FiiO E9 Review
Feb 21, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #661 of 1,324
Quote:
The E9 isn't a bad match for any headphone. If the highs are too bright or the bass is not enough, these are faults that already existed in the headphone, and not a lacking element of the E9.

The E9 improves the sound across the board without adding or subtracting anything. Especially if the E9 is going to be someones first amplifier, this is going to be a significant upgrade regardless of the headphone.

Headphone shortcomings are... headphone shortcomings. Not the E9's. If you like how a headphone sounds unamped, or with a portable amp, you will like it better with the E9.

End of story.

CoSign.

Feb 21, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #662 of 1,324

Quote:
What I have read, and what the main reason was that I did not buy the dt880, is that they are sibilant and really bright, brighter then the k701. And yes I would reccomend the e7+e9 for the k701.

I find the K701 brighter and more sibilant than the DT880.

Feb 21, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #666 of 1,324
Grip? They were both quite comfortable. o_O
All I know is that the K701 was more ear fatiguing to me than the DT880. I had the 32ohm version. Not that it matters as all 3 DT880s are within a miniscule percentage in SQ difference. I know because I know friends with a combination of different versions which say they sound pretty much exactly the same, including the 32ohm.

I didn't like the K701 sound. It just irked me for music. It was a blessing for gaming though.

Coming from the DT990 (which we all know has RAZOR sharp treble that many can't take), I can say I found it less grating than the K701.

I honestly feel the K701 needs to have a pretty warm amp to pair with them for their own sake.

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #667 of 1,324
So I've been using the E7+E9 for about 2-3 months now and I can honestly say that the quality of the manufacturing is pretty nice. Everything feels solid and well made (except for the E7 buttons in my opinion, these seem kinda cheap).

The only problem I have is that there is a scratching sound when adjusting volume in the right channel. What I've noticed is that it happens when you first begin using it (like when I turn it on for the day), but after a while of use it goes away. I think this has been addressed before in this thread. I don't know much about these problems, but from what I've read its normal and even the most expensive amps can have this issue.

In addressing the headphone jack issue. Personally I have yet to have any problems with the E9 or E7. However, from what I understand headphone jack failure rates are pretty high on many electronics. I used to work in cell phone retail and I saw these problems a lot. When doing research on Zunes and iPods, headphone jack failure are also one of the top manufacturer defects.

Unless you abuse your headphone jack, headphone jack problems generally manifest themselves within a month. If its so, just send it back.

Thats just my take on it. I don't have statistics to say how high or low the Fiio failure rate is, but I do know that this is a common problem among electronics.

Feb 22, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #668 of 1,324
Yeah, I DON'T like the 3.5mm headphone jack on the E9. I initially had a problem (which for some reason went away), but it's not very forgiving on whatever connects to it. It's a mission to plug stuff into it, and I don't feel good about constantly connecting and disconnecting stuff into it. The 6.3mm jack however is super easy and stable. I feel good about just plugging my stuff into that jack.

Feb 22, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #670 of 1,324

Quote:
^ That's what she said.

My 3.5 mm jack is fine. No problems.

atsmile.gif

Feb 22, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #671 of 1,324

Quote:
^ That's what she said.

My 3.5 mm jack is fine. No problems.

Damn you...just...damn you. XD

Mine is fine too. It's just that it's pretty heavy duty in that it requires a bit more force to plug stuff into it than regular 3.5mm jacks. She's a bit tight....
ph34r.gif

Feb 22, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #673 of 1,324
While there is no single deal breaker anywhere in this thread, the cumulative impression is that Fiio dropped the ball in small but significant areas.  I still think its worth taking a little longer and getting the M-Stage - just my opinion. Perfect world, I would get both and compare them, but sadly the streets arent paved with gold :frowning2:

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #674 of 1,324
I for one wouldn't pay more than double the price of the E9 just because the 3.5mm jack is a bit of a pain to plug into, and because there is some noise when adjusting volume. That's ridiculous.

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #675 of 1,324
Quote:
I for one wouldn't pay more than double the price of the E9 just because the 3.5mm jack is a bit of a pain to plug into, and because there is some noise when adjusting volume. That's ridiculous.

LOL, ya can't please everybody all of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back