I have to keep rotating the plug to get both channels to work is annoying.

For me, thats a deal breaker right there - you are not the first E9 owner to report this issue and it just points to a lack of detail in the design and manufacture. I know its cheap, but the price is still a very healthy deposit on something like the Matrix M-Stage or one Sheer Audio's amps.

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #644 of 1,324
Can somebody connect E7 to E9 to enable the bass boost and tell me how it sounds, how it changes SQ in terms of weight, impact and warmth but also if something in the sound is decreased in quality. Would help me big time, if you happen to own a HD 800, even better...

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #645 of 1,324
Haven't you been watching this combo for months now? Just buy it and be happy honestly... lol.

No one here can really tell you if you will like it or not. In any case it should be a significant upgrade from your current source.

You can always send it back, though you would be the first I'd know to do so out of disappointment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back