FiiO E5 USB Interference?
Feb 10, 2010 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Nadia

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm having a fairly annoying issue with my FiiO E5 - it hisses and almost squeals loudly while it's plugged into my USB port (charging) at the same time as I'm using it. As soon as I unplug it from the USB port and use it straight from its battery, it's practically silent between tracks. I can only assume that this is some kind of interference. Is anyone else having this problem? Any idea how to solve it?

Feb 10, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #2 of 10
It happens to me too, I really don't think you can avoid it considering the e5s price point.

Feb 10, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamthecheese /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It happens to me too, I really don't think you can avoid it considering the e5s price point.

Ah.. I kind of figured. It was worth a shot. Maybe I'll spring for a more expensive desktop model and use my FiiO strictly for on-the-go listening.

Feb 10, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by insyte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmmmm enough reason for me to skip this one
frown.gif

Yeah, it might be. I haven't seen anything about this issue anywhere else, so I thought I'd at least let people know if it turned out it wasn't just my unit. The whole interference thing sucks, but it's a great little amp overall. Maybe the upcoming E7 will be a more suitable laptop amp?

Feb 11, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #6 of 10
Easy solutions:
1) charge it overnight?
2) don't listen while charging?

It only takes about 2 hours to charge, if I recall.

Feb 11, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #7 of 10
One thing to note too is that some computer is "noisier" then others.
If you can, try it with other computer or even better, a laptop that is running on battery and see how it goes.

Feb 11, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing to note too is that some computer is "noisier" then others.
If you can, try it with other computer or even better, a laptop that is running on battery and see how it goes.

I second the suggestion. My laptop produces no noise through a usb connection when running off battery, and a low level (but audible) crackle/hiss when the AC adapter is connected.

Feb 11, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #9 of 10
This 'problem' has been discussed a long time ago. The reason is the computer's USB power isn't 'clean' enough and the floor noise get picked up by E5 as it doesn't have a very strong filter on the battery charging circuit to deal with dirty signal.

Feb 11, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This 'problem' has been discussed a long time ago. The reason is the computer's USB power isn't 'clean' enough and the floor noise get picked up by E5 as it doesn't have a very strong filter on the battery charging circuit to deal with dirty signal.

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation, and sorry for the apparent repost. I honestly couldn't find anything, anywhere about this.

By the way, none of the fixes above worked for me. I work solely from a laptop (Macbook, to be precise), so that's what's been giving me the crazy noises from the start, and unplugging the power cord didn't change the level of noise at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back