FiiO E9 Review
Dec 30, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #481 of 1,324
Have any of you guys tried the Fiio E9  with Linux if so did it install any drivers. I asking that It looks temping I do have Linux as my other OS tho since linux is missing a volume bar I need to control the volume to my hp amp out right on my STX. I might grab this and use it instead of a sound card.Then again I just notice on a couple pages back that the E7 is needed to use it as a DAC =/.

Dec 30, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #482 of 1,324
Valiente got Fiio E9:

Initial Pictures:
Box

E9 with PA2V2

Will E9 ($120) be double fun of PA2V2($60)?

Initial impressions: 0-20 minutes
The E9 performance is just on par with PA2V2. In fact, before I listen to E9, I listen first the song with Pa2v2, and I will favor my Pa2v2 over the E9. However, after some songs followed, I found that E9 made some instruments in the song clearer than Pa2v2. 

The tracks in Celine's "These are Special Times" CD has a better RESOLUTION on the E9 than PA2V2 via the K701. Resolution refers to the ability of headphones to communicate the fine details of the music encoded in the recording.  

Second Impression: 30 minutes-1 hour
E9 with Grado SR60!

Good news! SR60 rocks to its maximum potential with E9, I assume. Here are some improvements: increase soundstage, bass-the best bass I've heard from SR60-so tight, deep bass with impact-which I never think will come out from SR60. One more improvement is resolution-more details in music!

Yeah my SR60 rocks more! I'm in love with my SR60 again. Bring out that CDs again. Rock CDs are rockier this time! "Hotel California" bass is awesome!

I'm really happy that I'm hearing my headphone in its maximum potential! This is eargasm, I think. Except with K701- a headphone that is really hard like a rock-it's so shy to show out its best. But still I'm happy with it cos it is a headphone to grow with-a headphone with lots of potentials!

Impression #3: 1 hour-2 hours
Though I've said SR60 & E9 is a extra ordinary combination, I am still preferring K701 & E9 combo despite some shortcomings like less bass. One reason is SR60 is really a colored headphone, yeah it sounds great, however, K701 is of different level! A headphone that is so clear, balance, voices & instruments are realistic to ears. A good headphone has a sound that is close to real or live sound! K701 is closer to real/live sound than SR60!

K701 has TRANSPARENCY. Transparency refers to the headphone's ability to present a "clear window" on the music, free of distortions and colorations. Guys, I learned this two words from the review article from Stereophile. He said that the two most important attributes that define loudspeaker quality are resolution and transparency. He found it out from the Class A loudspeaker he reviewed-a Monitor Audio speaker. By the way, K701 is Class A Stereophile Component, too. 

If you are on a budget, I might already suggest K701 & E9 on your list at this moment of time...

Impressions: After 3 hours
What's the advantage of E9 over PA2V2 via K701?
1. PA2V2 has more treble than E9-making it tiring to ears-plus to E9!
2. Aesthetically, E9's volume knob is better than PA2V2-it's smoother while PA2V2 has noise when you move the pot, imbalance channels sometimes, difficult to adjust another plus to E9!
3. E9 has around 10% wider soundstage at this point in time from PA2V2-another plus!
4. E9 has more 10% musical details than PA2V2, a good for detail freaks! Obviously, if you're going to ask me, which I prefer E9 or PA2V2, my answer will be E9!

But another good questions might be, "Is E9 worth buying at $120?"
My answer: After 3 hours of listening , I think its performance did not yet reach it price. I have a $60 very good amp that is around on par with E9 sound quality performance. Maybe, after some burning process. I have read it will took 300+ hours to completely got its juice as with other amps. Maybe this will also be true to E9.

E9 power on. Left alone for burning process. I want to rest my ears.

Impressions: After 5 hours
At last I heard something new and I have goosebumps! When I played Josh Groban's CD, his vocals were amazing on K701, very expressive from the lowest to the highest notes, he hit it! "To Where You Are" is the track that was awesome to hear. I assume that this is TRANSPARENCY, K701 presented me the music free of distortions and colorations. What I love with K701, even at low volume, you will be able to hear the details of music-protecting our priceless ears! By the way "The Prayer" a duet of Groban and Charlotte Church was also an amazing track. I'm listening at no greater than 9 o'clock with E9 high gain switched.

Another observation is with The Carlyle Sessions of Christopher Cross. The voices and instruments played on every track via K701 was close to realistic sound than my SR60-which sounds "BLOATED." Another transparency point here for K701!

Impressions: After 12 hours

K701 can do rap in a different way! Yes it can play rap. When I was a kid I love to rap. Andrew E., our local rapper sounded so good-what K701 differs is it focuses on vocals instead of bass or treble part of the song. I assume I have heard "Humanap Ka ng Panget" in a different way-which is a better way! In other words, the key strength is on VOCALS. You will be carried out by the near realistic voice of every singer-be it rap, rock, classic or any genre, which is awesome!

So what's the status now of E9?
By the way, I have re-listened to all my CDs-more or less 50 CDs! E9 performance is getting better at this time. If I'm going to recompute how many percent better than PA2V2, before E9 is 10% better than PA2V2, at this point in time, around E9 is 15% better than PA2V2, in general. Will I go back to my PA2V2? Well, maybe not anymore! I have a new kid in the name of Fiio E9!

How about Grado SR60?
Well, Grado served me so well for my first year of headphone business. It opened the door for audiophile ears. It is my benchmark before, but now I also have a new benchmark of sound quality, in the name of K701!

Finally, what lessons have you learned out of this review?
1. K701 is hard rock- I mean a headphone meant for serious headphone business! A headphone that will make you crazy!
2. Headphone journey is a serious business but at the same time a hobby that is meant to be treasured as you grow older. I''m only 3 years with headfi. I had 2 headphones, SR60 & K701. I had two amps: PA2V2 & E9. Will I add another one? My answer is sure. Yes, I will buy a better headphone than K701, I might go for LCD-2, based on reviews. Will I buy another amp? My answer is sure again. Yes, I will buy another amp that will be better than E9. Whoah! This is now really getting serious! But I love it! 
And the third reason why I'm still in this website-the most important of all is:
3. Music is a very good communication tool. I love music!

Guys, thank you for reading my review, it might be simple for you but I learned so much from it, especially about RESOLUTION and TRANSPARENCY!

Folks, some impressions might still follow... 

Again, HAPPY NEW Y....EARS!
Do you like that?

Part II Impression: The better impression comes after turning on amp every night for around 1 month!

A near $100 headphone desktop amp can really transform a very hard to drive headphone into a higher level .

I was surprised E9 managed to do this. $60 portable amp can't do good for K701-spend an extra $40-get the E9- You will be surprised by the big difference-it is night and day difference actually!

Who said you will not enjoy K701? This is not true. K701 is very enjoyable even with a $100 desktop headphone amp. Played TOTO CD, you will be carried out by the energy-the soundstage, the details-pretty amazing!

Conclusion: If you have limited budget to match a K701- the E9 is worthy buy! Congrats Fiio!!!

VALIENTE'S RECOMMENDED HEADPHONE AMP for BUDGET CONSCIOUS HEADFIERS!

Dec 30, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #483 of 1,324
What headphones are you using to compare these with? Any hard to drive headphones, other than the K701? I ask because I actually preferred my K701 with the E7 over the E9 (though it's the only headphone I have used that I didhn't favor the E9's with), though it was because of the Bass Boost settings.

That and the Grado SR60 is very easy to drive, so using the E9 with it wouldn't do much for it to begin with.

Dec 30, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #484 of 1,324

Quote:
have any one ever open op their E9 if so does it has a Dip-8 socket, I wondering because I like to try different op-amps from time to time.Because of the E9 looking so temping since I thought about a External USB DAC/amp In The Future, So I could change op-amps without having to open my comp every time.

Also can the DAC be disabled so it could be used with another source thru the Line In. Like if I wanted to use my STX as a DAC and the E9 as the Amp.

Indeed, this was done. We took a new production unit and disassembled it for the benefit of the community. :D

Take a look:

http://forum.miccastore.com/index.php/topic,175.0.html

Jack

Dec 30, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #485 of 1,324
I would still like to know if E9 + HD 800 users are happy with that combination. Ohms are not everything, the HD 800 are picky when it comes to revealing their magic. For example, how does the E9 compare against the BCL, both are apparently very transparent, solid state headphone amps...

Dec 30, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #486 of 1,324
I have reason to believe owners of HD800s wouldn't look at the E9 as an amp solution. They're more likely to go with prestigious tube amps.

Dec 31, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #489 of 1,324
im choosing between a Little Dot mkIII or the Fiio E9? 
the LD mkIII  is twice a expensive than the E9. 
and i would like to be more future proof for upcoming headphones im planning to buy like a hd600 or a beyer dt150. 
will i be happy with a just an E9 or will i be more happier with the LD mkIII.. 
what i worry the most with LD MKIII is I may spend more replacing the default tubes.. . 
confused.gif

Dec 31, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #492 of 1,324
just went to Fiio's site and got a note there that they're using "ALPS sealed low noise potentiometer"
if thats the case then having scratchy pots should be very minimal considering their sealed..  :frowning2:

Jan 1, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #493 of 1,324

Quote:
Quote:
have any one ever open op their E9 if so does it has a Dip-8 socket, I wondering because I like to try different op-amps from time to time.Because of the E9 looking so temping since I thought about a External USB DAC/amp In The Future, So I could change op-amps without having to open my comp every time.

Also can the DAC be disabled so it could be used with another source thru the Line In. Like if I wanted to use my STX as a DAC and the E9 as the Amp.

Indeed, this was done. We took a new production unit and disassembled it for the benefit of the community. :D

Take a look:

http://forum.miccastore.com/index.php/topic,175.0.html

Jack

@Jack-Micca

do you happen to verify what volume potentiometer potentiometer its using? thanks..  
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #494 of 1,324

Quote:
im choosing between a Little Dot mkIII or the Fiio E9? 
the LD mkIII  is twice a expensive than the E9. 
and i would like to be more future proof for upcoming headphones im planning to buy like a hd600 or a beyer dt150. 
will i be happy with a just an E9 or will i be more happier with the LD mkIII.. 
what i worry the most with LD MKIII is I may spend more replacing the default tubes.. . 
confused.gif

My new year wish is that FIIO would come out with a low cost TUBE amp so guuuuuud that it will kickkkk some BIGbrandedmetalboxes up the $$$ladder..
deadhorse.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back